Player Watch Levi Greenwood (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Greenwood just had off to the runner, Howe, Dunn, Maynard, Pendlebury every single time he marks and would normally have a set shot. 10m or 50m. Set shot kicking just is not his thing. A hand off to a number of good long kicks on the run even going back a ways, Greenwood from 25m or Howe/Dunn/Maynard/Smith/Pendlebury from 40 on the run, it's going to be a better conversion rate.

Always thought Cloke should have handed off all kicks within 30m.

His goal kicking is generally pretty good. Been off a bit this year but it's not like he's the only one.

Bumped after Greenwood's great game on Sunday. He was huge for us in the last quarter, steady and determined. You could see him willing us to a win, and I had absolutely no doubt that he'd nail that goal. He is that kind of player.

Bumped after Greenwood's great game on Sunday. He was huge for us in the last quarter, steady and determined. You could see him willing us to a win, and I had absolutely no doubt that he'd nail that goal. He is that kind of player.
His one handed gather off the pack was sublime too, (he then kicked it to De Goey who got that holding free).

Surprisingly good, I had him done and dusted after 6 rounds but looks to be able to play multiple roles on game day. Impressive!

Last edited:

I thought he'd been good the last few games. Really starting to build some form.

Must tag Sloane this week. If he doesn't, it will be a massive cockup.

I'd actually like DeGoey to spend some time on Sloan. Would be fantastic for his development to see the required work rate.

I'd actually like DeGoey to spend some time on Sloan. Would be fantastic for his development to see the required work rate.
Yeah I would be ok for him to spend some time on Sloane. Even if he spent some time on one of the Crouch brothers. Their step up this year has been pretty impressive.

Once back will shine
Always does at contract time
Not a seconds player and don't think he's ever not considered when cherry ripe
Key player

Finallynppl realise hos a decent player

I don't think many doubted that he was a decent player, most just seek a better than decent player. If he could consistently deliver in roles other than as a tagger, he'd have cemented a spot in the 22 rather than remain on the fringes of best 22.

Does Levi get a contract next year?

I know most people will say they’ll wait to see how he plays this year but I’m already leaning towards no. I have nothing against him, I just think he’s one we can afford to drop to make way for someone else or an up and coming kid. What does everything think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know most people will say they’ll wait to see how he plays this year but I’m already leaning towards no. I have nothing against him, I just think he’s one we can afford to drop to make way for someone else or an up and coming kid. What does everything think?
I'd take him any day of the week. Just another that gets bashed on here for no rightful reason, can tag key stars out of games, can become a handy pressure/marking forward which he showed last year. I wouldn't pay him on what he was originally getting but I'd still offer him a deal.

Yes from me, he’s a handy player.

Very likely yes - just on less money than it took to get him here.
Only caveat is whether enough young guys overtake him in the midfield or half-fwd roles. JDG should be clearly ahead of him, and Maynard might if moved to the midfield (which I still dont think is a good idea), but then theres a whole range of other guys that could (hopefully) step up. If that happens and its clear Levi is no longer anywhere near our top rotation, then you might see him be let go (but Blair, Mayne (contract permitting) and probably Varcoe would go first)

There are players ahead of him such as Blair/Thomas/Oxley(???) who are more vulnerable, possible retirees like Goldsack/Dunn, and younger players who really need to stamp themselves or risk being traded out like Broomhead/Smith. He's absolutely safe in regards to being on a list somewhere, it's more about if he accepts the lessened contract or if he tries to get more money elsewhere.

I'd take him any day of the week. Just another that gets bashed on here for no rightful reason, can tag key stars out of games, can become a handy pressure/marking forward which he showed last year. I wouldn't pay him on what he was originally getting but I'd still offer him a deal.

He cops it because he’s the worst user by foot on the list. There’s no mystery to it and it’s justified. If his footskills were even half as good as his competitiveness/ desire he’d be much loved. Sadly they are not.

Not sure Campbell. If he’s on minimum chips and is re-signed with the understanding that he’s predominantly a VFL player then I’m a yes, but if he’s being re-signed as a best 22 player then I’m a no.

He cops it because he’s the worst user by foot on the list. There’s no mystery to it and it’s justified. If his footskills were even half as good as his competitiveness/ desire he’d be much loved. Sadly they are not.

Not sure Campbell. If he’s on minimum chips and is re-signed with the understanding that he’s predominantly a VFL player then I’m a yes, but if he’s being re-signed as a best 22 player then I’m a no.

I think his days are stamped in the midfield, but I'm a big fan of him up forward if he can at least improve to a 50% goal-kicking ratio. Good pressure, good hands, good size, the kind of player we need up there at the moment. That's not to say he'd be a best-22 lock, but solid depth with the potential to play 20 games if he got it right. I'd offer him a 2 year deal at 250k without a second thought, 300K if he performs this year.

Greenwood is a hard guy not to like, but we'd hope that he's being pushed out of senior footy at Collingwood in 2018, unless he somehow takes his game to another level.

I guess the following players at least would have a question mark over them at the end of 2018, either for age or their form and fitness will be in the spotlight

Varcoe
Dunn
Greenwood
Goldsack
Mayne
Blair
Aish
Broomhead
Sier
Kirby
Thomas

Also bear in mind we are likely to be expending most or all of our useful picks on academy/fs selections and whatever is required for Lynch if that comes off, and (if I think is inevitable) we try to call time of the Mayne fiasco, that might come with a cost.

Which is a roundabout way of saying I wouldnt cut too deep at the end of 2018, and of those on the list, Greenwood is one who probably offers some value as a ready made big bodied mid/forward player who can do a role compared to the likes of Blair, Thomas, Broomhead, Sier.

I didnt agree with recruiting him, it was dumb, and I dont think he is best 22, but there are still others I think that would go before him and Id be interested in giving him a year even if he is a certified fringe player by end 2018.

I think his days are stamped in the midfield, but I'm a big fan of him up forward if he can at least improve to a 50% goal-kicking ratio. Good pressure, good hands, good size, the kind of player we need up there at the moment. That's not to say he'd be a best-22 lock, but solid depth with the potential to play 20 games if he got it right. I'd offer him a 2 year deal at 250k without a second thought, 300K if he performs this year.

That has him in the same position as Jarryd Blair post 2016, IMO.

Realistically if we make strides in 2017 it’s unlikely that it’s with him as a best 22 option and alternatively if we struggle after 5 years in the wilderness should we be sticking with a 29 yo battler that’s played 16 weeks of good footy in his career?

I think you’re right there’s others in more trouble than him, but I don’t know if he’ll warrant more than a 1 year deal because he doesn’t as we sit here now.

That has him in the same position as Jarryd Blair post 2016, IMO.

Realistically if we make strides in 2017 it’s unlikely that it’s with him as a best 22 option and alternatively if we struggle after 5 years in the wilderness should we be sticking with a 29 yo battler that’s played 16 weeks of good footy in his career?

I think you’re right there’s others in more trouble than him, but I don’t know if he’ll warrant more than a 1 year deal because he doesn’t as we sit here now.

Agree with the Blair comparison, however I think he's shown he has more areas covered in the modern game than Blair. A one year deal would be preferable from our end, but would have no issues with us offering two as I really don't see it as a big risk for us. If we start talking 3 then there'd be issues.

You need players like Greenwood sitting in the wings to build a reliable Premiership side, he's the kind of player that Adelaide could have really used throughout this year for instance, playing in the SANFL but providing backup when required. If we make finals this year, even with him in the VFL, I actually think it improves his value to the list. If we miss finals by a fair margin (I think getting ~11 wins is a poor but acceptable result, so perhaps 9 wins or less) then as you suggested perhaps we do just get rid of him for whatever he's worth.

Agree with the Blair comparison, however I think he's shown he has more areas covered in the modern game than Blair. A one year deal would be preferable from our end, but would have no issues with us offering two as I really don't see it as a big risk for us. If we start talking 3 then there'd be issues.

You need players like Greenwood sitting in the wings to build a reliable Premiership side, he's the kind of player that Adelaide could have really used throughout this year for instance, playing in the SANFL but providing backup when required. If we make finals this year, even with him in the VFL, I actually think it improves his value to the list. If we miss finals by a fair margin (I think getting ~11 wins is a poor but acceptable result, so perhaps 9 wins or less) then as you suggested perhaps we do just get rid of him for whatever he's worth.

He'll be our new CHF who combines the qualities of our previous 2. Strong overhead and a terrible kick - like Trav. Exceptional effort and undersized for the role - like Blair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back