Lever returns

jessie.dee

Draftee
Oct 8, 2004
Other Teams
Melbourne
Is anyone off to watch Casey play? If so can we have updates on how our boys & most importantly Lever gets on!

We are down by 3 goals end of the 3rd.

Lever had 6 disposals but think he has only played a half?

I just started watching on the vfl app they also have stats etc on there.

I went and watched the first 3/4s of the game.

Lever was ok. Looked a little off the pace as expected, but looked very confident in his knee. No second guessing anything as far as his fitness or his knee.

A couple of times he went to go to a contest he wasn't going to get to and then stopped but by then he had lost his position on his opponent, so i think he just needs some game time to get the feel of that back.

He didn't get a lot of the ball, but he did use it quite well when he did. Would have played at max 50% game time, but the whole time he was on the bench he was yelling instructions, telling players where to set up behind the ball, encouraging good work by players - can see why he was touted as having leadership qualities.

All in all, nothing to get too excited about apart from the fact he got through the game and looked confident with his knee. Should be better for the outing.

Quick aside, the well is pretty dry at Casey. We had i think 8 players playing for Casey, and outside of Preuss, no one else was deserving of a call up. Even Preuss wasn't great, but if Tim Smith if concussed then we don't really have another option. Keilty was no good, James Jordan was ok but is playing as a back pocket and got the run around from their small forwards a little, Sparrow didn't get enough of it to break into a midfield spot, Bedford has a long way to go before senior selection should be considered, Corey Wagner was exactly what you would expect, Maynard is a bull with s**t disposal, and apart from kicking a goal, i cant even remember Kade Chandler doing anything else.

I know modern medicine and technology is getting better, but an ACL injury is usually a 2 year injury in a way. 12 months to recover and another 12 months to find form and have confidence in the knee. The psych part of coming back and fully trusting his knee after 2 reconstructions will be challenging for Lever. I wouldn't expect anywhere near his best until next season. With this season shot, there is zero point in playing him until he's found consistent form.in the VFL, and that might take another month or so.

The beauty about Jake Lever is that he's a natural footballer. Reads the play so well. So I've got confidence in him being able to pick up the pace of it all quickly because he's so smart. Wonder how being in the coach's box has helped him?

No need to rush him. Season is done so focus on 2019. If his ok maybe get him back after the bye. VFL time is fine for a while.
On the flip side, the season is done, so what is the harm in getting him back in as soon as he can physically get through a game, and let him get his touch back in the AFL?

I am not saying miss the entire season, but I’d just want to make sure he is 100%.

Couple of VFL games won't hurt him (unless he gets hurt, in which case they'll hurt him). Enough of the underdone players getting a guernsey on game day.

Back