Recommitted Levi Casboult [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

We're pissed are we?

Judging by your comment then yes you definitely are! Every team would be pissed if they could have swapped a casboult type player for a hopper type player but ended up keeping a guy you don't really need. What am I missing?

Judging by your comment then yes you definitely are! Every team would be pissed if they could have swapped a casboult type player for a hopper type player but ended up keeping a guy you don't really need. What am I missing?
Heaps.Whilst cas is not that power forward type he provides that big body that crashes packs and obviously can take a mark not to mention help out whilst Mckay is still devoloping.Carlton supporters are very aware that he is limited in his capabilities.Yes an additional mid would have been beneficiary to us I'm sure Sos will find other ways to improve our list.So all in all not pissed just a tad dissapointed.

Defensive analysis is never simple and based on many things. I suggest the ability of your forward line to lock the ball in and Cotchin & Martin having career best seasons in the middle has more to do with those points ranges than any singular input from the Richmond defence.

Richmonds defence is ranked 15th for rebound 50's, but the side are 3rd for inside 50's and 2nd for tackles inside 50.

Logical conclusion: the ball isn't getting in to the back line as much as it once did. It's certainly not getting rebounded with any great consistency when it does get there.

They are also 2nd for intercepts which suggests their press is working very well due to the added emphasis on leg speed.

The most important man in your club right now is the list manager and his ability overcome your shortcoming with what are certain to be, inadequate financial resources relative to other clubs. He is going to be the difference between the Tigers being a competitive side or a genuine contender. They must address the tall forward issue. By all means keep Griffiths on the list in the hope he can get on the park regularly, but then the club needs to focus on discarded/fringe players, the VFL and also the draft for the future. It wouldn't surprise me if they brought 3 tall marking players on to their list at the end of the year (i.e. Hansen, 1 x VFL, 1 x draft) as a back up for Astbury is also crucial.
Excellent post. Excellent post.:thumbsu:
I agree with the fwd pressure analysis. Clearly makes life easier for the defence not only in the way you explained, about the ball getting down there less. It also helps the backline to be more "set up" as the forward pressure means the ball in generally coming in slower as well as less frequency. If our forward pressure drops off, we get exposed easier (St Kilda). Also the addition of Prestia/Caddy has meant less pressure on Cotchin/Martin, therefore better years, as you stated.

Financially, I don't think we are as tied up as people think, and will get some relief this year through Deledio/Yarran and retirements. But we are in no way near the top of the spending tree. (You guys clearly)

The talls remain an issue, and I would have liked Casboult purely from a structural POV. His strong hands would have given a certainty we don't possess.
I don't see Hansen able to compete at that level. But now he is a freebie, I do see the value in having him on the list. Wouldn't cost much, can play both ends, and we are threadbare in the KP Dept.

If Rance/Ast/Jack go down, there is nothing. Cal Moore may make it, Chol won't, Elton will be delisted. I believe in Garthwaite, but he is still too light and another 12 months away.

I know plenty of Tiger fans would rail against it, but I'd take Hansen on min chips for a yearly rolling contract no dramas.

Well done to Levi on staying at Blues btw.

Agree, Tiges are thin on talls. It comes down to neither Vickery nor Griffiths being able to consistently have the impact expected. I'm surprised they didn't go for Levi harder - but maybe they did. Hansen for free is a good insurance policy for the backline, but he's shown no ability to play forward in his career to-date. That support position for Jack up forward remains completely vacant for the Tigers, and why the style they play is essential to their chances this year and in the foreseeable future. They simply do not have the bail out, long-and-high kick option. I suspect everything Hardwick will be saying before the Cats game will be "lower your eyes" and variations thereof. The quick small forwards will terrify the slow Cats backline, but any 9 irons into 50 will expose the lack of Levi.

If we didn't need him we wouldn't have kept him. Logic.

We need Levi when we have two 20 year old as key forwards next year without him. He also provides ruck back up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back