Toast Levi Casboult

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Sure that's one way to look at it.
I'd suggest that they may be rewarding effort and backing their player regardless of result but who knows really?
Either way I believe 3 big mobile forwards is enough and Levi is surplus. No offence to Levi but he's had plenty of opportunity whether earnt or not, time to show that same love for Patty Kerr.
Mobility be damned he has the talent, smarts, ability and competitive game, just needs the experience of the seniors to grow.

You got it. Weeks back when playing Phillips. Lobbe and Casboult in side together made no sense. We deserved to lose to Gold Coast for being so silly in selection to start with going top heavy. This is last season for Levi. As long as he played 100 games for club, good on him, he has achieved something many would be proud to have done. Always been one of best marks in league but his kicking has always been a major flaw that meant he cannot be reliable guy in side. The future is a guy like Kerr on our list that needs developing when opportunity arises as season goes on. Hope Levi plays out rest of season in VFL and he is part of a Northern Blues team that can make finals and help the likes of Macreadie, Ben Silvagni, De Koning, Schumacher, Finbar and Owies experience some good wins at that level.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
You got it. Weeks back when playing Phillips. Lobbe and Casboult in side together made no sense. We deserved to lose to Gold Coast for being so silly in selection to start with going top heavy. This is last season for Levi. As long as he played 100 games for club, good on him, he has achieved something many would be proud to have done. Always been one of best marks in league but his kicking has always been a major flaw that meant he cannot be reliable guy in side. The future is a guy like Kerr on our list that needs developing when opportunity arises as season goes on. Hope Levi plays out rest of season in VFL and he is part of a Northern Blues team that can make finals and help the likes of Macreadie, Ben Silvagni, De Koning, Schumacher, Finbar and Owies experience some good wins at that level.
We were top heavy for one last gasp second yeah......
So we go in top heavy but Kerr should play instead of Levi...thereby keeping us top heavy......the logic here escapes me.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
We were top heavy for one last gasp second yeah......
No, we were top heavy in front half and back half all game. If we had more runners in the game I doubt Gold Coast would have got even close at the end.

So we go in top heavy but Kerr should play instead of Levi...thereby keeping us top heavy......the logic here escapes me.
Sorry if it escapes. I was not saying specifically in that game Kerr should have played. Ideally neither of Lobbe or Levi should have been playing. But in general going forward if ever Harry McKay or Curnow are out, Kerr should be in team before Levi. Levi should be break glass situation of all McKay, Curnow and McGovern out at once. Kerr needs to get more opportunity, Levi we know is not the future. Levi or Kerr or Lobbe should not be playing but if we got 2 of our tall forwards out, Kerr should be in before Levi.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
No, we were top heavy in front half and back half all game. If we had more runners in the game I doubt Gold Coast would have got even close at the end.

Sorry if it escapes. I was not saying specifically in that game Kerr should have played. Ideally neither of Lobbe or Levi should have been playing. But in general going forward if ever Harry McKay or Curnow are out, Kerr should be in team before Levi. Levi should be break glass situation of all McKay, Curnow and McGovern out at once. Kerr needs to get more opportunity, Levi we know is not the future. Levi or Kerr or Lobbe should not be playing but if we got 2 of our tall forwards out, Kerr should be in before Levi.

I think that the great sides over time all have a bevy of talented big guys and our problem is not them at all but not enough speed to balance it out a la the famous mosquito fleet

Yet to see Kerr bring any physicality over 4 quarters and Levi is a better mark and can ruck. Kerr will get his chance I expect but has to do a lot more to get it.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

FF78, it seems this "too tall" discussion, will continue for some time, even when we are on the rise, but if we are going to highlight a possible ineffectiveness it in a close loss, perhaps we should also highlight it as a point of difference in a solid win

Against GC:

Casboult 201 Ballard 195
McKay 200 Collins 194
Curnow 194 Hombsch 194
McGovern 190 Joyce 191

A week later against the Dogs:

Casboult 201 Cordy 193
McKay 200 Young 189
Silvagni 191 Wood 187
McGovern 190 Crozier 185

I really don't think height has ever been a factor in a win or loss in any game over the last 10 years, but I would agree agility and mobility would be more appropriate. If you have two wingman, with the exact same attributes, speed, endurance, kicking, marking etc, I think every recruiter/coach in the land would select the taller player

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
He’s been shopped around plenty and there has never been any interest. Says it all really.
It says to me that there are 2 separate issues.
1 Casboult is playing better football than the back up ruck forward in the top side in the league side.(Stacks up pretty well against Cox as well)
2 Other teams would prefer to try to develop a better talent than Casboult despite him producing comparable stats in the worst side in the comp.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Kerr will get his chance I expect but has to do a lot more to get it.
He will and hopefully before Casboult plays his next game. Neither should be in the side this weekend but hopefully in second half of season if we have 2 talls out of front half we get to give Kerr another taste of what the next level up will require him to work towards in next off season.

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
pure this :thumbsu:
Horrie Lyndrum while not as famous as his Billiard playing brother was also a world champion, but at snooker. Apparently (that is, that's what I was told as a boy) he lived next door to my Fathers Grandmother in Albert Rd and Dad used to go to his place after school where Horrie taught the old man how to play. Dad was no world champ, but he made a few quid playing pub pool, and I don't think I ever beat him :)

sorry to go off topic

djholmes

All Australian
Oct 9, 2007
Tasmania
AFL Club
Carlton
Because Brendan Bolton is stupid, Casboult will play another game, take an excellent mark, then kick the ball out of bounds on the full. You can't just pick someone because they are a good mark. How can you expect us to compete when you keep playing silly people like Casboult who can't kick the football.

Because Brendan Bolton is stupid, Casboult will play another game, take an excellent mark, then kick the ball out of bounds on the full. You can't just pick someone because they are a good mark. How can you expect us to compete when you keep playing silly people like Casboult who can't kick the football.
Why does it make him silly?

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Leave him alone he was a very late rookie and done his job amicably didnt he have two knee recos. He done well being triple teamed in defence for years.

J-dog

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Look P Kerr probably isn't the answer either but after 7 years of little to no output I know for sure Levi is not the answer either.
Try something different and let a kid with promise have a crack for 3 or 4 weeks.
If he can snag 1 a game then we have lost nothing.
Don't forget the Bolt has had 3 donut games this year and already a few out on the full.
He has well and truly peaked. Deal with it.

Can you stop discussing team selection in the Levi thread. It's supposed to be a reflection of his career, not a roast of his ability.

I actually called him "disabled" using a another word for it and it got auto changed to "silly".
Lucky it doesn't auto change your username to something more appropriate as well then, pretty poor form

Back