Lets Talk Yankees

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't forget, though- when Ruth pitched, it was the dead ball era, so run scoring was limited. Not denying it was a fantastic season or that he was a fine pitcher.

On more up to date Yankee news, GM Brian Cashman fractured a leg and broke an ankle sky diving over the weekend. It was an event for chairty. At least they don't have to put him on the DL and find another old geezer for the field.

There aint no good news for the evil Empire. Looks like half of Dad's Army will spend the first month of the season at least in hospital. Texiera injured his wrist hitting off a tee and is expected out for 6 to 8 weeks.

They may have the youngest team through all the guys they bring in to fill the spots of A fraud, grandy, Tex, and Jeter.

There aint no good news for the evil Empire. Looks like half of Dad's Army will spend the first month of the season at least in hospital. Texiera injured his wrist hitting off a tee and is expected out for 6 to 8 weeks.

They may have the youngest team through all the guys they bring in to fill the spots of A fraud, grandy, Tex, and Jeter.

Lion

How do you think Ichiro will fare this season?

I thought they were getting their Wheelchairs fitted:)

You know you ain't having much luck when you lose a player jumping out of a plane and damaging his leg.

They really have to work on getting the next generation through, then work on signing Cano.

I would be shocked if this Yankees side plays in October, but then again it is the Yankees.

Lion

How do you think Ichiro will fare this season?

Don't think he has lost his batting eye, and is very good defensively. Speed may be down, but he is a smart player. I'd look for him to hit reasonably well- question will be his stamina.

Lionbear- wasn't a player hurt skydiving (don't think that would be permitted in their contracts)- it was their general manager.

Don't think Ichiro will be as effective this season, showed a spike when first went to Yankees but numbers have been in decline last 2 seasons.

Interesting vet injuries are all joints, Tex (wrist), Jeter (hip), A-Rod (knee). That's what happens when you get older.

I thought they were getting their Wheelchairs fitted:)

You know you ain't having much luck when you lose a player jumping out of a plane and damaging his leg.

They really have to work on getting the next generation through, then work on signing Cano.

I would be shocked if this Yankees side plays in October, but then again it is the Yankees.
Just give it a few years until We have more cap space, we'll just buy Strasburg and Trout in their prime :p

Just give it a few years until We have more cap space, we'll just buy Strasburg and Trout in their prime :p

Hate to tell you, there is no salary cap in baseball. There is a luxury tax threshold, but teams may go beyond that and pay a penalty. Yankees are working to get under the tax. From what i know, the Phillies are right on the edge, the Dodgers are way over, and the angels are probably over (but I don't know for sure on that one- just a guess when so much is tied up in two guys. Not sure that any other team is in danger.

Yankees could go and spend more money if they chose to, but MLB would fine them for it- I don't know the level, but it must be a fair bit if they are working to get under the limit.

Yeah some big incentives for Yankees to go under the luxury tax threshold of $189m by 2014. Apparently if they get their payroll below that just for one year they can go back over the follwoing year but reduce their tax from 50% to around a third of that. Plus they can also qualify for revenue sharing believe it or not.

Bottom line is they can save a shitload by getting under the threshold.

Formal announcement to be made this weekend, but Mariano will hang them up at the end of 2013. Probably would have done so last year if the injury had not happened- wanted to go out playing.

Will be interesting to see how the HOF vote goes with him in 5 years. closers are not a position the voters have really accepted whole heartedly yet. Tremendous records, both in regular and post season, but I'd say he will NOT be elected the first year.

Yankees may be continuing the Dad's army approach. Apparently have called Derek Lee about coming out of retirement. Cashman was joking with reporters about contacting Chipper Jones...said he did not have Chipper's agent's number.

Yankees may be continuing the Dad's army approach. Apparently have called Derek Lee about coming out of retirement. Cashman was joking with reporters about contacting Chipper Jones...said he did not have Chipper's agent's number.

Love Chipper. But he should stay a 1 team player.
Scott Rolen is the one i want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Chipper bit is just mediot talk. Cashman simply threw the name out, but has made no effort to contact. I agree- he should stay a Brave- and stay retired (from a Philly perspective). A couple of the Braves' guys were saying they had seen chipper and he had added a few pounds over the winter. Think he will be quite happy to put his feet up.

As for Rolen- you can have him. He's a bum in my book- essentially quit on the Phillies years ago.

The Yankees solution to their injury crisis?

vernon-wells-getty2.jpg

Being reported that Jeter will almost certainly start the season on the DL, but the Yankees expect him back by the end of the first week of April, so might not miss much time.

Ehhh.

Melky Mesa has been great in Spring Training. May as well give him a crack

Thanks for saving my team $13 million. Perhaps we can put it towards our next overpaid and/or (nearing) over the hill free agent / trade acquisition. Barry Zito / Tim Lincecum, come on down!

Ahhh thank God Wells will be gone although he has been alright in spring training but there is no spot for him really.
We will still take a massive chunk of the salary

We paid 29 of the 42 million left on the contract.

Yeah, but he is a name, that will mean something, even when he stinks up the joint.

Yanks will be lucky to finish 3rd in the division this year IMO.

Sox Rays and Jays all ahead for mine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back