Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Did yours get hand delivered ?

They use Sendle who might just be the absolute worst “logistics” mob I’ve ever encountered. But yes a chap handed it to me at my front door.

bzlkePR.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sammy Hayes signing on is bloody good news
It's actually a little surprising since he was courted in the off season. I guess he's given the ruck situation two years to work itself out.

It's actually a little surprising since he was courted in the off season. I guess he's given the ruck situation two years to work itself out.

He appears to enjoy the club. The whole club. The one club.

Not surprising. There's clubs that are screaming out for a first choice ruckman and then there's clubs that are in big trouble if their no. 1 goes down. We're incredibly fortunate to have three.

Not surprising. There's clubs that are screaming out for a first choice ruckman and then there's clubs that are in big trouble if their no. 1 goes down. We're incredibly fortunate to have three.

I started watching this yesterday about teams having "too many talls", but I don't think he gets around to mentioning Port. Knightmare has promoted himself from talent scout to list manager...

I started watching this yesterday about teams having "too many talls", but I don't think he gets around to mentioning Port. Knightmare has promoted himself from talent scout to list manager...

Just about keeping up a profile outside of drafting and draft day because no one gives a s**t about him till draft day.

Years ago I bought my mum a Derek and Clive record for Mothers Day (she used to bang on about how frightfully clever all those Oxbridge Footlights fellows were). Luckily I had a listen to it before the day and she ended up getting a souvenir tea towel or somesuch.

GD put a list of footy people who go Oz day honours in the General AFL thread and I made a comment about Bruce's 40+ year involvement with Port, but Port website has detailed his involvement with the club so have put that in this more relevant thread.

2021 Australia Day Honours with a contribution to Australian Football:

Recipient of the AM
Lawrence Barnett
(service to community football / junior football in Victoria);
Bruce McFarlane (service to business and former SANFL / Port Magpies roles).
Congrats to Bruce. Has done a lot with the club over 40+ years, sponsorship via his 20 odd year ownership of Maughan Thiem Ford......

The Port Adelaide Football Club congratulates former club President and Chairman Bruce McFarlane on his Member of Order (AM) Australia Day honour.

Mr McFarlane served as President and Chairman of Port Adelaide in the SANFL from 2007 to 2011, is also a former club director and has been a member of the Chairman’s Club since 1997.

Mr McFarlane, through his former business Maughan Thiem Motors, is also a long time sponsor and benefactor of Port Adelaide since 1971. He also served as an SANFL League Director from 2007 to 2010.

Port Adelaide chief executive Matthew Richardson congratulated Mr McFarlane on his Australian Day honour.

“On behalf of the entire Port Adelaide community I congratulate Bruce and his family for being bestowed this prestigious honour,” Mr Richardson said. “Bruce is a most worthy recipient having contributed so much to the broader community through his business career and philanthropic deeds.

“From a Port Adelaide perspective, he has been a sponsor and benefactor since 1971, contributed on our Board and also as Chairman and President, and was instrumental in ensuring Port Adelaide survived in the SANFL during the 2000s providing a foundation for the eventual One Club merger in 2011.

“Without Bruce’s generosity and vision, the Port Adelaide Football Club would not be as we know it today and for that we are eternally grateful. “He has also been one of the key people behind the regeneration of the ‘Port’ and it is exciting to see his vision for this historically significant part of our state now to come to life. I know how important this is to him personally.”

Beyond his contribution to Port Adelaide and South Australian football Mr McFarlane has for many years served the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society of South Australia, the Motor Traders Association, the Automotive Exhibitors Association of South Australia and the Adelaide Business Hub in various roles.

A full list of Mr McFarlane’s career follows:

Another good Port story. Will have to have a look at Darryl's gallery next time I visit the Port Adelaide Plaza.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back