Delisted Lewis Pierce

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL v Footscray - April 24

13 possies, 6 marks and 2 goals. Included an outside of the right foot snap goal. Some good hit up marks. Played virtually solely forward. I think he'd be more Ruck, relieving Forward, but some reasonable options in the ruck on the list. So with that in mind, he showed a bit.

VFL v Richmond April 30

Lewis Pierce (19 hitouts, 18 disposals, 7 marks, five tackles, three clearances)

“Lewy played one of his best games at VFL level and was one of our better players – he would have been in the votes for sure. Their ruckmen were Elton and Griffiths predominantly, so he’s taken them on, was good on the spread, took some marks and laid a couple of really strong tackles. It was a really well-rounded game, really pleasing for Lewy.”

Named in the best playing primarily forward.

A new contender emerges.

VFL v Pies, May 6

Still going well the boy. Rewarded with inclusion in the 25. Gone past Longer. For good. Sorry Billy fans :D

Lewis Pierce (17 disposals, five marks, four hitouts, three clearances)

“We had Lewy playing the ruck-forward role this week, so when Billy Longer was in the ruck, Lewy would relieve him, but he ended up playing the last quarter in the ruck because Billy was knocked out. He really gave us a lift in the last quarter in the ruck, helped lead us to 6.8 for the quarter with some important clearances. It was a really good game from Lewy.”

I have a theory that this is actually a strategic move to get the best out of Billy, taking nothing away from Lewis.

Lewi has been the better ruckman out of Billy and him of late, so by sending Pierce away with the team it puts yet another rocket up Billy to keep working harder and start performing. It also gives Pierce a rest, and Billy a chance to shine as the #1 ruck in the VFL. Surely Longer is on notice now that there is a strong possibility that Pierce is probably working harder than him and potentially moving ahead of him (at least for now) in the pecking order.

I get the feeling that Billy isn't getting the best out of himself, based on the stigma that he is a little bit lazy - hopefully I am wrong and he is just struggling after his injury but I hope he doesn't become one of those talented footballers who never get the best out of themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wether its total ass, genius or whatever our ruck stocks will be starting to look very appetising for teams who dont have one.

Yeah. We have gone from a club that always struggled with any sort of ruck depth to one with too many to choose from. Nice position to find ourselves in

Hickey was extremely proppy late against the Roos; would be a desperate shame if he missed considering the form he's in and the fact that he finally seems to have his body right.

That being said, it'd be great experience for Lewy to endure a hostile crowd and get a run in a game with no pressure. No one expects us to win this one.

image.jpeg

Doesn't look like a baby giraffe anymore either...

Last edited:
Met Lewis him at a Saints club function at the start of the 2013 season where we had a few players doing the rounds chatting to members. Remember the wife and I being really impressed with this mature young kid who had the confidence to just walk up to members, introduce himself and make conversation whilst a few of the others kind of hung about at the back awkwardly - at that age he was clearly already leading by example when asked to do something by the club.

He seemed really mature and a nice kid at the time and since then we've always had a soft spot for him and hoped he'd get a run. So good luck to the lad if he gets his chance this weekend and if not, hope it happens soon.

Hope Pierce and Hickey play and we see Pierce resting up forward and Roo continuing to run all over the ground.
I suspect that isn't going to be the case, and he's there just as backup for if Hickey can't play. But it IS a very interesting point. It allows Riewoldt to play as a midfielder, as you said. But it also allows Bruce to play 100% as our main full-forward. It'd probably be a bit too tall, especially if Paddy comes in too. But hey, a good point for us to discuss. :)

HF: Membrey - Bruce - Pierce
FF: Lonie - McCartin - Sinclair

Im another who would love to see him play this week! His game with Sandi is improving each week he looks like he has become the forward ruckman we are screaming out for. Appears a lot stronger in the upper body and can now hold his own against the big boys, is good at ground level and hos mobility I also much improved.

Time to play him AR and be flexible, if Kennedy gets off the chain move Bruce down back. That is one of Clarkson greatest assets as a coach he isnt frightened to move players about to help with team match-ups, eg OBrien from CHF to BP, Roughead from FF to RR to CHB. Hodge BF to mid to HF plus numerous other examples.

Similarly to Burgoyne I think AR should use Webster to give chop outs thru the midfield. More rotations thru middle the evenly spread the workload the harder we are to stop!

I suspect that isn't going to be the case, and he's there just as backup for if Hickey can't play. But it IS a very interesting point. It allows Riewoldt to play as a midfielder, as you said. But it also allows Bruce to play 100% as our main full-forward. It'd probably be a bit too tall, especially if Paddy comes in too. But hey, a good point for us to discuss. :)

HF: Membrey - Bruce - Pierce
FF: Lonie - McCartin - Sinclair

You can always have Sinclair go through the midfield in patches as well. Not to mention rotating on the bench so we're not too top heavy (not having Bruce, McCartin and Pierce all out at once) and as for Membrey, he's agile and fast enough to not be any kind of liability. Plus it could ease the pressure on Hickey a bit if Lewy does stuff around the boundary line of our forward half of the ground.

VFL - May 22 v Werribee

Lewis Pierce (23 hitouts, 11 disposals, five marks, 1.3)

“Lewy started forward and then moved into the ruck. He split his time 60 per cent forward, 40 per cent back. He had 23 hitouts and his follow up was really good he got used around the ground. He provided contests in the air and his bodywork in the ruck was really good, he used his body really well. He went forward and made an influence, taking three contested marks and having four shots on goal.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back