J-dog

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Can you stop discussing team selection in the Levi thread. It's supposed to be a reflection of his career, not a roast of his ability.
The sorry thing is that his career has not met expectation, and it's the same reasons every year and the same excuses.
Surely it can't be that hard to find a career forward who leads well, is a decent mark and can kick straight.
The bloke can only do 1 of these things (admittedly very well) but we don't need a superstar - just someone who can do these 3 things to a decent level and we will be ahead of where we are now.

No-one has argued my points yet but I hear lots of 'Levi hater' comments.
I judge him on how he plays and no offence to the man but right now I would take any other forward from any other team and give them a chance until Levi can prove his worth (by starting again in the 2s and working his way up).

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
The sorry thing is that his career has not met expectation, and it's the same reasons every year and the same excuses.
Surely it can't be that hard to find a career forward who leads well, is a decent mark and can kick straight.
The bloke can only do 1 of these things (admittedly very well) but we don't need a superstar - just someone who can do these 3 things to a decent level and we will be ahead of where we are now.

I judge him on how he plays and no offence to the man but right now I would take any other forward from any other team and give them a chance until Levi can prove his worth (by starting again in the 2s and working his way up).

Levi was a rookie selection, if you hold concerns about us not recruiting appropriate forwards, prior to the rebuild, direct your angst at the past recruiters, not Levi

J-dog

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Valid point

Just one question, as a back up ruck/forward, who would you have selected out of

Levi, Phillips, Lobbe
If we don't have a capable player (I don't believe he is) then I would at least try for a game or 2 forfeiting the ruck and try to trap the opposition and force more turnovers with running players.
Not saying it will work either but gotta try something at least.
Grigg is no ruckman but he's not a dumb player either, plus he can jump. Do we not have a similar player on the list?

J-dog

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Levi was a rookie selection, if you hold concerns about us not recruiting appropriate forwards, prior to the rebuild, direct your angst at the past recruiters, not Levi
My angst is with match selection.
Kudos to him for trying his arse off.
Shame it hasn't worked out the way everyone intended.
But I guess that's football.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
If we don't have a capable player (I don't believe he is) then I would at least try for a game or 2 forfeiting the ruck and try to trap the opposition and force more turnovers with running players.
Not saying it will work either but gotta try something at least.
Grigg is no ruckman but he's not a dumb player either, plus he can jump. Do we not have a similar player on the list?

Last comment here, as the mods have indicated this is not for ins and outs

But, the Grigg experiment stopped when they changed the 6 6 6 rule, every club is now playing 2 x ruck, ruck/forward combination

so what were your expectations of his career?

J-dog

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
so what were your expectations of his career?
Big dominant forward to average 2-3 goals a game, demands opposition worry/plans for him.
He has the size but not the rest.
Averages 1 a game and many more OOTF.
Doesn't lead well, crashes teammates, has endurance but unsure where to run and not fast off the mark, doesn't work over an opponent, doesn't bring teammates into the play, and I don't know what else off the top of my head.
Really liked the 2 from 50 he booted the other week but historically he misses from everywhere. He's more cuddly bear then grizzly bear. If he's not athletic (and he's not) we should be teaching him to play like Locket. Lead from the square, crunch any opponent in your way.
I want him to succeed mate but if it hasn't happened yet I don't think it ever will. Can't say he's a kid learning - he's had years and he's an adult. He should be doing everything he can to make his career a great one, but either he hasn't or it just isn't working.
Let's put some energy into some young blood and see if they can get near it.

J-dog

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Last comment here, as the mods have indicated this is not for ins and outs

But, the Grigg experiment stopped when they changed the 6 6 6 rule, every club is now playing 2 x ruck, ruck/forward combination
I'm no grand strategist but I have seen for a long time that while we are persisting with Levi it just isn't working and he doesn't seem to do any one thing particularly well other than catch the ball.
Wiser heads can work out the strategy, but at least bring in an alternative player who has the potential to play the position.
I dunno. Last person I thought that could really make a big difference in our forward line was Hampson coz no-one could get near his hands when he flew for a mark.
Too bad his hands were made of stone.

I really do hope Levi can deliver for the club and for himself, he tries hard and would be good for him to get the reward for effort.
I'm just sceptical.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Because Brendan Bolton is stupid, Casboult will play another game, take an excellent mark, then kick the ball out of bounds on the full. You can't just pick someone because they are a good mark. How can you expect us to compete when you keep playing silly people like Casboult who can't kick the football.

:think:

Thought he was absolutely outstanding down back.

I was concerned when I saw him head into defence but to his credit he completely smashed Reid.

Had a shocker last week but responded well today playing a completely foreign role, which is a huge credit to him.

Thing about Levi, is for all his little moments that make you think there isn't a lot going on between the ears, he's obviously a very coachable player.

He got given a task and a foreign role as J said above, applied himself, and went about his business. Credit to the big lug, he did well.

J-dog

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Thats all very well. Sorry would make it better. You said he is no good.
Too much of this stuff happens.
I still think he is no good - it was only one game mate and he's had plenty of shockers.
Like I said I do hope he can contribute well consistently but I'm still very sceptical.
Good luck to him anyway.

Back