Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

We are fighting for more Prison Bars, not less. We currently have no agreement to wear them at AFL level. I don't want us throwing it all away because the SANFL allows a few sidesteps on the mark, or a 3rd man up in the ruck. Highly damaging to leave us in a vulnerable state for ZERO presence of the Prison Bars at any level.
Not having them in the SANFL should actually strengthen our argument about Port Adelaide being able to wear its most iconic guernsey. Now opponents can point out that "you're wearing our iconic SANFL guernsey in the SANFL, so why do you need to wear it in the AFL?" Once thats gone, we have more reason to argue about why we should get to wear it in the AFL. The best guernsey in Australia is no longer being worn anywhere.

Not having them in the SANFL should actually strengthen our argument about Port Adelaide being able to wear its most iconic guernsey. Now opponents can point out that "you're wearing our iconic SANFL guernsey in the SANFL, so why do you need to wear it in the AFL?" Once thats gone, we have more reason to argue about why we should get to wear it in the AFL. The best guernsey in Australia is no longer being worn anywhere.
"No!" they'll say- "That guersney is still being worn by the Thevenard Football club. What more do you want?"

They'll just say "Go back to the SANFL".

Yup, now is the time to retrain as a boiLermaker! BIG BUCKS AVAILABLE FOR THE NEXT 50 YEARS!

A few years ago my a nephew, a very good boilermaker, worked in for the sub corp. He left after a few months since he got totally bored with nothing to do. Maybe things will change now.

Nice if we could nab both those boys.
But Horne will be in the top half dozen picks, so that's a pipe dream.
tenor.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When i was a kid in the 70s and 80s I loved getting to Alberton early and hanging around the gates for when the league players arrived and pestered them for autographs. The best was Dave Granger. He gave all the time in the world, chatting, joking, etc. I loved him and it hurt me deeply when they said mean things about him in the papers.
As a kid I was a big autograph hunter, I remember timidly approaching Mr Granger, a little bit scared Because of his fearsome onfield persona. It was in the clubrooms. He was incredibly nice and he walked around with me and helped me get a heap of autographs, and bought me a Lemon Squash. There was only one player who wasn't awesome and that was Bruce Abernathy. He would never sign my book, despite my wearing of the number 12. Got knocked back at least 5 or 6 times.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

When i was a kid in the 70s and 80s I loved getting to Alberton early and hanging around the gates for when the league players arrived and pestered them for autographs. The best was Dave Granger. He gave all the time in the world, chatting, joking, etc. I loved him and it hurt me deeply when they said mean things about him in the papers.
As a kid I was a big autograph hunter, I remember timidly approaching Mr Granger, a little bit scared Because of his fearsome onfield persona. It was in the clubrooms. He was incredibly nice and he walked around with me and helped me get a heap of autographs, and bought me a Lemon Squash. There was only one player who wasn't awesome and that was Bruce Abernathy. He would never sign my book, despite my wearing of the number 12. Got knocked back at least 5 or 6 times.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I met Dave on the cricket pitch. He opened the bowling and I started off having umpiring duties.

He had about 3 catches dropped off his bowling, in the slips, same bloke. He picked up the ball, walked up to the bloke and from a few metres away he said “*ing catch this”.

I was pissing myself laughing, and shitting myself that I’d be next.

He was an angry man that day.

We are fighting for more Prison Bars, not less. We currently have no agreement to wear them at AFL level. I don't want us throwing it all away because the SANFL allows a few sidesteps on the mark, or a 3rd man up in the ruck. Highly damaging to leave us in a vulnerable state for ZERO presence of the Prison Bars at any level.
It's more damaging to the clubs brand falling behind to the other 16 clubs besides Adelaide in player development etc, over a romantic notion about a jumper and competition that doesn't care for us.

History is exactly that, history. It's been and gone. We won't ever have the Prisons Bars full time in the AFL, that's a fact, possibly two Showdowns a year that's it. That's the facts, time it's accepted so the club can move forward and supporters as well.

Time the club moved forward be the best Port Adelaide Football Club it can be, not cling to the past and present cause it isn't possible to be both.

Our history gave birth to the future we may have, time we actually embraced that.

I met Dave on the cricket pitch. He opened the bowling and I started off having umpiring duties.

He had about 3 catches dropped off his bowling, in the slips, same bloke. He picked up the ball, walked up to the bloke and from a few metres away he said “*ing catch this”.

I was pissing myself laughing, and shitting myself that I’d be next.

He was an angry man that day.

By that day I assume you mean it was a day ending in y. ;)

If we were offered AFL reserves tomorrow but we had to wear the Power home guernsey, i'd do it in a heartbeat.

Not wearing the PBs in the SANFL doesn't make it any less our guernsey. It's THE Port Adelaide guernsey. We'll eventually wear it full time at AFL level.

I would give up the prison bars to get the f out of the sanfl in a heartbeat, but would still fight hard to get us wearing them on a semi regular basis in the AFL and AFL reserves.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If we were offered AFL reserves tomorrow but we had to wear the Power home guernsey, i'd do it in a heartbeat.

Not wearing the PBs in the SANFL doesn't make it any less our guernsey. It's THE Port Adelaide guernsey. We'll eventually wear it full time at AFL level.
That’s precisely what we did in 1994. “Where do I sign?” We do what we must do. We deal with the details later.

As Koch said: “It’s not going away.

Any move to have AFL reserves also requires that the SANFL draw no money from AFL home games at Adelaide oval.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back