Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on, Jasper Pittard is in your leadership group and somehow that means it's Port that have a problem? Might want to look in the mirror lol.

I reckon the fact that he was basically dumped and progressed excellently in his brief time at North does suggest there's something amiss at Port, but you already know that.

I thought we were busy trying to be like Richmond?
Oh we're from Port Adelaide
A mediocre mob
We're from Port Adelaide
In most weather you will see us with a grin
Shirking contests isn't a sin
If we're behind then never mind
Because someone has to lose
For we're from Port Adelaide

He was never going to come good at Port. That passed him here, he was shot.
Nearly everyone of us are glad he has gone elsewhere and made a go of it! A solid person and potentially very good footballer.

There's no intimation of anything like that on my behalf mate, nor was I being a gloating smart arse.

I post it because 1) I know many of the Port folks want to see him kick on, and 2) to reinforce a lot of the discussion I had with a few here last year, that being faulty team tactics & strategies. IMO, you're a list that should give top 4 a shake, but we're not seeing that.

I reckon the fact that he was basically dumped and progressed excellently in his brief time at North does suggest there's something amiss at Port, but you already know that.

The amount of smug you have been here displaying ever since jasper was traded to you is not really endearing. There are not many here who wish bad fortune on jasper. We all know that at his best, jasper was a good player, hence his all Australian squad nod in his best season here. We also lucked into a decent bit of half back steak knives in Ryan burton who most of us would prefer in the team to Pittard, leaving no real spot for him in our team. So can we just agree that it was a good move for all parties and be happy about it?

There's no intimation of anything like that on my behalf mate, nor was I being a gloating smart arse.

I post it because 1) I know many of the Port folks want to see him kick on, and 2) to reinforce a lot of the discussion I had with a few here last year, that being faulty team tactics & strategies. IMO, you're a list that should give top 4 a shake, but we're not seeing that.

And I hit post on my initial reply a few seconds too late to get in before this, which may make my post seem a bit harsh.

Last edited:
Not to quell the unbridled Jasper love you have but we've seen him play better than last year & we've also seen him play like he's just landed from Mars 'n never seen a football before in his life.. come back in three years.

There are three Pittards and only one of them was wanted or needed at Port.
1. AA level Pittard, a fantastic player who takes the game on etc.
2. Average Pittard, a solid defender, very good at backing up others.
3. FFS Pittard, someone who costs close games and destroys team morale.

The issue for Port was that we were only getting average and ffs Pittard.
The average wasn’t enough to make up for the ffs.

It looks like Pittard has worked out how to maintain the average game, good on him. It’s a solid AFL standard, but it’s also a huge shame we probably won’t see his full potential trial because of it.

Jasper was a bomb scare before he was hinkley’d. 2011 he gave Gold Coast their first win kicking into the man on the mark, and to make matters worse it was a kick-in from a behind.

Last edited:
did Jasper progress excellently? Genuine question.

He finished 9th in the BnF, playing every game, at a club that finished 12th. I'd say 'excellent' is a stretch.

Jasper is a confidence player and his confidence was shattered at Port.

Whether or not you think that was all his fault, or the coaches or the fans is neither here nor there, because he wasnt getting it back at Port. A change of scenery was the only logical choice.

Pretty small sample size at North though. A few bad games could could see him go back into his shell. Only time will tell.

I seen it as the gameplan became more regimented there was no room for a make it up as you go type like Pittard. It wasn't necessarily a slight on his playing ability, more his style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seen it as the gameplan became more regimented there was no room for a make it up as you go type like Pittard. It wasn't necessarily a slight on his playing ability, more his style.

The problem for Jasper was that most of the time his teammates had no idea what he was going to do.
Nothing wrong with being creative but everyone has to at least be on the same page.
Remember all those times he'd go for a run, duck, weave, double back, nearly get tackled and then kick it straight to the oppo anyway?

Last edited:
I liked Jasper, I really did. Good team man. Tried all day long.

But...... he could rip the heart out of his teammates like no one else in the history of football. He took clangers to a whole new level never seen before. Just when the boys were mounting a stirring comeback, you could count on Jasper to not only fluff a 25 metre pass under no pressure, but to miss the ball completely, stub his toe in the dirt and fall over like a drunk toddler. Even then, he somehow had the knack of dropping the ball in such a way that it bounced up into his opponents arms in the unprotected goalsquare.

I know he didn’t mean it, but that was the truly scary thing. I was disappointed he went to North and not Gold Coast in the same way as I was disappointed when the prostitute who gave me the crabs moved into my street. It just wasn’t far enough away for me to feel clean again.

But...... he could rip the heart out of his teammates like no one else in the history of football. He took clangers to a whole new level never seen before. Just when the boys were mounting a stirring comeback, you could count on Jasper to not only fluff a 25 metre pass under no pressure, but to miss the ball completely, stub his toe in the dirt and fall over like a drunk toddler. Even then, he somehow had the knack of dropping the ball in such a way that it bounced up into his opponents arms in the unprotected goalsquare.

I know he didn’t mean it, but that was the truly scary thing. I was disappointed he went to North and not Gold Coast in the same way as I was disappointed when the prostitute who gave me the crabs moved into my street. It just wasn’t far enough away for me to feel clean again.

Gave? You paid for those crabs!

edgie nailed his problem in latter years at Port:

I seen it as the gameplan became more regimented there was no room for a make it up as you go type like Pittard.

You mean our gameplan isn't make it up as you go along?

You mean our gameplan isn't make it up as you go along?

I'm sure it's meticulously planned in theory, but impossible to effectively execute. Or it plain sucks.

Whereas Pittard would just say, screw the strategy, I'm doing it this way!

I'm sure it's meticulously planned in theory, but impossible to effectively execute. Or it plain sucks.

Whereas Pittard would just say, screw the strategy, I'm doing it this way!

That doesn't really explain Ken's love affair with him though.

Jasper is a confidence player and his confidence was shattered at Port.

Whether or not you think that was all his fault, or the coaches or the fans is neither here nor there, because he wasnt getting it back at Port. A change of scenery was the only logical choice.

Pretty small sample size at North though. A few bad games could could see him go back into his shell. Only time will tell.

Yep. You could see it in the way that he completely s**t the bed when we played Norf at Adelaide Oval, but had a very solid game when we played them at Etihad (and for most of the rest of the year). He just needed a fresh start.

Ken Hinkley is to blame for a hell of a lot of things that have gone wrong at Port Adelaide over the last 5 years, but I don't think Jasper's downfall was one of them. Jasper's issues at Port were all in his head. I'm glad he's doing well now, he deserves it.

I think 'Dumped' is overstating the reality. We moved Jasper on in line with a changed list management strategy, for the benefit of the club AND for Jasper. He was always going to have value in the short term, be it at Port or elsewhere, so the time was right to make the call.

I like Jasper and while he was a frustrating player at times, he genuinely love the club and it's a pity we had to see him move to North last year play some moments of good football. It is still early days though.

It will be interesting to see how he goes with a coach who is much closer to his own age. My hunch is that it will work well for him.

Ken Hinkley is to blame for a hell of a lot of things that have gone wrong at Port Adelaide over the last 5 years, but I don't think Jasper's downfall was one of them. Jasper's issues at Port were all in his head. I'm glad he's doing well now, he deserves it.

Jasper's issues: in his own head
Butcher's issues: in his own head
Wingard's issues: in his own head

Seems like a bit of a theme to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back