Let's talk Ports! Part 3

“We’re now at a point where we have written to the AFL to highlight that these issues, when grouped, see us competing under materially different conditions to those of our AFL competitors. There can be no denying that the current environment compromises our ability to develop the talent available to our playing list when compared to our competitors in the AFL competition. - Chris Davies

Differing rules and limitations:

• Access to state league contracted players
  • Access to Next Generation Academy and father-son players
  • Differing rules, ie. stand on the mark rule, 3rd man up at ruck contests, last touch out of bounds, medical substitute

“We’re now at a point where we have written to the AFL to highlight that these issues, when grouped, see us competing under materially different conditions to those of our AFL competitors. There can be no denying that the current environment compromises our ability to develop the talent available to our playing list when compared to our competitors in the AFL competition. - Chris Davies

• Differing rules, ie. stand on the mark rule, 3rd man up at ruck contests, last touch out of bounds, medical substitute

Yeahhhh Chris - noice.

r0_74_800_526_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

DEUS

Rookie
May 3, 2018
south
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
MARION RAMS
When i was a kid in the 70s and 80s I loved getting to Alberton early and hanging around the gates for when the league players arrived and pestered them for autographs. The best was Dave Granger. He gave all the time in the world, chatting, joking, etc. I loved him and it hurt me deeply when they said mean things about him in the papers.

What mean things

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah Chris, go you good thing.

Time to pack up and get out of the shitshow where we are not appreciated or treated fairly.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Or an AFL take over of the sanfl
They've tried. The AFL want the SNAFL to become AFLSA which would mean a lot more money going to grass roots footy in SA but it would mean that the current SNAFL power brokers would lose their power. The SNAFL do what is best for the people running the SNAFL, not what is best for footy in SA.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
When i was a kid in the 70s and 80s I loved getting to Alberton early and hanging around the gates for when the league players arrived and pestered them for autographs. The best was Dave Granger. He gave all the time in the world, chatting, joking, etc. I loved him and it hurt me deeply when they said mean things about him in the papers.
What a character! I remember playing a game of golf down at West Beach back in 1980 or so, and it was a busy day, with our foursome getting held up by slow play in front. In turn, we were holding up the group behind us, which happened to include Dave Granger. At the par 3, the group in front of us called us up to hit our tee shots, but when it was our turn, we forgot to call up the dudes behind us. After putting out we moved off and watched them hit up and come to the green, and we realized it was a bunch of Port boys, being led by none other than big bad Grave Danger!

The next hole was a big wait and they caught up with us waiting to hit off on the next tee. Man I was kakking my daks! As he walked up to us & I thought I better apologise, which I did. But he was just as nice as Pie. All of us were port supporters, so we chatted about how Port were going, and pretty much exchanged chit chat every hole after that.

Changed my view of him completely.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They've tried. The AFL want the SNAFL to become AFLSA which would mean a lot more money going to grass roots footy in SA but it would mean that the current SNAFL power brokers would lose their power. The SNAFL do what is best for the people running the SNAFL, not what is best for footy in SA.

I'm honestly not so sure about that. The AFL is owned and funded by the Victorian Government, who obviously have a Victoria First, second and third focus. I'm not so sure that handing over control of all football to them is ideal. The SANFL are provincial campaigners. The AFL are bigger provincial campaigners.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm honestly not so sure about that. The AFL is owned and funded by the Victorian Government, who obviously have a Victoria First, second and third focus. I'm not so sure that handing over control of all football to them is ideal. The SANFL are provincial campaigners. The AFL are bigger provincial campaigners.

And what jumper would we be allowed to wear.

I'd give up our reserves playing in the bars in a heartbeat to have our club playing to the rules and regulations of the big league with no caps on how we develop and play our talent.

There are some battles you need to pick, and others you need to let go for tangible benefit.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd give up our reserves playing in the bars in a heartbeat to have our club playing to the rules and regulations of the big league with no caps on how we develop and play our talent.

There are some battles you need to pick, and others you need to let go for tangible benefit.
Only if both the league and the reserves can wear the bars at least 3 times a year (2 x showdowns, 1 x ANZAC).

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Thats going to be an unpopular opinion but I tend to agree.

We are fighting for more Prison Bars, not less. We currently have no agreement to wear them at AFL level. I don't want us throwing it all away because the SANFL allows a few sidesteps on the mark, or a 3rd man up in the ruck. Highly damaging to leave us in a vulnerable state for ZERO presence of the Prison Bars at any level.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
We are fighting for more Prison Bars, not less. We currently have no agreement to wear them at AFL level. I don't want us throwing it all away because the SANFL allows a few sidesteps on the mark, or a 3rd man up in the ruck. Highly damaging to leave us in a vulnerable state for ZERO presence of the Prison Bars at any level.
The different rules in playing are absolutely irrelevant. If our players cannot adjust to them, they aren’t good enough.

The issue is absolutely everything else.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Eventually the reserves competition is going to go ahead and who knows if going to it is a decision we make or it gets made for us.
We need to keep fighting to wear the bars at AFL level no doubt, but the jumper will probably not have any bearing on what league our reserves play in. The club isn't going to dig its heels in here if it means everybody else in the league is on a level playing field and we get left behind in some irrelevant local competition.
What is best for our success is priority no.1.

“Teddy told me that in Greek, nostalgia literally means “the pain from an old wound”. It’s a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. The prison bars aren’t just a jumper...they are a time machine. They represent a place where we ache to go again. Where Port Adelaide exists to win premierships.” - Don Draper

Eventually the reserves competition is going to go ahead and who knows if going to it is a decision we make or it gets made for us.
We need to keep fighting to wear the bars at AFL level no doubt, but the jumper will probably not have any bearing on what league our reserves play in. The club isn't going to dig its heels in here if it means everybody else in the league is on a level playing field and we get left behind in some irrelevant local competition.
What is best for our success is priority no.1.
The VFL has a bunch of teams with similar colours and designs. They've got 2 lions and tigers. We should absolutely have the Prison Bars and Alberton Oval home games in an AFL reserves comp, as well as be fighting to wear them at AFL level.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The VFL has a bunch of teams with similar colours and designs. They've got 2 lions and tigers. We should absolutely have the Prison Bars and Alberton Oval home games in an AFL reserves comp, as well as be fighting to wear them at AFL level.

I dont disagree but I also don't expect them to make reasonable decisions.

Back