Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Butters is a bit lucky that Rozee and Duursma were so good. Lazy journos keep throwing out the 'Port's first round picks all had excellent seasons' line. Butters was fine for his age this year, certainly showed plenty of glimpses, but he was nowhere near Rozee and Duursma's level.
One of Butters best games was a pre-season game in the middle. Not sure why he didn't get much of a go in there during the year.

Just noticed the following stats on FootyWire

So the team for all South Australians averaged a massive 2660 more supporters at games this year than us, with 2/3rds of the support of the state?

I'm shocked.

22​
788,328​
35,833​
22​
787,621​
35,801​
22​
742,420​
33,746​
22​
729,811​
33,173​

I reckon Butters is a bit lucky that Rozee and Duursma were so good. Lazy journos keep throwing out the 'Port's first round picks all had excellent seasons' line. Butters was fine for his age this year, certainly showed plenty of glimpses, but he was nowhere near Rozee and Duursma's level.

Rozee and Duursma are already professionals the way Walsh and Smith are. They might be under 20 but they treat football as a career.

Butters is still a kid. He's more your typical draftee who is just excited to be out there.

Just noticed the following stats on FootyWire

So the team for all South Australians averaged a massive 2660 more supporters at games this year than us, with 2/3rds of the support of the state?

I'm shocked.

22​
788,328​
35,833​
22​
787,621​
35,801​
22​
742,420​
33,746​
22​
729,811​
33,173​
Should be comparing home game attendances. We're well beaten at 44,514 vs 33,950.

Roger Rasheed was an interesting interview today on abc radio. Basically was interviewed solely on how he thought Port went this year. Doesn't buy into the "mini rebuild/evolution" narrative saying that you never know what each individual year throws up and there's no natural progression or words to that effect. Gave his thoughts on erratic performances re tennis players and said the great players get the business done when they need to against players they're expected to beat and use their adrenaline games against the best.

Roger Rasheed was an interesting interview today on abc radio. Basically was interviewed solely on how he thought Port went this year. Doesn't buy into the "mini rebuild/evolution" narrative saying that you never know what each individual year throws up and there's no natural progression or words to that effect. Gave his thoughts on erratic performances re tennis players and said the great players get the business done when they need to against players they're expected to beat and use their adrenaline games against the best.
Hopefully Boss351 can find us a link?please.

In tennis terms we are Nick Kyrgios - inconsistent, can beat anybody, can be entertaining, are frustrating, but never get much past the 3rd or 4th round, occasionally make the quarter finals of the slams, destined never to reach our full potential unless something dramatic changes.

In tennis terms we are Nick Kyrgios - inconsistent, can beat anybody, can be entertaining, are frustrating, but never get much past the 3rd or 4th round, occasionally make the quarter finals of the slams, destined never to reach our full potential unless something dramatic changes.
Nick Kyrgios has money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our 2019 B&F Award results:

Talking to a person today who arrived here from UK three months ago. Follows Manchester United. Family did a tour of Adelaide Oval because of cricket history mainly, but also interested with Aussie Rules, but following no team. The Adelaide Oval tour guide they had that day, only promoted Adelaide Football Club for anyone who didn't have a side to support. The family are now Crows supporters because of that tour guide. Keeping in mind the large number of new immigrants (AO visitors) that arrive in SA each year, i wonder how often this spruiking happens ?
A minor matter in the scheme of things i know, but given the stadium is not owned by AFC, i don't think such promotion of one team over another is appropriate especially when the public paid AO for the tour. As a matter of principle, will be writing to AO for response.

Talking to a person today who arrived here from UK three months ago. Follows Manchester United. Family did a tour of Adelaide Oval because of cricket history mainly, but also interested with Aussie Rules, but following no team. The Adelaide Oval tour guide they had that day, only promoted Adelaide Football Club for anyone who didn't have a side to support. The family are now Crows supporters because of that tour guide. Keeping in mind the large number of new immigrants (AO visitors) that arrive in SA each year, i wonder how often this spruiking happens ?
A minor matter in the scheme of things i know, but given the stadium is not owned by AFC, i don't think such promotion of one team over another is appropriate especially when the public paid AO for the tour. As a matter of principle, will be writing to AO for response.
We are the Chicago White Sox of Adelaide; black and white and all...

Not too late to effect a conversion, especially with frozen membership prices and a free scarf ;)

(bit rich I know coming from a Sharks fan, to whom conversion is a hithertofore unknown phenomenon)

I've done a tour and the guide was a big Port fan, and kept talking about Port. They're volunteers, so it just depends on who you get really.

I've done a tour and the guide was a big Port fan, and kept talking about Port. They're volunteers, so it just depends on who you get really.

Fair enough - talking about Port and encouraging to support Port are two different things though but I get your point. Enthusiastic volunteers. Thanks for notifying guides are unpaid employees.

Your tour would have been more interesting 😉

Former Pollie Chris Schacht was on ABC 891 this morning talking about both SA teams and how we're hamstrung the way we're currently set up. He's a crows man but had some really interesting things to say about us being franchises of the AFL and how they wouldn't give a rats about how we perform etc as long as we're in the market contributing to TV ratings, merchandise etc. Also had some thoughts on how our boards should be elected by the members. Really worth a listen.

Listen here

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/adelaide/programs/mornings/mornings/11455016 @ around 40 min mark going for about 15min.

Former Pollie Chris Schacht was on ABC 891 this morning talking about both SA teams and how we're hamstrung the way we're currently set up. He's a crows man but had some really interesting things to say about us being franchises of the AFL and how they wouldn't give a rats about how we perform etc as long as we're in the market contributing to TV ratings, merchandise etc. Also had some thoughts on how our boards should be elected by the members. Really worth a listen.

Listen here

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/adelaide/programs/mornings/mornings/11455016 @ around 40 min mark going for about 15min.

Interesting. Who would put the change of governance to the ACCC? Certainly not the people in charge at either club. It would have to be someone like Schacht with some serious political/commercial support.

Friend of mine is a Club 1870 member and AO volunteer who takes tours and talks up Ports.

I agree with OneGreatClub though, Ports should definitely report any Camry Crows supporting AO volunteers to the SMA. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back