Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
At least Choc had the pedigree and runs on the board to justify the smug ‘I’m above all of you peasants, how dare you question me’ attitude.

Also we really only had three and a half seasons of Choco fail (08 - 10)

We've had at least double that with Ken

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
And we at least only gave him 1 ill advised extension.

Choco was a mad scientist who had genuine coaching chops but flew too close to the sun too often.

Ken is a simpleton.

Choco had respect for his position.

I know that coaches can't wear suits anymore because they need the sponsor filled media shirts, but if Ken was coach back in the day, he'd be every chance to show up to the grand final in an unironed white button shirt and denim shorts. His formal attire.

Last edited:

PowerLil

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Choco had respect for his position.

I know that coaches can't wear suits anymore because they need the sponsor filled media shirts, but if Ken was coach back in the day, he'd be every chance to show up to the grand final in an unironed white shirt shirt and denim shorts. His formal attire.
Nothing infuriated me more than announcement of our partnership with the Defence Force where their representative was in full dress uniform, KT in a suit and Hinkley in shorts, polo and runners. Absolutely disgraceful.

Nothing infuriated me more than announcement of our partnership with the Defence Force where their representative was in full dress uniform, KT in a suit and Hinkley in shorts, polo and runners. Absolutely disgraceful.

That photo was a bit of a tipping point for me.
Showed him up for the low rent charlatan that he is.

Also we really only had three and a half seasons of Choco fail (08 - 10)

We've had at least double that with Ken

sorry 01-03 we lost one very important game each season, 05 that was a fail too

Port handled this so well

That the club was able to achieve a good outcome doesn't negate the fact that sheer ignorance and lack of oversight on their behalf was why it ended up in that position to begin with. We are still out the profit from the jumper sales, something our seemingly shoestring coaching panel suggests we sorely need.

Port are hiring for their multimedia team.

Are you our next brand champion and creative gun? We currently have three exciting opportunities within our high-performance Marketing and Growth Team.

Multimedia Content Producer
Social Media Coordinator
Graphic Designer

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks

Are you our next brand champion and creative gun? We currently have three exciting opportunities within our high-performance Marketing and Growth Team.

Social Media Coordinator
Graphic Designer
Pick me :moustache::cool::drunk::shoutyoldman::greenalien::):think::p:D:D:(:moustache::cool::):):(:drunk:

Assuming I'll be working under Holly :bread: :snowboarder: :evergreen: :monkeyface: :oncomingcar: :hearts::hearts::udarrow::pandaface::redapple::tangerine::wineglass:

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda

Social Media Coordinator
Graphic Designer
My missus' girlfriend from school days invited her to her daughter's wedding, which she went to on the weekend.

Turns out the daughter was the Club's graphic designer pre-covid. After it hit, she worked for a time on a reduced salary, but eventually the Club put her off (unless she volunteered to work for practically nothing!).

Needless to say, she needed to earn a living to survive, and so duly resigned. Got a position with Peregrine now, I believe.

Now the club is looking for a graphic designer!!!

I don't think she will be applying for this job. :rolleyes::(

My missus' girlfriend from school days invited her to her daughter's wedding, which she went to on the weekend.

Turns out the daughter was the Club's graphic designer pre-covid. After it hit, she worked for a time on a reduced salary, but eventually the Club put her off (unless she volunteered to work for practically nothing!).

Needless to say, she needed to earn a living to survive, and so duly resigned. Got a position with Peregrine now, I believe.

Now the club is looking for a graphic designer!!!

I don't think she will be applying for this job. :rolleyes::(

A few of the Shahins are Port members, so that's handy.

Social Media Coordinator
Graphic Designer
Social media Coordinator, isn’t that hub spot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So the latest shitshow survey from the club dropped. Added the reason not satisfied as Hinkley. And unloaded about yet another survey where they ask us everything except what we think of the coaches performance. Added a GoFundMe for paying Hinkley out as what they can do to improve the membership department.

Of course they ignore all the answers they don’t want to hear, but it did feel good to vent.

Mar 1, 2014
parallel universe
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So the latest shitshow survey from the club dropped. Added the reason not satisfied as Hinkley. And unloaded about yet another survey where they ask us everything except what we think of the coaches performance. Added a GoFundMe for paying Hinkley out as what they can do to improve the membership department.

Of course they ignore all the answers they don’t want to hear, but it did feel good to vent.
I added this in the 'other comments' field
Judge.JPG

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

In the comment section I was about to write BRING BACK THE BARS, but realised it's only about membership services satisfaction, so I wrote BRING BACK THE PENS!

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Simple answer is:

2020 - choked when we had Tiggers on toast.
2021 - didn't bother turning up when the Dogs came to town.
Both - senior players failed us again when it counted, including Scooter (who I love, but think he's now at the stage of being physically cooked).

2022 Prognosis: Hard to see any better results - unless the older guys "magically" discover how to lead by example when it counts, and if we (read Ken) learn to stop doing the same thing whilst hoping for a different result.

2020 - choked when we had Tiggers on toast.

The Hartlett deliberate, while subjectively harsh as Rockliff was within the vicinity, typified this.

When the crunch came we needed cool-headed veteran play and got early-Olive Oyl Pittard.

Wanganeen and Shaun’s late heroics in the 2004 Prelim aside, the story of our AFL era.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
So last night I dreamt we played Geelong in a game of football and won, 17.13 to 5.7.

Sounds good, but it started to feel a funny when the game was played at AAMI, and Ryan Willits kicked three goals!

Wtf is wrong with my brain, that in 2021, it decides to that what I need right now, is to make some pretend memories of Ryan ******* Willits tearing up Geelong at footy park?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Had a long chat with one of Russell's team mates today who told a funny story about himself and Eric 'Fritz' Freeman playing district cricket for Port

v Woodville. Hogg was playing for Woodville then and this guy Neville, who played for us from '65 to '75 was batting with Fritz who said "I'll take Hogg".

Now Neville, who admitted being a better footballer than cricketer said "sure Fritz" and duly took up his safe position at the non-strikers end.

Neville said that Hogg, who went on to play for Australia, was a seriously quick bowler. The first ball to Fritz struck him on the pad and Eric took off

like a scalded cat, Neville in shock, set off for this unlikely run only just making his ground. He said, "there I was facing Hogg wondering what the hell

Fritz, who said he was gunna take Hogg, was doing bolting to the non-strikers end after one bloody ball". Anyway, Hogg's first ball to Nev was so quick

he didn't see it but heard the seam fizz past his nose. When Hogg walked back to his mark Fritzy said "I can piss faster than you can bowl".

Nev walked down the pitch to pat down some non existent mark and quietly said to Fritz "what the hell are you doin' stirring up Hoggy".

Next ball Hogg dug in a short one, Nev had barely moved his bat before the ball ricocheted off his shoulder flying down to fine leg where the

fielder caught the ball and everyone appealed. The umpire that day was Max O'Connell a then test cricket umpire who raised his finger.

Nev was out and stared in disbelief at Max as he walked off. At the end of the days play Nev said to Max "oi that ball hit my shoulder" and

Max O'Connell said "yeah I know but Nev, I did you a favour, Hoggy would've killed you".

Last edited:

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
A side note to the post^, I said to Neville "geez Sturt broke my heart in the 60's, esp the '66 '67 and '68 grand finals."

He told me that many years later Malcolm Hill, like Neville who was also basically a Riverland boy, told him how they did it and also how North Adel

beat us in '71 and '72. Really interesting but still depressing all these years later. Spoke about Russell's community work and how crucial it was in

lifting Port's profile in country areas especially.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A side note to the post^, I said to Neville "geez Sturt broke my heart in the 60's, esp the '66 '67 and '68 grand finals."

He told me that many years later Malcolm Hill, like Neville who was also basically a Riverland boy, told him how they did it and also how North Adel

beat us in '71 and '72. Really interesting but still depressing all these years later.
When I was having chemo at the queen Elizabeth 6 yrs ago I was sitting next to an older indigenous lady.
We were chatting away when she said so your a port supporter the hat gave it away.
She then told me her brother used to play for Sturt he was there to support her.
I started talking to him he said he played in the late 60s his sister told me ha played in a few premierships against port.
His name was Roger Rigney and I told him he would of broke my dad's heart who was waiting in the car for me.
He told me to ring him to come up which he did they talked footy for ages was so good to listen to them Roger seemed liked a lovely man and so humble if it wasn't for his sister I would've never known how good he was .

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
When I was having chemo at the queen Elizabeth 6 yrs ago I was sitting next to an older indigenous lady.
We were chatting away when she said so your a port supporter the hat gave it away.
She then told me her brother used to play for Sturt he was there to support her.
I started talking to him he said he played in the late 60s his sister told me ha played in a few premierships against port.
His name was Roger Rigney and I told him he would of broke my dad's heart who was waiting in the car for me.
He told me to ring him to come up which he did they talked footy for ages was so good to listen to them Roger seemed liked a lovely man and so humble if it wasn't for his sister I would've never known how good he was .

I said exactly the same thing to an Indigenous lady by that name at a work conference years ago. I can't remember what relation she said she was to Roger, but it was either sister or cousin.

I hope it's not this lady, although her profile fits the lady I met, because sadly she is no longer with us:

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I said exactly the same thing to an Indigenous lady by that name at a work conference years ago. I can't remember what relation she said she was to Roger, but it was either sister or cousin.

I hope it's not this lady, although her profile fits the lady I met, because sadly she is no longer with us:

I think the lady I spoke to was a fair bit older M8.

Back