Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
I think the lady I spoke to was a fair bit older M8.

I think that must've been a very old photo. How about this one - it looks much more like the lady I met and is from 2007. Was it that long ago that Port had an association with UniSA (see poster)?

1636807945444.png

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
His name was Roger Rigney

Wriggles could really play and I still shake my head as to how but sheesh he was good. There was nothing about him that stood out.

He was short (like all rovers were then) but Roger was shorter than short, wasn't quick over the ground and could barely kick over a jam jar

but he was a clearance machine. Never saw him do anything dirty or celebrate over the top. He and ruckman Tony "Doc" Clarkson

were quite a combo. Talk about an odd couple, "Doc" was Adelaide Uni school of medicine alumni, built like a minute to six, a beautiful tap ruckman

and smooth mover, while Roger was Ngarrindjeri, a nuggety 'in and under' type, who with legs pumping flat out, would barely move the speedo needle.

While Doc gave Roger silver service Wriggles was amazing in traffic and a big reason why Sturt were so good.

Last edited:

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
When I was having chemo at the queen Elizabeth 6 yrs ago I was sitting next to an older indigenous lady.
We were chatting away when she said so your a port supporter the hat gave it away.
She then told me her brother used to play for Sturt he was there to support her.
I started talking to him he said he played in the late 60s his sister told me ha played in a few premierships against port.
His name was Roger Rigney and I told him he would of broke my dad's heart who was waiting in the car for me.
He told me to ring him to come up which he did they talked footy for ages was so good to listen to them Roger seemed liked a lovely man and so humble if it wasn't for his sister I would've never known how good he was .
Roger Rigney was a champion player. It's funny but i reckon I can remember more Sturt players names then Ports - such was the pain of losing GFs

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Had a long chat with one of Russell's team mates today who told a funny story about himself and Eric 'Fritz' Freeman playing district cricket for Port

v Woodville. Hogg was playing for Woodville then and this guy Neville, who played for us from '65 to '75 was batting with Fritz who said "I'll take Hogg".

Now Neville, who admitted being a better footballer than cricketer said "sure Fritz" and duly took up his safe position at the non-strikers end.

Neville said that Hogg, who went on to play for Australia, was a seriously quick bowler. The first ball to Fritz struck him on the pad and Eric took off

like a scolded cat, Neville in shock, set off for this unlikely run only just making his ground. He said, "there I was facing Hogg wondering what the hell

Fritz, who said he was gunna take Hogg, was doing bolting to the non-strikers end after one bloody ball". Anyway, Hogg's first ball to Nev was so quick

he didn't see it but heard the seam fizz past his nose. When Hogg walked back to his mark Fritzy said "I can piss faster than you can bowl".

Nev walked down the pitch to pat down some non existent mark and quietly said to Fritz "what the hell are you doin' stirring up Hoggy".

Next ball Hogg dug in a short one, Nev had barely moved his bat before the ball ricocheted off his shoulder flying down to fine leg where the

fielder caught the ball and everyone appealed. The umpire that day was Max O'Connell a then test cricket umpire who raised his finger.

Nev was out and stared in disbelief at Max as he walked off. At the end of the days play Nev said to Max "oi that ball hit my shoulder" and

Max O'Connell said "yeah I know but Nev, I did you a favour, Hoggy would've killed you".

Sounds like Neville T who was from Berri, and unfortunately finished his league career at Alberton on 96 games, but then played a couple of seasons at Westies, along with a few other ex Maggies in Kevin Beswick, Ray Hayes and Gary Tredrea when Fos was coaching there.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
See in the back of the sports section of the Sunday Mail that a couple of high profile adelaide sports reporters are at loggerheads with their employer re- getting the Covid jabs.

No names given, but could one be a former AA footballer who has been talked about on these forums recently?

See in the back of the sports section of the Sunday Mail that a couple of high profile adelaide sports reporters are at loggerheads with their employer re- getting the Covid jabs.

No names given, but could one be a former AA footballer who has been talked about on these forums recently?

Tredders is pretty on the record as being in this category.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Roger Rigney was a champion player. It's funny but i reckon I can remember more Sturt players names then Ports - such was the pain of losing GFs

I don't know about more, but I certainly remember a damned lot of em. They were called a machine, which was pretty accurate. They never had a Magarey winner, just a very even team, very well coached.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

This definitely fits covid thread criteria

Earlier today I listened to Episode 4 of Season 2 of the Brukie and Burgo hour long podcast and they spoke to Choco. Podcast is listened to by non AFL people and lots of people involved in sport outside Oz.

Near the end, they talk about the kicking sessions they did at Melbourne training. Burgo calls it extraordinary and unlike anything he'd seen before. Some of the other things I found of interest:

* Started early on by talking about Fos. Fos had Choco and his siblings at Port games, on graph paper, track our midfielders in the early 70's, where they ran to on the field, and they would give Fos their mappings at half time, and he would pin them up on a board and show the players.

* Fos had the trainers run out with red towels after the 25 minute mark so that the players knew they were in time on / red time. Now days red time is meaningless with 45 seconds between a goal signal and bounce down, blood rule delays, boundary umpires waiting for rucks to set up etc, red time is now 10-12-15 minutes some quarters, when the quarter is supposed to be 20 minutes of game time.

* Fos was doing the care and "connection" stuff back in the 60's and 70's when players would come over for Thursday night team meetings, Vonn would cook up a storm and the kids serve the players.

* Worked at Sports Medicine Australia for a few years ( think when he returned to Port from Brisbane Bears) and met Doc Brukner thru it.

* Doc asked if he had coaching ambitions from early on, and he talked about his first training session with Collinwood taken by Tom Hafey, went home and wrote down what he did and has written down stuff about everyone of his training sessions since then. Pedantic was the word he used about it, and Burgo agreed.

* At 15 minute mark Burgo talked about his development of other coaches and players. Talked about his job interview with Choco 2 weeks after we won the 2004 flag. Burgo talked about this in more depth in Episode 1 Season 1, and it that podcast said it was really stressful as was his whole first year at Port, Phil Walsh was a hard arse, on his case all of 2005, but they became great friends and Phil was one of his mentors.

Burgo says he tells the story often, that Choco walked into the Port Adelaide boardroom with David Hutton, put his feet up on the desk, told him to take off his tie, take off the jacket, he didn't need to have a suit on to impress him, he wasn't allowed to open up the computer to show him his power point slides, Choco says we are currently the best team in the world, how can you help us? Then kept firing questions at him about scenarios to see what Burgo's response was. After 2 hours he had to go back to the airport, was in the taxi, emotional and stressed, Choco ran to catch him, and handed him an envelope thru the window, said take this back with you, and it was a contract for the job in it.

* Burgo then asked Choco 1stly how do you identify the right people to work for and with you, and 2ndly how do you develop them??

Choco first apologised for putting his feet up on the table at the interview. He forgot he had done that. Then gives a long answer.

* Doc Brukner asks him about the stress and failures of 2002-03 season and the effect of that in 2004, on him, his family, the players, mentions Alan Scott, the tie choking incident at the GF etc. Talks about that for a long time. Does mention he gave Wanga's a rocket at half time of the PF and only did that the one time. Mentioned he is coaching Tex at the moment to help him get drafted. Talked about the 2007 GF and fallout.

* At 38 minute Doc Brukner asks him about his post Port career and if he has been frustrated he hasn't got another head AFL coaching job? Choco says he was supposed to take over from Sheedy at GWS but was dudded out of that, and says we will leave it at that. Says he has been frustrated, but then talks about being proud of his development work with younger players at 3 AFL clubs, that have had success after he has worked with their younger players. Talks about ex Port people (Hardwick and Blair Hartley) who gave him an opportunity at Richmond.

* Looks like Burgo suggested to Goodwin and Alan Richardson to give Choco the development coaches job. At the end of the podcast the Doc says he sent a text to Melbourne CEO Garry Pert when he gave Choco the job and wrote - that will be the best appointment you've ever made.

* Praised Goodwin and Richardson for giving him a chance and trusting him to do his job and not feel threatened by what he was doing with the players.

* Around 44.30 minute mark Doc Brukner brings up his kicking coaching as just before that Choco said - It was such a joy doing it, because I could, you know do the things, I could do, and they trusted me and hopefully I delivered on the outcome they were looking for...... I'm so proud of what Simon's done.

The Doc says, I think most Melbourne supporters would say that until this year they were not a good kicking team, and also people would say you can't teach senior players how to kick, if they haven't learnt how to kick by the time they have reached AFL level, they'll never learn, But I think you showed that's not true.

Choco - Well you don't bring people from shocking kicks to elite kicks in one season, but you certainly can improve people. You have teach what they don't know, have to tell them why things happen, what happened to that kick. Only about the things they have to know

* Only 6 things they have to know. "I'm consistent with it."

* 46.30 We were so consistent with it. The time was allocated to it by Burgo and Simon every training session, made it work. If you do it once a month, if you do it once a week, it won't work. and there's no chance it will work and don't think its going to work, because that's just not good science or not good teaching..... with other coaches believed in what you're doing, not contradicting you, and not working against it, leads to best chance to success to develop either young players, or experienced players willing to learn. If they're not willing to learn, there is no chance it's going to work.

Burgo responded with - certainly the thought, the care, the attention to detail that would go into at times a 3 minute drill and the relationship to the game was just extraordinary and unlike anything I'd seen before. It was just incredible to watch and be on the sideline, you know watching Choco work with that

* Burgo asks Choco about his time not in the AFL system and the difference in coaching amateurs and professionals. Talked about coaching at the all Jewish players club Ajax in the Vic ammos - learned a lot from their community, he had great expectations, but that they all had to be all in to have success and gain respect. Same stories at Werribee, lead the leadership program. Said nothing on the walls when he got there but changed that and put up the "care on the wall.".

* 51 minute mark Choco talking about how he would take photos and videos of coaching sessions, send them to Burgo or other coaches so they could see themselves in action and they could analyze what the did right or wrong and what they would change. Burgo said they helped him a lot.

* Finished off talking about the meetings at Liverpool when Brukie and Burgo were they were working there. Also talked about going to the San Siro in Milan with Burgo ( which first was in late 2006 and they visited AC Milan's 150mil Euro MilanLab and after that visit, Burgo said he would change the way he prepared Port for the 2007 season).

We need to improve our kicking to win a flag, get someone who is extremely interested in it because our head coach isn't. It's why 5 and half years ago I started the Can't kick, can't play football thread.

As I keep saying - its time we started to work smarter first, not just harder for longer.

The first time I had a decent chat to Russell Ebert (apart from the odd hello Russell) was after the GC loss in 2011 at The Hangar/The Shed after the game and I saw him and said bugger it, I'm going to go and introduce myself and ask him about our bloody poor skills, kicking in particular. We had a good 10 minute chat about them.

10 years on, the more things change, the more they stay pretty much the same, not elite enough to win a flag.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Earlier today I listened to Episode 4 of Season 2 of the Brukie and Burgo hour long podcast and they spoke to Choco. Podcast is listened to by non AFL people and lots of people involved in sport outside Oz.

Near the end, they talk about the kicking sessions they did at Melbourne training. Burgo calls it extraordinary and unlike anything he'd seen before. Some of the other things I found of interest:

* Started early on by talking about Fos. Fos had Choco and his siblings at Port games, on graph paper, track our midfielders in the early 70's, where they ran to on the field, and they would give Fos their mappings at half time, and he would pin them up on a board and show the players.

* Fos had the trainers run out with red towels after the 25 minute mark so that the players knew they were in time on / red time. Now days red time is meaningless with 45 seconds between a goal signal and bounce down, blood rule delays, boundary umpires waiting for rucks to set up etc, red time is now 10-12-15 minutes some quarters, when the quarter is supposed to be 20 minutes of game time.

* Fos was doing the care and "connection" stuff back in the 60's and 70's when players would come over for Thursday night team meetings, Vonn would cook up a storm and the kids serve the players.

* Worked at Sports Medicine Australia for a few years ( think when he returned to Port from Brisbane Bears) and met Doc Brukner thru it.

* Doc asked if he had coaching ambitions from early on, and he talked about his first training session with Collinwood taken by Tom Hafey, went home and wrote down what he did and has written down stuff about everyone of his training sessions since then. Pedantic was the word he used about it, and Burgo agreed.

* At 15 minute mark Burgo talked about his development of other coaches and players. Talked about his job interview with Choco 2 weeks after we won the 2004 flag. Burgo talked about this in more depth in Episode 1 Season 1, and it that podcast said it was really stressful as was his whole first year at Port, Phil Walsh was a hard arse, on his case all of 2005, but they became great friends and Phil was one of his mentors.

Burgo says he tells the story often, that Choco walked into the Port Adelaide boardroom with David Hutton, put his feet up on the desk, told him to take off his tie, take off the jacket, he didn't need to have a suit on to impress him, he wasn't allowed to open up the computer to show him his power point slides, Choco says we are currently the best team in the world, how can you help us? Then kept firing questions at him about scenarios to see what Burgo's response was. After 2 hours he had to go back to the airport, was in the taxi, emotional and stressed, Choco ran to catch him, and handed him an envelope thru the window, said take this back with you, and it was a contract for the job in it.

* Burgo then asked Choco 1stly how do you identify the right people to work for and with you, and 2ndly how do you develop them??

Choco first apologised for putting his feet up on the table at the interview. He forgot he had done that. Then gives a long answer.

* Doc Brukner asks him about the stress and failures of 2002-03 season and the effect of that in 2004, on him, his family, the players, mentions Alan Scott, the tie choking incident at the GF etc. Talks about that for a long time. Does mention he gave Wanga's a rocket at half time of the PF and only did that the one time. Mentioned he is coaching Tex at the moment to help him get drafted. Talked about the 2007 GF and fallout.

* At 38 minute Doc Brukner asks him about his post Port career and if he has been frustrated he hasn't got another head AFL coaching job? Choco says he was supposed to take over from Sheedy at GWS but was dudded out of that, and says we will leave it at that. Says he has been frustrated, but then talks about being proud of his development work with younger players at 3 AFL clubs, that have had success after he has worked with their younger players. Talks about ex Port people (Hardwick and Blair Hartley) who gave him an opportunity at Richmond.

* Looks like Burgo suggested to Goodwin and Alan Richardson to give Choco the development coaches job. At the end of the podcast the Doc says he sent a text to Melbourne CEO Garry Pert when he gave Choco the job and wrote - that will be the best appointment you've ever made.

* Praised Goodwin and Richardson for giving him a chance and trusting him to do his job and not feel threatened by what he was doing with the players.

* Around 44.30 minute mark Doc Brukner brings up his kicking coaching as just before that Choco said - It was such a joy doing it, because I could, you know do the things, I could do, and they trusted me and hopefully I delivered on the outcome they were looking for...... I'm so proud of what Simon's done.

The Doc says, I think most Melbourne supporters would say that until this year they were not a good kicking team, and also people would say you can't teach senior players how to kick, if they haven't learnt how to kick by the time they have reached AFL level, they'll never learn, But I think you showed that's not true.

Choco - Well you don't bring people from shocking kicks to elite kicks in one season, but you certainly can improve people. You have teach what they don't know, have to tell them why things happen, what happened to that kick. Only about the things they have to know

* 46.30 We were so consistent with it. The time was allocated to it by Burgo and Simon every training session, made it work. If you do it once a month, if you do it once a week, it won't work. and there's no chance it will work and don't think its going to work, because that's just not good science or not good teaching..... with other coaches believed in what you're doing, not contradicting you, and not working against it, leads to best chance to success to develop either young players, or experienced players willing to learn. If they're not willing to learn, there is no chance it's going to work.

Burgo responded with - certainly the thought, the care, the attention to detail that would go into at times a 3 minute drill and the relationship to the game was just extraordinary and unlike anything I'd seen before. It was just incredible to watch and be on the sideline, you know watching Choco work with that

* Burgo asks Choco about his time not in the AFL system and the difference in coaching amateurs and professionals. Talked about coaching at the all Jewish players club Ajax in the Vic ammos - learned a lot from their community, he had great expectations, but that they all had to be all in to have success and gain respect. Same stories at Werribee, lead the leadership program. Said nothing on the walls when he got there but changed that and put up the "care on the wall.".

* 51 minute mark Choco talking about how he would take photos and videos of coaching sessions, send them to Burgo or other coaches so they could see themselves in action and they could analyze what the did right or wrong and what they would change. Burgo said they helped him a lot.

* Finished off talking about the meetings at Liverpool when Brukie and Burgo were they were working there. Also talked about going to the San Siro in Milan with Burgo ( which first was in late 2006 and they visited AC Milan's 150mil Euro MilanLab and after that visit, Burgo said he would change the way he prepared Port for the 2007 season).

We need to improve our kicking to win a flag, get someone who is extremely interested in it because our head coach isn't. It's why 5 and half years ago I started the Can't kick, can't play football thread.

As I keep saying - its time we started to work smarter first, not just harder for longer.

The first time I had a decent chat to Russell Ebert (apart from the odd hello Russell) was after the GC loss in 2011 at The Hangar/The Shed after the game and I saw him and said bugger it, I'm going to go and introduce myself and ask him about our bloody poor skills, kicking in particular. We had a good 10 minute chat about them.

10 years on, the more things change, the more they stay pretty much the same, not elite enough to win a flag.

I reckon most Port supporters bemoan our woeful kicking.
Even so called "elite" kicks deteriorate to a base standard of "ordinary" in our system.
Whether or not that is on our head coach, or elsewhere, I concur that we will never win a flag in my lifetime left on this rock until we address our skills in a systematic and concerted manner.
Otherwise, we are in deep, deep ***t.

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Makes you think about all those posters who've been vehemently against getting Choco back. Didn't seem to hurt Melbourne.

What I read into it is that if you can focus Choco on a point issue or two... his obsessive nature will get to it. Also the "learning to learn" aspect. Practicing behaviour X every session at the same time or it won't work, basically bits of CBT applied to teaching. And if players see a learning in one area they might just be more inclined to learn other things too.

Meanwhile, Port fans: "mad professor needs to be given problems to solve, not free run of the bloody lab".

After reading The Boy's Club what I will always think about Melbourne is the dodgy behaviours they either invested in or were on the verge of doing and escaped any real AFL attention.

And now they're held up as some sort of role model. Like Barnaby Joyce giving marriage counselling.

After reading The Boy's Club what I will always think about Melbourne is the dodgy behaviours they either invested in or were on the verge of doing and escaped any real AFL attention.

And now they're held up as some sort of role model. Like Barnaby Joyce giving marriage counselling.

From memory, they were one of the clubs that got caught up in the 4 Corners expose on the doping thing, weren't they?

Makes you think about all those posters who've been vehemently against getting Choco back. Didn't seem to hurt Melbourne.

from what i've seen most posters against choco are simply against "the state he left the club in" (15 years ago) and not really thinking about how he's, you know, an experienced football coach that can make our kids better, something we don't have at the club at all

From memory, they were one of the clubs that got caught up in the 4 Corners expose on the doping thing, weren't they?

According to the book, they were just getting into discussions with Dank when the Essendon scandal broke and they backed off.

Then there was the tanking scandal under Dean Bailey where Gil famously said he couldn't define tanking.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
from what i've seen most posters against choco are simply against "the state he left the club in" (15 years ago) and not really thinking about how he's, you know, an experienced football coach that can make our kids better, something we don't have at the club at all
Meh!!!
All you need to be a successful footy club is stability, and to work harder for longer.
Nothing else matters, you dummo's.
Get with the plan!
😝

Briefly mentioned in that episode, but 7.30 did a long story on them and Dank on 18 April 2013. Watch and/or read the transcript at link below. They inquired, started to develop a relationship, then stopped because the s**t hit the fan. They were looking for an answer to Jack Trengove's foot problem(s).

Melbourne's response. Their Doc, Dr Dan Bates was the one dealing with Dank on a somewhat casual basis, well casual compared to essendon.

Follow up article after Melbourne and AFL statements.

Last edited:
Briefly mentioned in that episode, but 7.30 did a long story on them and Dank on 18 April 2013. Watch and/or read the transcript at link below. They inquired, started to develop a relationship, then stopped because the sh*t hit the fan. They were looking for an answer to Jack Trengove's foot problem(s).

Melbourne's response. Their Doc, Dr Dan Bates was the one dealing with Dank on a somewhat casual basis, well casual compared to essendon.

Follow up article after Melbourne and AFL statements.

Classic.

Back