Oppo Camp Levi Greenwood to be on SEN after 6.00 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very disappointed that we let levi go as soon as we have a decent season. I don't think we will ever know the true story.

Err. We basically do.

Before Levi exploded and started playing B&F footy, we offered him (at that point, a fringe midfielder who was getting Swallow's minutes only through Swallow's injury) a one year contract extension. Fair enough, at that stage, all he was worth.

Then Levi proceeded to go nuts, his market value went up, we offered an improved deal within our pay structure which was bettered by two clubs and we refused to compromise the team's pay structure and TPP by offering Levi a deal which could trump both Collingwood and the Dogs.

Am I missing something here?

So I guess the 600K or so that we spent on the FAs would be untouchable.

Fine - the footy club can do no wrong.

It's not that the footy club can do no wrong.

The facts are Levi was offered a better contract elsewhere and left. Good luck to him.

Err. We basically do.

Before Levi exploded and started playing B&F footy, we offered him (at that point, a fringe midfielder who was getting Swallow's minutes only through Swallow's injury) a one year contract extension. Fair enough, at that stage, all he was worth.

Then Levi proceeded to go nuts, his market value went up, we offered an improved deal within our pay structure which was bettered by two clubs and we refused to compromise the team's pay structure and TPP by offering Levi a deal which could trump both Collingwood and the Dogs.

Am I missing something here?
Not suggesting anything really. I'm just saying that this could have been an unhappy player, or a big headed attitude, etc etc (not saying it is) which could have complicated negotiations. Just saying we don't always know the real story.

All well and good that we couldn't match the offers from other clubs, but why the * did we let him go for peanuts in exchange?

Pick 25 was way unders and if Neilson becomes half the player Greenhead was I'd be very surprised.

We got stooged.

All well and good that we couldn't match the offers from other clubs, but why the **** did we let him go for peanuts in exchange?

Pick 25 was way unders and if Neilson becomes half the player Greenhead was I'd be very surprised.

We got stooged.
You expect too much. And comparing players of distinctly different types is dodgy.

The club should have offered more late in the season,they left it too late for other clubs to approach him. End of story.
Levi accepted a s**t load of coin from Collingwood over sticking with us and shooting for a flag. Regardless of what transpired before, the choice to leave was sealed with Levi signing a contract. End of story.

Last edited:
I dont care much for him now, but we gave him 4 contract offers, right up until he left where we matched Collingwoods.
Levi left because he was dicked around by the club. Should not have been the case.
The initial offer of 1 year was pathetic and if we followed that up with the 3 yearer, 375ker instead of a two yearer, 250k deal he would have stayed.
But his leaving was a statement in our direction about how he was treated.

All well and good that we couldn't match the offers from other clubs, but why the **** did we let him go for peanuts in exchange?

We got stooged.
I agree 25 seems a bit under the value Collingwood have placed on him, given the contract they offered him. However, 25 was the pick they had; you can't just declare him to be worth 20 and expect them to find it from somewhere. FWIW, the players taken 20-24:

Laverde
Goddard
D McKenzie
McKenna
Steele

We were reportedly keen on McKenzie, so yeah maybe getting 25 instead of 22 or better is a bit of a bummer. We'll be fine with Nielson though.

In theory, I would have liked to see a swap of 36-30 thrown in. In practice, that would have given us the option of taking one of the following instead of EVW:

Brayden Maynard
Daniel Howe
Tom Lamb
Connor Menadue
Connor Blakely
Harrison Wigg

Is any of those worth so much more than EVW that it's worth scuttling the deal for and have him walk to the PSD? Probably not.

Why are we still talking about Greenwood?
Good point. Mea culpa.

Once I started actually looking though, it was vaguely interesting to see what we actually missed out on relative to what we thought was "fair value" before the draft. And "vaguely interesting" makes the cut for offseason, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Levi accepted a s**t load of coin from Collingwood over sticking with us and shooting for a flag. Regardless of what transpired before, the choice to leave was sealed with Levi signing a contract. End of story.

that is correct but it should have been signed and sealed before north left the door open for other clubs to approach him. North know they stuffed up by leaving it too long, end of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back