Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

From this morning's Monopoly Times...

The headline promises a lot but really delivers nothing, with Chris Davies saying,

“We wanted to trade up the order and have the greatest flexibility in terms of a type in addition to high talent.” he [Davies} said.
“We will go in with a mindset of picking the best particular player at that level of the draft.”

Geez Chris I reckon most of us could have figured that out.

Interesting news is further down in that Sam Powell-Pepper has been put on notice.
I also read he said port are backing to improve from within.
I other words we are to poor to pay for new players unless we can get them on the cheap.

I also read he said port are backing to improve from within.
I other words we are to poor to pay for new players unless we can get them on the cheap.
In other words, you are just making up crap to suit your narrative?

We've brought in players the past few years, and apart from Merrett early on no real player was actually available apart from Dawson who wasn't a need we had to overpay for.

People don't seem to understand you can't just magically trade in a player because you want to no matter how much cash you have or don't have.

In other words, you are just making up crap to suit your narrative?

We've brought in players the past few years, and apart from Merrett early on no real player was actually available apart from Dawson who wasn't a need we had to overpay for.

People don't seem to understand you can't just magically trade in a player because you want to no matter how much cash you have or don't have.
You can lure guys umpteen months out through managers etc. but you are right there wasn't much movement or big names at all this year.

1634549593185.png

Also Jack Trengove (Prince Alfred OC) and Louis Sharrad (Port Districts) named in the Div 1 team of the year. Trengove also named Captain of the side.

Apologies if already posted. I gotta stop reading the comments sections on these things.

Bafflingly random as it is, given the replies you’d think they were asking about Jacob Surjan.

Apologies if already posted. I gotta stop reading the comments sections on these things.

Bafflingly random as it is, given the replies you’d think they were asking about Jacob Surjan.

Not my fav person in the Port Adelaide realm but he'd be a star in any era with his size, agility, versatility & strength.

People are clueless didn't he go into at least two brownlow counts in the favs.. hurr durr spud durr.

Wasn't my favourite by a long shot but (c.cornes) was a gun. Easy top 10...
Top 5? Well that would be a good discussion.
2004 team today would go near on under defeated and become a dynasty.

Chad came third in the Brownlow in 2004. The same year Facebook started.

Bloody Port.

Someone likes Pavlich gets a lot of 'we don't realise how good he was', as Perth is so far way, the industry seems to be aware that they don't know much about it.

Adelaide however is considered both close enough to not cause any awareness of ignorance, but also far away enough to cause that ignorance.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I made the statement (to another Port player in Chad’s presence) that I considered Chad our most important player for our 2004 campaign. I am pleased to say that is the way it turned out (not just because of my view). It just was. And I will forever be grateful to him. Is he in the top 5 ever. Simply because he enabled the premiership and would not have happened without him, yes I would find a way to squeeze him in.

I made the statement (to another Port player in Chad’s presence) that I considered Chad our most important player for our 2004 campaign. I am pleased to say that is the way it turned out (not just because of my view). It just was. And I will forever be grateful to him. Is he in the top 5 ever. Simply because he enabled the premiership and would not have happened without him, yes I would find a way to squeeze him in.
He had a presence about him and boy oh boy could he mark a ball. I don't warm to him personally but loved the way he rubbed up the neighbours.

He had enough gravitas to make it count too which irritated them all the more. Given who his father is I shook my head with disbelief and had

the broadest grin when he got up their nose. Say what you will about him but he really knew how to shove it up 'em.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had a presence about him and boy oh boy could he mark a ball. I don't warm to him personally but loved the way he rubbed up the neighbours.

He had enough gravitas to make it count too which irritated them all the more. Given who his father is I shook my head with disbelief and had

the broadest grin when he got up their nose. Say what you will about him but he really knew how to shove it up 'em.

Out of the two boys he was certainly the most like his dad as far as style of footballer. His old man knew how to stir s**t also both on and of the field.

Chad is the modern defender prototype. Athletic, marks as a priority with outrageously sticky hands and likes to rebound. He'd be a champion in this era as he was then. As a midfielder he'd be excellent as well.

With all the frothing about tall, high-marking, gamebreaking midfielders — Fyfe, Cripps and Bontempelli chief among them — could you imagine if he came on the scene today, with his superior defensive IQ, speed and goalsense?

Easily a number one pick.

Chad would have made 6 consecutive AAs at ChB had he played now. His 04 was the blueprint for modern defensive play.

Super fit, tall, aggressive, sticky hands, elite reader of the play. If he played full time midfield then he would actually be what the media believe Cripps is

With all the frothing about tall, high-marking, gamebreaking midfielders — Fyfe, Cripps and Bontempelli chief among them — could you imagine if he came on the scene today, with his superior defensive IQ, speed and goalsense?

Easily a number one pick.
Had he been a Victorian he'd have been pedestaled as a club great, revered and lauded ad nauseam. The Cornes family could then bask in a profile

they'd have seen as a natural order of 'things'. Instead they've been confined to the big fish in small pond syndrome. Gra Gra consigned to whining

and bleating from the cheap seats as the all powerful Vic media, pick the scab that is the crows camp. :tearsofjoy:

And remember when Chad had the spiral break in his finger in 2008 and was considering having it amputated because it affected his marking?

Chad was an unbelievable player in full flight. His 2007 as a midfielder was as commanding as any of these so called modern day prototypes.

Unfortunately, like Tredders, injury probably shortened his peak years so people forget how dominant he was in his prime.

And remember when Chad had the spiral break in his finger in 2008 and was considering having it amputated because it affected his marking?

Was so Port — had been in absolutely outrageous form to start that season. An all-action dynamo at the peak of his powers, on the cusp of transcending the game with his combination of aerial and midfield destruction.

And then he mangles his hand, compounded by the trainer/doctor initially misdiagnosing it as a simple dislocation and yanking it every which way, and is never the same again.

His performance in the first Showdown of 2008 was overshadowed by all the blood and thunder hits and tackles — and the narrow defeat — but remains one of the greatest I’ve seen.

34 touches
12 marks (2 contested)
7 inside50
6 clearances
2 goals

Absolutely imperious.

I'd s**t in my hands and clap before I read a twitter thread or facebook comments section about a post like this. They can't even bring themselves to rate Tredrea despite him being THE dominant force in the league for half a decade. Chad has no chance, despite being the prototype modern CHB and a Koutaesque midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back