Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Port Adelaide president David Koch’s speech sends a strong signal of intent

KEN Hinkley does not need reminding his job is on the line as Port Adelaide coach next season. As he walks past the mahogany honour board at Alberton there is the warning.

No Port Adelaide coach keeps his job after three consecutive misses in September (not even an AFL premiership winner such as Mark Williams).

So Power president David Koch’s speech at the Port Adelaide club champion count on Friday night — a definite “line-in-the-sand” declaration with the theme of being “ruthless” — would not have surprised Hinkley. And he had warning.

Season 2017, said Koch, began at 9am on the Sunday after the Saturday night season-closer with Gold Coast. Club president, chief executive Keith Thomas, Hinkley and captain Travis Boak are wasting no time.

“A robust and confronting session,” Koch said of the meeting after Port Adelaide ranked 10th with a 10-12 win-loss count, a fall on last year’s disappointing record of 12-10 and ninth.

“Mediocre,” adds Koch of how the Power has fallen from a rebound finalist in 2013 and top-four player in 2014 to become an also ran.

“Why were we mediocre?” was the start-up question, adds Koch.

And then the warning.

“We asked the question if we were ruthless enough (in decision making),” Koch said.

“We weren’t — and we asked how we are going to change that,” added Koch noting there need to be more ruthless-minded people at work at Alberton where Hinkley next year will work with his fifth different coaching panel.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...t/news-story/cf23a20d170968e26f5c1ad284075f0c

Port Adelaide president David Koch’s speech sends a strong signal of intent

KEN Hinkley does not need reminding his job is on the line as Port Adelaide coach next season. As he walks past the mahogany honour board at Alberton there is the warning.

No Port Adelaide coach keeps his job after three consecutive misses in September (not even an AFL premiership winner such as Mark Williams).

So Power president David Koch’s speech at the Port Adelaide club champion count on Friday night — a definite “line-in-the-sand” declaration with the theme of being “ruthless” — would not have surprised Hinkley. And he had warning.

Season 2017, said Koch, began at 9am on the Sunday after the Saturday night season-closer with Gold Coast. Club president, chief executive Keith Thomas, Hinkley and captain Travis Boak are wasting no time.

“A robust and confronting session,” Koch said of the meeting after Port Adelaide ranked 10th with a 10-12 win-loss count, a fall on last year’s disappointing record of 12-10 and ninth.

“Mediocre,” adds Koch of how the Power has fallen from a rebound finalist in 2013 and top-four player in 2014 to become an also ran.

“Why were we mediocre?” was the start-up question, adds Koch.

And then the warning.

“We asked the question if we were ruthless enough (in decision making),” Koch said.

“We weren’t — and we asked how we are going to change that,” added Koch noting there need to be more ruthless-minded people at work at Alberton where Hinkley next year will work with his fifth different coaching panel.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...t/news-story/cf23a20d170968e26f5c1ad284075f0c
Hopefully he read the vanilla thread.

Not sure about how I feel re Kochie comments above.

On one hand why are we mediocre, on the other by the way preseason this year in China to help plug the club.

Personally we've got a lot to work to do, a lot of it mental and I'd rather see the lads trying to build some mental toughness and team bonding exercise in some remote wilderness than standing around for the cameras in China.

Hate the corporate demands of our modern day game:oops:

Mate you are WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont rewrite history! Go back and read the news reports. We were told clearly that there was only going to be ONE South Australian license handed out, and ALL the media reports said that the Crows were front runners. Port made some noise, presented a case, but then backed out once it was clear that we had no show .... no point in wasting time & money on it when the Crows had it in the bag.

If you doubt the above, go and talk to someone in the club.
Hi mate, have a listen to kT's interview regarding China and the women's team and YOU will find that I was in fact not wrong at all.

Last edited:
Not sure about how I feel re Kochie comments above.

On one hand why are we mediocre, on the other by the way preseason this year in China to help plug the club.

Personally we've got a lot to work to do, a lot of it mental and I'd rather see the lads trying to build some mental toughness and team bonding exercise in some remote wilderness than standing around for the cameras in China.

Hate the corporate demands of our modern day game:oops:

KT was on 5AA the other day. It is hard listening through Rowey's crap, but otherwise I thought it was a particularly good insight into the club's thought processes over the season, noting that even coming out of pre-season and that round 1 game was well below where they thought they should be.

KT on 5AA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Concerning that KT still thinks that long term contracts are the way to go. Even defended Lobbe's contract and said he'll still be important next year. A fair bit of spin in that interview.

I didn't mind them asking some tougher questions.

Until clubs own contracts, contracts are worthless. Players can decide to leave and the club is obliged to help them but when the club want's to move on a player, the player can just say no.

His track record since GF day 2004 is frankly abysmal.

On weight, 2001-2003 was awful as well.

To have nothing to show for 2 minor premierships, a combined 52-14 H&A record (0-3 record in the first home final of each of those seasons) is utterly deplorable.

The parallel universe where Matthews is coach of Port Adelaide and Williams is coach of Brisbane would be a fascinating and in all likelihood, magnificent place.

Edit: 16-18-18 = 52 H&A wins, not 50.

Last edited:
On weight, 2001-2003 was awful as well.

To have nothing to show for 2 minor premierships, a combined 52-14 H&A record (0-3 record in the first home final of each of those seasons) is utterly deplorable.

The parallel universe where Matthews is coach of Port Adelaide and Williams is coach of Brisbane would be a fascinating and in all likelihood, magnificent place.

Edit: 16-18-18 = 52 H&A wins, not 50.

Dare I say something very similar to Port Adelaide 3 flags, Brisbane 0?

What he should be saying "And by the way, I love va-China"
Make love, not war

My two boys find that video hilarious because they think he's saying, "gina".

Hi mate, have a listen to kT's interview regarding China and the women's team and YOU will find that I was in fact not wrong at all.
Yeah sure mate, and he was also spot on when he said we done good in giving Lobbe & Hartlett 100yr contracts! Its called public comment. Do you think they are going to keep broadcasting the fact that the Crows won out on the women's license? We went in hard to get one ... but then rightly backed out when it was clear only one license was coming to SA, and the Crows were first up. We have the PAWFC already and the China initiative .... grief!! That is enough at this point!

Yeah sure mate, and he was also spot on when he said we done good in giving Lobbe & Hartlett 100yr contracts! Its called public comment. Do you think they are going to keep broadcasting the fact that the Crows won out on the women's license? We went in hard to get one ... but then rightly backed out when it was clear only one license was coming to SA, and the Crows were first up. We have the PAWFC already and the China initiative .... grief!! That is enough at this point!
So you suposedly have links and leaks from the club. You say KT doesn't want to put it out there yet you take it upon yourself to pur it out there. Makes you a great club man, does it?

Dare I say something very similar to Port Adelaide 3 flags, Brisbane 0?

At least 2. Even extended out from 2001-2007. At least 2.

To only get one when you have three (four if Primus' knee wasn't shot) of the most dominant talls in the nation and won more games than any other club across that span can only be seen as an abject failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back