Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

I love reading stuff like this.

It gives me a sense that our football club has meshed into the VFL/AFL culture much better than our cross town rivals.
It's not just that Port meshes in better as a club, rather than a corporation. Port understands the s**t hand dealt the non-Victorian clubs and works it's arse off to still succeed in spite of it. Adelaide still has the idea that they are 'on the inside', one of the chosen clubs, with the big Vic clubs. They honestly don't get, that just because they get given some better time slots / opponents for games, to maximise AFL revenue / TV Rights, that they aren't 'a player'.

Robbie Gray (2006 Draft selection No.55)

Despite kicking an abundance of goals in his draft year, Gray slid to Port Adelaide with pick No.55. However, he quickly outgrew his draft value. A three-time best and fairest winner, two-time club leading goalkicker and a four-time All-Australian, Gray returned from an ACL injury in 2012 to become one of the game's leading mid-forwards. He claimed the AFL Coaches' Association Player of the Year award in 2014, enhancing his reputation as a big-game player with five Showdown Medals to his name. He is truly a draft steal, with plenty of time still left to add to his 237-game Port Adelaide career.

Other candidates: Port Adelaide struck gold late in 2006, also securing fellow best and fairest winner Justin Westhoff with pick No.71. Premiership player Dom Cassisi was taken with pick No.50 in 2000, while current captain Tom Jonas was drafted as a rookie. - Riley Beveridge

Excellent story on our 2018 Draft - from a Herald Sun journo, not a Fertiliser hack.

More good stuff than the mods will allow to be reproduced here, but talks about all the deals we did to get the picks we ended up with (ie Wingard and Polec/Pittard trades), the pick swaps with Freo and Brisbane to keep edging further into the first round, and a 'black ops' deception tactic to bluff the Doggies re Zak Butters (see below).

We almost missed out Xavier Duursma, but Freo with the pick before us went for Sam Sturt instead - our reaction to that is included below...

How Port Adelaide pulled off bold plan to secure dynamic trio Rozee, Butters and Duursma in 2018 draft
Port Adelaide hatched an intricate plan to land three of the best young guns in the 2018 draft and it involved providing false intel for another club.

Scott Gullan

They’d been forced to launch a misinformation campaign in order to save the “expected” draft order which would ensure a livewire from Bacchus Marsh named Zak Butters was available at their second selection.

The Western Bulldogs had pick No.7 and were all over Bailey Smith, a gun midfielder from the Sandringham Dragons, who had made it known he didn’t want to move interstate.

But Port had got wind of a plan for the Dogs to do a deal with the GWS Giants and slide down the draft because they were confident Smith’s stance had scared off the interstate clubs.

So Port went to work with coach Ken Hinkley getting on the phone to Smith’s manager Paul Connors.

It was a simple message: if the Dogs dropped down, then he’d take Smith and back in his club’s system to settle the kid in Adelaide.

It was a bold move — Smith wasn’t really in their plans — but one they hoped forced the Dogs’ hand.

Cripps’ phone was running hot. The word was out that Port were thinking of trading out pick 18 and at least three clubs had shown interest in doing a deal.

There were notes being scribbled everywhere with potential outcomes before everything went quiet as notification of the Dockers selection arrived on the screen.

Sam Sturt, Dandenong Stingrays”

The Port Adelaide box erupted. They couldn’t contain themselves with cheers and high fives all around, the ruckus reverberating throughout Marvel Stadium.

Cripps’ phone beeped again. It was a text from his Richmond mates next door with some lighthearted advice: “Shut the f--- up will you.”

Port were in no mood to be quiet because they’d just made the biggest statement of the 2018 draft.

Great article. Best part was ken saying we’ll take him if he’s there and back out culture in. Dogs would’ve known we would be every chance to turn anyone into a 1 club player.

So who were our 12 that were worthy of going in the first round?

I'd guess:
1. Walsh
2. Lukosius
3. Rankine
4. Max King
5. Rozee
6. Ben King
7. Smith
8. Blakey
9. Caldwell
10. Butters
11. Hately
12. Duursma

I'd guess:
1. Walsh
2. Lukosius
3. Rankine
4. Max King
5. Rozee
6. Ben King
7. Smith
8. Blakey
9. Caldwell
10. Butters
11. Hately
12. Duursma
Swap Ben and Max King out for Chayce Jones and Ned McHenry and that's just about spot on.

Jackson Trengove has already changed his profile picture on Facebook back to a Port jumper. He's still a Port man. We only ever lent him to the Bulldogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to Goldsack?!

We are going to rookie list him so that first $80k base salary we pay him as a rookie isn't counted in the salary cap, still get him to do coaching, and any amount we pay him is excluded from the football department soft cap limit.

I'd guess:
1. Walsh
2. Lukosius
3. Rankine
4. Max King
5. Rozee
6. Ben King
7. Smith
8. Blakey
9. Caldwell
10. Butters
11. Hately
12. Duursma
I think the fact we aren't getting hately now rules him out Thomas or quaynor more likely.

I think the fact we aren't getting hately now rules him out Thomas or quaynor more likely.
You reckon?

IIRC, a few in-the-know posters have said that we've been in his ear from pretty much the day he was drafted to GWS. I think the logical assumption about why we aren't getting him is that he wants decent midfield time and Adelaide can promise far more than we can in that regard.

You reckon?

IIRC, a few in-the-know posters have said that we've been in his ear from pretty much the day he was drafted to GWS. I think the logical assumption about why we aren't getting him is that he wants decent midfield time and Adelaide can promise far more than we can in that regard.
If we really wanted him I'm sure we could of talked him into it goargie always gets what he wants.

This decade long pleading from Choco to be considered as a senior coach again comes across pretty desperate.

A bit too public and probably scares off any potential suitors even if they were interested.
Not really. If Paul Roos or someone done the same he'd have a new (or old) club knocking on his door every season.

Poor old Choco just never got another look in and never was an industry darling.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Not really. If Paul Roos or someone done the same he'd have a new (or old) club knocking on his door every season.

Poor old Choco just never got another look in and never was an industry darling.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
If Paul Roos had been publically pleading in the media for a senior coaching job for the last decade it would look equally as desperate as Choco has looked.

Is that fair? Choco's been on the nose since he coached us; it's funny, every second assistant coach we spit out turns to industry gold yet our only premiership coach would struggle to get a job serving cold hotdogs at the MCG

Chocolate missed finals in 4 of his past 5 seasons and the only time he made it he memorably (for all the wrong reasons) lost the grand final by a record margin. He then went to GWS where he very publicly fell out with the club hierarchy before a stint at a middling Richmond.

He basically hasn't been involved in any level of success since 2004 and has a reputation for being a dominant, difficult person to deal with.

Pleading or not, he is so far away from being in contention for a senior coaching gig that it's not funny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back