Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything Andre said for skills could be said for structure too. Running full pelt to take a mark with the flight if the ball doesn’t exactly aid accuracy when your heart is beating out your ears

How much better did Charlie Dixon’s goal kicking accuracy look this weekend?

I’ll wager he didn’t run the massive amount of kms up the ground and back again he is expected to do in the afl side and I’ll further wager it’s no coincidence his accuracy was better when he wasn’t gassed with heavy legs from that running.

It's becoming apparent that we've inadvertently been handed one of the hardest draws of any team.

Three of our double ups are against the three most improved teams in the league - Freo, Adelaide and Brisbane. We've also got a double up against last year's minor premiers Richmond. So 4 of our 5 double ups are against teams that will likely play finals. The other double up is against North, a middling team on about our level.
If we cant beat Freo, Brisbane and Adelaide in the 2md half of the year there is no point making finals.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's becoming apparent that we've inadvertently been handed one of the hardest draws of any team.

Three of our double ups are against the three most improved teams in the league - Freo, Adelaide and Brisbane. We've also got a double up against last year's minor premiers Richmond. So 4 of our 5 double ups are against teams that will likely play finals. The other double up is against North, a middling team on about our level.
It is a hard draw for sure but when we have an easier draw we still come up short.
Over the years our biggest problem is losing the games we should win easy.
Even this year the loss to a Richmond reserves side and then beating the raining premier on there home ground just adds to the frustration.
I have given up trying to work out just what Port side is going to turn up from week to week.

Everything Andre said for skills could be said for structure too. Running full pelt to take a mark with the flight if the ball doesn’t exactly aid accuracy when your heart is beating out your ears
I wonder how much our 'structure' is driven by skills? By that I mean, our coaches can't rely on our players to hit up teammates properly, so they have a game plan that puts our players clear of the opposition (after running 50 metres), so they won't be contesting marks all the time. Of course they are then stuffed and have to have a teammate in the clear for the next in chain as they have heavy legs / lungs for their disposal (to layer over poor skills to begin with).

It feels like the coaches are trying to fix the symptom and not the disease. I wonder how much of this is misuse of analytics. Like the data guys have said 'We have more retention of the ball at individual contest's where the players are 20 metres in the clear, then the AFL average'. So the coaches build the plan around that 'advantage', rather than digging deeper as to why it's higher and we are so poor off of more optimal positioning.

Wasn't there a graphic on free kick count differential (for this year or over past few years, forget which) showing we weren't as hard done by as we all think we are?

Attachments

• CE54C9FB-7C8D-4CCC-9503-41411C40CA80.jpeg
    CE54C9FB-7C8D-4CCC-9503-41411C40CA80.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 83
I would say those numbers back up our general feeling. We haven't had a positive free kick differential since the Hinkley reign began in 2013 and that trend has continued this year. That's 7 straight years of negative free kick differentials.

In all my years of watching this club play, there are only two games where I felt we got the better end of the deal from the umpires and they were Sydney in the wet at AAMI in 2013 and Bulldogs at AO in 2016.

So that's 2 games out of about 400.

So we're midtable for free kicks.

The real story is West Coast's systematic free kick differential for the past 15 years.

While it's a given that a good portion of Crows' supporters harbor a self-righteous and entitled attitude (bordering on psychopathic) anytime the differential isn't overwhelmingly in their favour, it doesn't look like they're any more blessed with the umpires than we are.

With that said, would be interesting to see the same stats with West Coast excluded.

So we're midtable for free kicks.

The real story is West Coast's systematic free kick differential for the past 15 years.

While it's a given that a good portion of Crows' supporters harbor a self-righteous and entitled attitude (bordering on psychopathic) anytime the differential isn't overwhelmingly in their favour, it doesn't look like they're any more blessed with the umpires than we are.

With that said, would be interesting to see the same stats with West Coast excluded.
Au contraire Crows have had a very decent run since 2013 compared to Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Au contraire Crows have had a very decent run since 2013 compared to Port.
How do we rate over past 5 years compared to our competitors?
Don't get me wrong I'm all for conspiracies, but we've got enough grievances to fight (prison bars / stadium deal / FTA coverage and sponsorship exposure anyone?) without jumping at shadows.

I wonder how much our 'structure' is driven by skills? By that I mean, our coaches can't rely on our players to hit up teammates properly, so they have a game plan that puts our players clear of the opposition (after running 50 metres), so they won't be contesting marks all the time. Of course they are then stuffed and have to have a teammate in the clear for the next in chain as they have heavy legs / lungs for their disposal (to layer over poor skills to begin with).

It feels like the coaches are trying to fix the symptom and not the disease. I wonder how much of this is misuse of analytics. Like the data guys have said 'We have more retention of the ball at individual contest's where the players are 20 metres in the clear, then the AFL average'. So the coaches build the plan around that 'advantage', rather than digging deeper as to why it's higher and we are so poor off of more optimal positioning.
You know what structure works best for poor skills?

Put several tall blokes up forward spaced evenly with quality smalls at their feet and and get it in to them fast and long.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aside from SANFL politics/bleeding us dry criminal activities I reckon you can trace back the roots of our demise to the 2004 off-season (insert GW mission accomplished jpeg).
You’re going to trigger me! That ******* 2004 trade and draft period were the starting point. Thurstans off a 3 goal GF had a one time premium with clubs crying out for KPF’s. Port boy Thompson begging to come home whilst Choco blind to anything other than sweet talking Carr.

Must breathe. Don’t scream in public. Sigh.

You’re going to trigger me! That ******* 2004 trade and draft period were the starting point. Thurstans off a 3 goal GF had a one time premium with clubs crying out for KPF’s. Port boy Thompson begging to come home whilst Choco blind to anything other than sweet talking Carr.

Must breathe. Don’t scream in public. Sigh.
All while quality staff were walking out the door.. it was a shitshow all round.

We should be questioning whether there is a gambling problem with umpires. Look at the frees count for the Bulldogs in 2016, all the media praised the Bullies but did not question the umpires!

We should be questioning whether there is a gambling problem with umpires. Look at the frees count for the Bulldogs in 2016, all the media praised the Bullies but did not question the umpires!
The AFL integrity unit, or whatever it's called, need to seriously look at umpires that aren't giving an equal amount of frees to both teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back