Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

This was weird because later in the 1978 season Faletic joined Port.

Did he play for us against Torrens in the 1978 elimination final? I recall us belting them in front of a big crowd, that would have added spice to the mix.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Did he play for us against Torrens in the 1978 elimination final? I recall us belting them in front of a big crowd, that would have added spice to the mix.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

He would have. We belted them by 90 odd as I recall.

Matt Rendell was the young ruck tyro for Torrens.

Ian Jackman who had been at Port for a few seasons after joining from South shifted to Torrens that year. Had a really good season but Bruce Light might have rendered him a non-factor in the final. ;)

Bit of a random Port/SANFL question from 80s..

..just been reading on a Facebook page some comments from some South Adelaide people (including ex South players), re the Andrew Obst/Brenton Honor incident from circa late 80s.

I was a teenager in 80s and I do recall it happening, but wasn't at the game, nor can I recall seeing footage (although I probably did see it).

What I'm wondering about is, does anyone have any further info to put the incident into perspective?

Eg. Was it a case of Obst reacting to being tagged all day? (similar to Aish retaliating to Bradley Ryan a few years earlier)...was it payback for an earlier incident?...was it simply a brain-snap?

My reason for asking is, that Obst was one of my favourite players, and it just seemed (to me) to be so out of character.
Was at that game.
Honor tangled with Obst after a centre clearance.
Gave Obst a whack across the face, but nothing to vicious.
Obst just went "bang" and probably overdid it, and poor Honor suffered horribly because of it.
Was it an over reaction by Andrew? Most probably.
Should Honor have expected retribution for being a pain in the arse? Without doubt.

End result was I think Obst got some games for it. Honor brought a court case against Obst. That petered out from memory.

Koch, CD and others pissed off with the SANFL starting to make waves.

Why would we need to change our brand?

VFL has two Lions, two Tigers, two brown-gold clubs, and three black-yellow clubs.

Why there couldn’t be two black-white Magpies?

He would have. We belted them by 90 odd as I recall.

Matt Rendell was the young ruck tyro for Torrens.

Ian Jackman who had been at Port for a few seasons after joining from South shifted to Torrens that year. Had a really good season but Bruce Light might have rendered him a non-factor in the final. ;)

My mates dad who followed Torrens christened him Mild and Pathetic the moment he left.

Which was hilarious to him until the premierships.

How did he get the nickname spoof??

I was told by Timmy G himself the reason but it’s not for public consumption.

All I can say is...
Footy trip. Spa. Alone time. Floaters.

My mates dad who followed Torrens christened him Mild and Pathetic the moment he left.

Which was hilarious to him until the premierships.
I met him at the start of this year when he came into my work. I was happy to hear he was a huge Port fan in the AFL and was extremely upset and disappointed we blew our chance at a flag in 2020.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The shade of blue in the current State guernsey is so wrong. It's supposed to by royal blue, not Camry Navy farken.

To the SANFL, reverting to the colour sported by your biggest rival makes all the sense.

I was told by Timmy G himself the reason but it’s not for public consumption.

All I can say is...
Footy trip. Spa. Alone time. Floaters.

He in fact got it at Torrens and it’s related to the top of his head looking like spoof when he started balding.

He in fact got it at Torrens and it’s related to the top of his head looking like spoof when he started balding.

Timmy G lied to me. My whole world view is shattered.

He’s a performer. Sounds like he embellished this one a bit.

It was a pretty colourful story, as you could imagine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back