Levi Casboult or Tyrone Vickery

Who would you have?

• Total voters

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
BigFooty's hate for Vickery is blinding this poll.

Much better talent and output than Casboult even though I admit he has his flaws as a player.

Better talent yes.... hence the difference in their draft positions.... however Vickery is a terrible player....

Mar 14, 2009
MCG
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham
Better talent yes.... hence the difference in their draft positions.... however Vickery is a terrible player....

"Terrible players" don't average near on 2 goals a game, so no.

You pretty much just proved my point with that statement.

Much better talent and output than Casboult even though I admit he has his flaws as a player.
Casboult wins (marginally) more of the footy and takes significantly more marks and contested marks. His recent form suggests that his goal output might follow, too. Though they are the same age, Cas has only played 29 games of footy to Vickery's 85, so there's a gulf of experience between them.

3 years ago there were serious doubts on Casboult, mainly due to his mobility and fitness. He's now very fit for a man his size (covers a lot of ground), is surprisingly good at ground level and looks to have improved his accuracy. 4 years ago the majority of footy supporters would have said that Warnock (or any number of ruckmen) are much better talents than Jacobs yet he's now one of the premier ruckmen in the competition.

Bailey01

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Tennis
Hmmm Sideshow Bob or Rock the Casboult......
I like palm trees so Bob

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hmmm Sideshow Bob or Rock the Casboult......
I like palm trees so Bob

No Way Ben Brown is now Sideshow Bob.... Vickery can be sideshow Mel though...

Ben+Brown+AFL+Draft+Combine+bh-zmI6dysul.jpg
o-SIDESHOW-BOB-570.jpg
v
284298-tyrone-vickery.jpg
84bb63f3805cb7e785e7603bcc340d1f.png

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A 200cm player who debuted at 19yo ... what do you expect from a career average at this point? o_O
What are you talking about?
The richmond bloke said he is averaging 2 goals a game and i corrected him.... did you even read the whole thread?

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
What are you talking about?
The richmond bloke said he is averaging 2 goals a game and i corrected him.... did you even read the whole thread?

You didn't correct anything. The poster was obviously talking about Vickery's stats this season. You just changed the context from that to his career, whereby one would expect any 24yo who debuted at 19yo (let alone a 200cm player) to have career average stats lower than his current season.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You didn't correct anything. The poster was obviously talking about Vickery's stats this season. You just changed the context from that to his career, whereby one would expect any 24yo who debuted at 19yo (let alone a 200cm player) to have career average stats lower than his current season.
what ever helps you sleep at night mate.....

Big Bad Buddy

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2008
Somewhere
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Liverpool
Hard to say - Vickery in form provides a relief target and can prove to be a handy forward. But, when his off, he really isn't worth having in the side. Lacks defensive pressure and sloppy at times. However, would still rather have him in the side then Levi.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Vickery is like Jack Watts for me, has all the attributes but lacks the hunger for the contest. He will have the odd very good game mixed in with a lot of ordinary.

Casboult is like Stewie Loewe. Powerful and hungry with an ordinary kick. He has come on in leaps and bounds but there will come a time where his kicking will go completely off and it will kill his whole game. Like Stewie Loewe, they need to work, work, work on a set shot routine that works and he is comfortable with and then it's up to him to stay consistent with it no matter what. Loewe remained a pretty ordinary kick but got his set shot routine to the point where it was pretty reliable. I remember when he first started with it and people would laugh at him making a mark in the turn before having a set shot.

So at this pont, Casboult for me with some concerns.

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets

Much better output? Their is barely anything between their career averages, Casboult just playing 50 odd fewer games.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Vickery is like Jack Watts for me, has all the attributes but lacks the hunger for the contest. He will have the odd very good game mixed in with a lot of ordinary.

Casboult is like Stewie Loewe. Powerful and hungry with an ordinary kick. He has come on in leaps and bounds but there will come a time where his kicking will go completely off and it will kill his whole game. Like Stewie Loewe, they need to work, work, work on a set shot routine that works and he is comfortable with and then it's up to him to stay consistent with it no matter what. Loewe remained a pretty ordinary kick but got his set shot routine to the point where it was pretty reliable. I remember when he first started with it and people would laugh at him making a mark in the turn before having a set shot.

So at this pont, Casboult for me with some concerns.
Dont think Carlton will complain if they get a Loewe out of Casboult.....

8 goals in his last 3 games, starting to come into some decent form is Ty.

If he can finish the year with around 30 goals, that would be a good effort IMO.

It's sort of funny. He's been criticised pretty heavily by the media this season and put under more scrutiny than he has ever probably got (which is fair enough given the team's struggles) but he's only 6 goals short of his tally from last year having played 10 less games (and 7 to go for the season). If his form holds and he kicks 2 goals a game in those matches, he would go close to his PB for a season's tally (36) - which, at the start of the season, most Tiger fans would be pretty happy with in terms of a return for the year.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
The only thing that would make me think about having Vickery over Levi is that Vickery has been a better goal kicker (both in numbers and consistency). Having said that, Levi is turning that aspect of his game around lately and going ahead, it looks like he will be a very good target for us.

A huge bloke to crash packs, take big marks and hold his own in the ruck is a very valuable commodity.

Also, Vickery has ******* ridiculous hair. :)

Back