Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Have the rule changes severely hampered us? Definitely feels that way for me.

Our defence was what won us games last year, we rarely had goals scored against us easily but this year even in our wins north and the bombers have kicked easy goals against us. And we’ve not been able to lock it in our forward line for repeat entries like we did last year.

Last year even when we lost the midfield battle our defence held up strong except 1 clear outlier against geelong, where Hawkins put on a masterclass.

Will our style that got us to a minor premiership last year hold up this year. I’m really concerned from what I’ve seen so far.

We need to adapt and adapt fast, the season could slip away from us pretty quickly.

Similarly, I think the rule changes have affected the way the cats play.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have the rule changes severely hampered us? Definitely feels that way for me.

Our defence was what won us games last year, we rarely had goals scored against us easily but this year even in our wins north and the bombers have kicked easy goals against us. And we’ve not been able to lock it in our forward line for repeat entries like we did last year.

Last year even when we lost the midfield battle our defence held up strong except 1 clear outlier against geelong, where Hawkins put on a masterclass.

Will our style that got us to a minor premiership last year hold up this year. I’m really concerned from what I’ve seen so far.

We need to adapt and adapt fast, the season could slip away from us pretty quickly.

Similarly, I think the rule changes have affected the way the cats play.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The rule changes renders the area between the arcs essentially a run way for players with the ball.

So if you can move the ball out of defence even moderately briskly it's guaranteed to be an inside 50.

This makes it virtually impossible to lock the ball inside 50 when you're not setting up as quickly as you can and bringing balls to ground.

Don't think I'd want him as coach, but he's done his apprenticeship now and he may be ready for another role soon. Brisbane was a terrible place for a relatively new coach to be at.
Fake news.

After a shaky start he had them rebuilding and in finals connection before being dumped for a fruitless play for Paul Roos.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Teams will adjust. There is only one player standing. It’s necessary to use the other 17 for your advantage.

It’s tricky, since those coming behind the mark cannot get close to the man with the ball. There is space where only the team with the ball can use. Still, setting spies to press on short passes is possible — at least in theory.

It’s more important than never to avoid marks. No mark, and the rule has no effect.

Stamina and velocity are crucial, since pressing becomes harder as the game goes on. On the other hand, so does kicking.

I think Montgomery has the right idea with the defence we are running with by pressuring the ball carrier and cutting off the 15-20m kicks with man on man and then playing zone deep, it’s just that the reduction in rotations and the inability for the man on the mark to move has probably meant that we need to adjust to the extra outlet kicks that are now available.

West Coast is one of the best teams at retaining possession so I wouldn’t use them as an indication to how good we will perform against other teams...or how we would play them in finals when pressure ramps up and their possession style becomes more mistake riddled.

Crowd numbers are so dumb in that we (and indeed other clubs that aren't Victorian) get judged by crowd numbers for one team and an interstate team, while victorian teams get showdown like conditions every single week because all the clubs are based in Victoria - yet their crowd numbers still suck.

Imagine being North, playing another Victorian side - getting 12k to a game. That's beyond woeful. Like what, 8-10k of their own supporters tops, while we pull 25k in the lower years playing an interstate side and its like lolpoort

Last edited:
Crowd number so dumb in that we (and indeed other clubs that aren't Victorian) get judged by crowd numbers for one team and an interstate team, while victorian teams get showdown like conditions every single week because all the clubs are based in Victoria - yet their crowd numbers still suck.

Imagine being North, playing another Victorian side - getting 12k to a game. That's beyond woeful. Like what, 8-10k of their own supporters tops, while we pull 25k in the lower years playing an interstate side and its like lolpoort

i have pointed this out to many fans over the years who take pot shots at our crowds.

short story, dumb people like being ill informed. It matches their prejudices.

one only has to look at the Vic club’s attendance when playing a wa / Sa / qld / nsw side. Regularly in the teens and anything in the high 20’s is considered great. Meanwhile port gets 32k in hurricane Katrina in a horrid time slot and the media hits the panic button.

not too mention that the Vic media will openly blame port for Essendon getting poor numbers to a match at Marvel. Boggles the mind.

Crowd number so dumb in that we (and indeed other clubs that aren't Victorian) get judged by crowd numbers for one team and an interstate team, while victorian teams get showdown like conditions every single week because all the clubs are based in Victoria - yet their crowd numbers still suck.

It's even worse for Victorian sides, when you consider at AO almost all those getting AO Memberships are supporters of one (or both - weirdo's) SA clubs. Melbourne with so many clubs, there's more taking out Stadium memberships and going when it's not their side.

The one that really shits me though is when North (or someone else in Victoria) pull a sub-20k crowd against a Non-Vic side, the Non-Vic side gets blamed for not bringing supporters to the game. :mad: :rolleyes:

Case in-point, that time Richmond fan and poor man’s Ray Hadley, Steve Price, went on a Twitter crusade scoffing at us ‘only’ getting ~36,000 to Adelaide Oval for a game against then lowly Brisbane on a Saturday afternoon in April 2018.

Cue an anti-Port stacks on as his fellow Tiges, Crows and Collingwood fans gleefully joined in with predictable refrains of “tarps this” and “tarps that”.

When it was pointed out that Richmond only managed to attract crowds of ~28,000 to Marvel and the MCG in 2016 and 2017 against the same opponent (and just 32,000 against the Lions at the G the very next week), you’d think that would’ve given the throng pause.

Nope. Apparently pointing out raging hypocrisy is “a desperate attempt to deflect against rightful criticism”.

Humans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Case in-point, that time Richmond fan and poor man’s Ray Hadley, Steve Price, went on a Twitter crusade scoffing at us ‘only’ getting ~36,000 to Adelaide Oval for a game against then lowly Brisbane on a Saturday afternoon in April 2018.

Cue an anti-Port stacks on as his fellow Tiges, Crows and Collingwood fans gleefully joined in with predictable refrains of “tarps this” and “tarps that”.

When it was pointed out that Richmond only managed to attract crowds of ~28,000 to Marvel and the MCG in 2016 and 2017 against the same opponent (and just 32,000 against the Lions at the G the very next week), you’d think that would’ve given the throng pause.

Nope. Apparently pointing out raging hypocrisy is “a desperate attempt to deflect against rightful criticism”.

Humans.

HA

You just referred to Steve Price as hooman.

I was just thinking about 2014, and the list we have now is far stronger than it was that year.

We had the corpse of Dom Cassisi, a Kane Cornes who was only in it for the 300, our depth was Kane Mitchell, Sam Gray, Aaron Young, Andrew Moore, Ben Newton. We still had Brent Renouf, Lewis Stevenson and Campbell Heath leftover and somehow, Cam Hitchcock was still on the list.

I was just thinking about 2014, and the list we have now is far stronger than it was that year.

We had the corpse of Dom Cassisi, a Kane Cornes who was only in it for the 300, our depth was Kane Mitchell, Sam Gray, Aaron Young, Andrew Moore, Ben Newton. We still had Brent Renouf, Lewis Stevenson and Campbell Heath leftover and somehow, Cam Hitchcock was still on the list.

Yes but we had primo Schulz, Wingard and Monfries kicking goals whilst Gray should have won the brownlow that year.

It's a thing of beauty how Jackson Trengove, a dyed in the wool Essendon fanatic, was drafted to Port Adelaide, got traded to Footscray, but remained, and remains to this day, emotionally invested in Port Adelaide. You cannot help but love the man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back