Toast Levi Buckets

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly, it was great to hear Malthouse say that despite the big loss there were four or five senior listed players who had impressed by doing everything that was asked from them.

Harker, any guess who those four or five might be?
Yes I took note of that too. MM is cryptic at times at one point he seemed to suggest there could a number of changes but later he seemed to step back from that. I too am curious about which senior listed players performed well for the the Northern Blues. Selection will be interesting tomorrow.

Great game from Levi. Good that there was often someone front and centre after he led and marked to take it off him - that's playing to your strengths!

His kicking action can be fixed very quickly. There are a few things he needs to work on but by far the biggest flaw he has is the ball drop. It is not smooth (i.e. can "flick" the right hand off the ball) and the release point is far too high, which exacerbates any off-axis ball tumble.
That were the case it would have happened years ago.

That were the case it would have happened years ago.

That's right and it always surprises me when ones field kicking is good yet things go awry when there are sticks involved.

Levi has been worked on and even though he'll never be Lockett, he should be good enough to hang onto his place as long as his round-the-ground work-rate stays as is.

... Who wouldnt be happy with a spine like that?

And in a couple of years, we could end up with a defence of:

Tuohy, Jamison, McCarthy
Armfield, Watson, Temay

And a forward line of:

Garlett, Henderson, Menzel
Casboult, Mitchell, Yarran
Good post Dram. We are in a better position now to appoint and develop strategically instead of plugging holes all over the field. And it makes sense to be developing the next cohort instead of throwing them in the deep end and expecting them to outplay match hardened opponents. Levi will have some other young guns to join him who will have had game time to hone the skills.

The spine looks stronger than we have had in years.** If the back and front six you identify get close to fulfilling their potential, then we should serious contenders. The mix of talls and smalls with talent suggests exciting times ahead.

**Though I will forever miss Armfield at CHB!

Exactly, it was great to hear Malthouse say that despite the big loss there were four or five senior listed players who had impressed by doing everything that was asked from them.

Harker, any guess who those four or five might be?
At a guess - Simpson, Waite, Walker and Henderson.
Just to clarify, I think SpareTime was referring to Mick's comment that four or five senior listed players performed well in the Northern Blues loss. Harks, your views on this are more than welcome. MM can be cryptic at times - and rightly so!

I think I may have posted what I thought in the NB's thread but anyway:

Bootsma was best. Just seemed to be in a more aggressive mood from the onset which is just what I wanted to see from him.
His man, try as he may, couldn't get hand to ball with Josh spoiling in the first couple of quarters and then started to back himself and mark against him.

Bell worked his barge-arse off. :) If effort stands for anything he'd be playing.

Rowe was interesting in that he was played back initially, a little stint in the ruck and then went forward.
Had a feeling that this was planned beforehand and had nothing to do with the state of the game. He was good.

Watson: Can't see the fit just yet, but I've loved the way he's been working in recent weeks irrespective of what some may say.
In consideration of his attributes, he couldn't have done much better. I would have had him second best behind Bootsma, but some may disagree because he's......slow. :rolleyes:

Duigan played a good game but just can't see a call-up forthcoming. Laidler didn't impose himself enough and Buckley just played in bursts.

Joseph? Maybe, but where and for who?

McInnes looked likely but surely not after just one game in the VFL.

Fix Levi's kicking for goal?

Hypnotist-with-a-fob-watc-001.jpg

I think I may have posted what I thought in the NB's thread but anyway:

Bootsma was best. Just seemed to be in a more aggressive mood from the onset which is just what I wanted to see from him.
His man, try as he may, couldn't get hand to ball with Josh spoiling in the first couple of quarters and then started to back himself and mark against him.

Bell worked his barge-arse off. :) If effort stands for anything he'd be playing.

Rowe was interesting in that he was played back initially, a little stint in the ruck and then went forward.
Had a feeling that this was planned beforehand and had nothing to do with the state of the game. He was good.

Watson: Can't see the fit just yet, but I've loved the way he's been working in recent weeks irrespective of what some may say.
In consideration of his attributes, he couldn't have done much better. I would have had him second best behind Bootsma, but some may disagree because he's......slow. :rolleyes:

Duigan played a good game but just can't see a call-up forthcoming. Laidler didn't impose himself enough and Buckley just played in bursts.

Joseph? Maybe, but where and for who?

McInnes looked likely but surely not after just one game in the VFL.
Yes, I just looked up your summary on the NB board post #644 I think. Sorry, should have looked there first.

Good to hear Bootsma, Watson, Bell and Rowe did well even if NBs outclassed.

Yes, I just looked up your summary on the NB board post #644 I think. Sorry, should have looked there first.
Good to hear Bootsma, Watson, Bell and Rowe did well even if NBs outclassed.

Yes, Geelong outclassed the NB's in general but it was clear why and having a few well performing senior players isn't enough to beat a team that's playing as a team.
Even though the margin was similar to our loss to them last year at Visy, it was a much better effort from the boys that matter. Does that make sense?

The Northern Blues lost two games back to back against Port and Sandy, yet the positives outweighed anything that the previous wins showed up.
Casboult, Cachia, Bell, Bootsma and Ellard really showed up in those games. That's what matters.

Casboult has played two really good games, definately persist with him regardless of how he kicks for goal. That up the ground role he played suites him really well, we just need a tall to play between he and Waite.

Yes, Geelong outclassed the NB's in general but it was clear why and having a few well performing senior players isn't enough to beat a team that's playing as a team.
Even though the margin was similar to our loss to them last year at Visy, it was a much better effort from the boys that matter. Does that make sense?

The Northern Blues lost two games back to back against Port and Sandy, yet the positives outweighed anything that the previous wins showed up.
Casboult, Cachia, Bell, Bootsma and Ellard really showed up in those games. That's what matters.
Makes perfect sense to me. It is factors like how we set up and the roles players are playing more than the scoreboard.

And much appreciate your assessment of our listed players' performance as well.

Casboult has played two really good games, definately persist with him regardless of how he kicks for goal. That up the ground role he played suites him really well, we just need a tall to play between he and Waite.

Thats why I have been suggesting that we would be going for a KPD this year with Casboult given licence to roam up the ground and Henderson going to the forward line.

The opposition have to send a defender or the ruck with Casboult or his contested marking up the ground will just rip the s**t out of the opposition. If we have Henderson (or even Rowe) as the player in between Casboult and Waite (Mitchell) then the opposition are going to have to stretch themselves all over the place with talls.

If they dont match up with Casboult and leave him to roam, we are going to have Casboult and whoever the ruckman is that we are playing at that time a kick ahead of the play. And both of them can clunk marks... and with only 1 tall player to try and sit on them... something is going to break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's right and it always surprises me when ones field kicking is good yet things go awry when there are sticks involved.

Levi has been worked on and even though he'll never be Lockett, he should be good enough to hang onto his place as long as his round-the-ground work-rate stays as is.

Levi May have been worked on but the people doing the work are clueless if the work has produced no improvement in his Kicking. Which would suggest the people doing the work are barking up the wrong tree.

There are people out there who specialize in habit breaking psychology at elite sports level..Sadly the AFL Track record for players like this is woeful to incompetent at best.

I was only kidding, above, in suggesting hypnotism. :eek:

It just annoys me no end Levi can be FIXED to be just as reliable and accurate as Lockett ,How do you think elite golfers become better putters ? It is not always about Technique .

His marking and poor kicking for goal actually reminds me of a young Fev. Unfortunately his athleticism/speed does not.

As long as he can be a bustling Earl Spalding type that crashes packs creating contests and kicks the occasional sausage roll, I'll be relatively pleased.

His marking and poor kicking for goal actually reminds me of a young Fev. Unfortunately his athleticism/speed does not.

As long as he can be a bustling Earl Spalding type that crashes packs creating contests and kicks the occasional sausage roll, I'll be relatively pleased.

I'm with you on that. I think that his confidence in his kicking for goal will improve with the experience he gets playing the game and will also be improved on by getting in a decent forwards coach who can actually work on his deficiencies and remove them from his game.

And the comparison to Earl is a good one... a big bustling CHF who basically laid waste to all and sundry when he went for the mark. The biggest score he managed while playing VFL/AFL was 4 goals.

Indeed, of course, though IMO he moves pretty well for his size. Dempsey can attest to that :D

He's still more your old fashioned footballer compared to these "new age" athletic talls everyone seems to be targeting, but I think especially whenever he's matched up against an opposition ruck around the ground, he'll be a bit like Lynch and have a bit too much agility and toe for most rucks.

I'm with you on that. I think that his confidence in his kicking for goal will improve with the experience he gets playing the game and will also be improved on by getting in a decent forwards coach who can actually work on his deficiencies and remove them from his game.

And the comparison to Earl is a good one... a big bustling CHF who basically laid waste to all and sundry when he went for the mark. The biggest score he managed while playing VFL/AFL was 4 goals.

One Question how did that approach work for Richardson ?

Fevola is Andrew Walkers height, whilst Casboult is ruck-man size. Very different beasts altogether.

Speed is terrific but endurance is better and Levi to his credit has improved markedly.

Remember also that Casboult is more of a CHF than a FF. Still needs to kick goals no doubt but would be just as happy for him to be the big target around the ground also.

It just annoys me no end Levi can be FIXED to be just as reliable and accurate as Lockett ,How do you think elite golfers become better putters ? It is not always about Technique .
What exactly are you incinerating?

You can see that his technique has improved from last year, and IMO it will only be a matter of time until he kicks 3-4 in a game. Last week was a great effort from him - time to back it up this week against opposition that is no better than what he faced last week (in terms of defenders)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back