Delisted Lewis Pierce

Remove this Banner Ad

They way he improved last season was amazing. I had written him off as others did at the start of last season . In fact no one wanted to be his advocate last year so I did it as an extra . Very quickly his form just took off . If you had of said at the start of last season that Pierce would be eventually picked as first ruck later on during the season we all would have laughed and joked about how many injuries we must have . But that game he went up against the drug cheats ruckman and beat him just shows how far he had come .

Now the pressure is on as people are going to expect him to improve even further . I hope he can make it as a ruckman .

Go Saints

Well here is my first post being Lewis's player advocate so don't be too harsh .
From reports posted on here from people able to attend training the Big Lew is ticking over nicely doing all the seasons which will hold him in good stead to take the top job at least for the early part of the season, This season is going to be even more cut throat than last year in regards to the ruck position with it turning out to be a Three way battle of Lewis , Billy and Marshall .
Some will say Marshall is not in competition with the other Two but i disagree big time , with all our big forwards fit and Max coming through we are not going to be able to play Two rucks , ie Billy and Marsh or Lewis and Marsh .
With a bit more confidence and a strong pre seaon i'm hoping Lewie can get around the ground a bit more and use his marking power to further push his case as being our number one ruck , i have seen him put on marking clinics at VFL level so he can do it , its just about doing it week in week out

Don’t worry about what anyone else thinks . Just call it as you see it . If you think he deserves to be in the side then say so , no doubt someone will be saying Longer deserves the spot anyway . Be strong and support Lewis when ever you can . Hopefully he will have a great season which will make your life easier. It is great to see how far he’s come and let’s hope he continues to shine .

Go Saints

I had a good look at the big boy during the interclub and he looks like he he boosted his running capacity this year , he performed quiet well in the ruck in the one on one contests but now the rules have changed where you can take the ball out of the air i think Lewis needs to use his strength a bit more and take a few out the air instead of tapping every ball up or throw in , Marshall did it a few times and it worked quiet well for him

Well the boy just cant take a trick ATM , gets his chance and gets a head knock , no doubt they will rest him next weeks so now its a race between him and Marshall as to who plays round 1

It is with deep regret that i have to hand in my Player Advocate cape , i feel i can no longer do Lewis justice in his pursuit of excellency , i want to thank Lewis for putting up with Captain Grump and wish him all the best for the future
Regards
Risky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately for Lewis , just as he got his big chance at a career as a ruckman in the first game of the year he got concussed early and never recovered to play again . He has now been delisted but i think he would have retired anyway . To go through the entire season not being able to play because of concussion must have been soul destroying for the young kid . He joins Billy Longer and possibly Paddy McCartin as three Saints players who might have to give the game away this year . Plus we had Koby Stevens retire due to concussion last year . The concussion gods have not been on our side over the past couple years.

MPNFL: Mt Eliza’s Lewis Pierce retires from football due to concussion issues
Another concussion while playing for Mt Eliza in the MPNFL has forced a former St Kilda player to call time on his football career.

Simon McEvoy

Lewis Pierce of the Saints (left) and Todd Goldstein of the Kangaroos contest the ruck during the Round 23 AFL match in 2018. Picture: Hamish Blair

Lewis Pierce of the Saints (left) and Todd Goldstein of the Kangaroos contest the ruck during the Round 23 AFL match in 2018. Picture: Hamish Blair

He says he’s “bitterly disappointed” to retire from football at the age of 26.
But for Lewis Pierce, there was no other choice.
The ex-AFL Saint sustained another concussion while playing with Mt Eliza in May.
He was injured in a tackle against Sorrento, an incident he has no memory of.
Pierce missed almost the entire 2019 season with St Kilda due to concussion issues and now they’ve caused him to hang up the boots.
“I got a concussion against Sorrento and it’s left me in a position after chatting with the doctor that I had to seriously consider retiring,” he said.
“At this point I can’t see myself playing again.
“I’m going to say I’ve retired. Someone would have to do a very good job of convincing me to return.”
Lewis Pierce (right) playing for Mt Eliza against Frankston Bombers in April. Picture: Valeriu Campan

Lewis Pierce (right) playing for Mt Eliza against Frankston Bombers in April. Picture: Valeriu Campan

Pierce had been in superb form for the Redlegs before the round four incident.
He’d strung together virtually three best-afield performances in an impressive return to his home club after seven years at St Kilda.
“I came back to my old junior club hoping to assist in a bright season and see some real success and just enjoy my footy and have a bit of fun,’’ he said.
“But unfortunately I’ve got to take care of myself at the end of the day and I’ve got a lot of life to live.
“It is a sad situation for me but the club’s in a good spot and they’ve got some good young players.
“I don’t want to take away any attention from how well the club’s going.”
Pierce said he doesn’t remember the Sorrento head knock.
“When I came to, or got my bearings, I remember it was the (umpire’s) whistle that caught my attention and I heard like, ‘dangerous tackle’,’’ he said.
“I ran around for a bit and went, yeah, I’m no good and went off.
“So that’s unfortunately the situation.”
Lewis Pierce cools down during his Saints days. Pic: Michael Klein

Lewis Pierce cools down during his Saints days. Pic: Michael Klein

Pierce was drafted by St Kilda in 2012 and played five AFL games.
He’s proud to have reached the top level.
“My career has come full circle and you want to end things on a high but I returned to where I started so that was a positive,” he said.
“Hopefully I had a positive impact on the club while I was playing and the community I’ve grown up in.
“I reached the goal that everyone’s after. A lot of memories that I’ll never forget, a lot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears.
“It’s a strange feeling looking back now because I have retired. It is a very weird feeling and I guess making that decision to let go took a couple of weeks because it is a hard thing to commit to, especially when 10 plus years of my life has been playing footy.”
Pierce said he’s disappointed he can’t be a part of Mt Eliza’s push for a premiership this season but he will be cheering the Redlegs on.
“I want them to do well,” he said.

“The exciting thing is there are some really good young players at the club and hopefully the league will start to take notice.”
Pierce said young tall Max Mournay had a big future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back