Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Playing AFL Evolution 2 on PC and I get this email from my buddy Joel Garner. Unlike Hinkley, I'll give him a game.
1599830552204.png

Finally answers why the SANFL suddenly went from implacable opposition to negotiating participation so quickly. See they really didn’t have to - had the main oval locked up. ACC locked Adelaide Oval out against Port or any “transplant”. Refitting Alberton wasn’t a realistic option either. Bucky once said to me (personal conversation) they did do some basic math around refitting AO at the time and that didn’t stack up at all.

Max wasn’t 100% sure of their legal defence so they used $1m, **money raised more by Port people than by any other group**, against us, then spent 20 years gouging a huge return on investment out of the AFL via the compliant Crows and a Port that they deliberately kept at subsistence level.

Someone count up their 30 year dividend. Feel too sick in the stomach to even try.

Could I HATE Max, Leigh and the whole }#%%ing SANFL cartel any more??

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Meanwhile in Adelaide media Port bled the sanfl dry repaying their debt.

Meanwhile in Adelaide media Port bled the sanfl dry repaying their debt.

Yep.

It just occurred to me how much of a FOXnews/Trump-fan type narrative we’ve survived this last two decades.

Entire countries political systems have failed this kind of sustained assault, where we appear to be more than holding our own.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

lol, won the battle to stop Port.

View attachment 958829

The fact that that self serving bloke has a stand named after him at a venue he fought to keep the SANFL and AFL away from is a disgrace.

Last edited:

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Was just wondering. Has a team ever before led the competition from go to whoa? It'd be particularly noteworthy in this season where everything was turned upside down.

Essendon 2000? If not they were pretty close, winning the pre-season Comp and starting the season with that massive win against us at the Dome

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide lock up top two finish after dominating Essendon
They’re often overlooked in premiership conversations, but Port Adelaide can’t be ignored any longer after they dished up another demolition job.

Port Adelaide fans can begin making fans for a home final in the first week of the serious action after the Power took care of business against Essendon on Saturday.
The dominant 11.13 (79) to 4.5 (29) victory locks Port Adelaide into a top two finish on the AFL ladder.
A sluggish opening quarter saw the Bombers grab a five-point lead, but after two goals in the opening term they only managed two more for the remainder of the game.
The Power clicked into gear as they kicked six unanswered goals to put the contest beyond doubt and claim their 13th win on the season.
Despite their dominance throughout the entirety of the home and away season they’ve often found themselves lower down the order when it comes to premiership favourite conversations.
Midfield trio Tom Rockliff, Ollie Wines and Travis Boak were at there damaging best in the less than ideal conditions as they combined for 83 disposals and 10 clearances.
Boak added a cherry on top of his game with a goal in the final quarter, courtesy of a masterful little tap from star Robbie Gray.

1599951303300.png

Port Adelaide just keep getting the job done.

GoTheMightyCrows

Bigfooty Visionary
Oct 8, 2019
Highland, Albuquerque
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With our list having an obvious lack of experience in playing finals we're probably lucky that the mcg is off limits this year - whilst obviously wanting to win the whole darn thing I'm wondering if our lack of big game experience may just be our achilles.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With our list having an obvious lack of experience in playing finals we're probably lucky that the mcg is off limits this year - whilst obviously wanting to win the whole darn thing I'm wondering if our lack of big game experience may just be our achilles.
Could be but you never know...our attitude has been spot on all year and as Kenny has told his troops, don't waste this opportunity.
Mmmm wonder if I still have that Yes We Ken Tshirt somewhere, I fear I might have relegated it to the rag bag during one of our darker years

May 2, 2011
MacDonald Park
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, CDFC, MUFC, Redbacks
Not sure who I would want to play in week one of the finals. I've looked back on past results & we have not won consecutive home games against the tigers since 2004-05, in which it took them until 2006 to beat us in Adelaide. But history is there to be broken.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
So we are on the cusp of finals at last. In a healthy but not impregnable position.
What do I see as the areas for improvement, and the areas we have improved upon already?

The bad:
1. still poor kicks both in field play and in front of goals - skills skills skills
2. too uber-Charlie focussed - if other guys lead away from Chuck, then lift the eyes and kick it to them no and again so the oppo can't multi-team Charlie
3. risky kicks into the centre corridor that get picked off too often - leave those kicks until the game is done and dusted, or when our blokes are so far in the clear that no oppo will be able to intercept them
4. still a couple of players who just have to put their body in danger when "it's their time" and not back off
5. vulnerable to joe the goose goals when we play a high press defence - need to leave one sweeper back to help our under-sized KPD 's out.

The Good:
1. more resilient than previous seasons
2. each week someone else stands up - not reliant on the same 3 or 4 blokes week after week with no support
3. seem to be playing selfless, team oriented footy and in a happy place atm
4. healthy, good depth, winning culture developing, taking each week as it comes
5. not satisfied yet!!!
6. when they have a bad quarter, they don't panic or shift blame - the coaches re-set structurally/positionally, they remain calm, turn momentum around, and get the job done.

4 more games to win (he says under his breath)

I think his confidence is shot. I like him as a player but we can't pick him for finals. We'd be playing one short

You only have to ask yourself Would Jack pick him?

Back