Past Lewis Taylor - delisted 2022

MvfWMjOy.jpg

Lewis Taylor

Player Profile

A three-way trade with the Brisbane Lions and Carlton enabled the Sydney Swans to land Lewis Taylor during the 2019 Telstra AFL period. What the deal secured was a young, speedy, stocky small forward who had booted 88 goals in 112 AFL games in Brisbane colours. The Lions recruited Taylor from the Geelong Falcons with pick 28 at the 2013 AFL Draft and he fired from the get-go, playing all 22 senior games en route to claiming the 2014 AFL Rising Star award. The new Swan is expected to contend with names like Ben Ronke, Sam Gray and Sam Wicks for a spot in Sydney’s forward line in 2020, although coach John Longmire could instead use him on a wing.

Lewis Taylor

DOB:17 February 1995
DEBUT:2015
DRAFT:2019
RECRUITED FROM: Brisbane Lions

Last edited:

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Taylor is in an odd situation as I think we got him as a replacement for Papley but we ended up keeping Papley, so I am not entirely sure what Taylor’s role is going to be.
I see him more as a Jones replacement
I'm more of the opinion that he will be used mainly as a small forward and Papley will forego that role in order to spend the majority of his game time as an outside mid. I feel he is our best clearance player.

Former Lion Lewis Taylor, who was secured through the trade period will wear the number 28 jumper formerly worn by Swans Team of the Century member Mark Tandy

big_bazza

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2005
Tas
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
sydney swans
The New Jared Crouch, Man i miss that guy running around annoying the s**t outta the oppositions star players, especially Aker. Back on topic I see Lewy's best role as a wingman/high half forward. Im not sure why people think he plays as a small forward, to my knowledge he was never a ;Papley' type was he or am i missing something ?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I'm more of the opinion that he will be used mainly as a small forward and Papley will forego that role in order to spend the majority of his game time as an outside mid. I feel he is our best clearance player.

On the other Swans site people have training noted that Taylor was training with the midfield group and Grey with the forward group.

Don’t totally disagree on Papley however, I think he is a very good clearance player but in my mind more inside. There was a game early last year where he played predominantly midfield and he kept getting first hands on the ball at stoppages (finished with 8 clearances from memory).

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
On the other Swans site people have training noted that Taylor was training with the midfield group and Grey with the forward group.

Don’t totally disagree on Papley however, I think he is a very good clearance player but in my mind more inside. There was a game early last year where he played predominantly midfield and he kept getting first hands on the ball at stoppages (finished with 8 clearances from memory).
Didn't Longmire say that Grey and Ronke would be competing for the one spot? Great depth this year. It's a shame we can't fit everyone in.

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
The New Jared Crouch, Man i miss that guy running around annoying the s**t outta the oppositions star players, especially Aker. Back on topic I see Lewy's best role as a wingman/high half forward. Im not sure why people think he plays as a small forward, to my knowledge he was never a ;Papley' type was he or am i missing something ?
Let's hope he's just as resilient.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Actually should've been playing instead of Bell on Saturday, far superior player who Longmire has put a red line through for no apparent reason

He is bloody ordinary, that’s why he has a line through him. Plenty of exposed form at AFL level and found wanting.

Probably should be ahead of Bell (won’t argue that point) as I don’t rate him either. I’d have neither on my list going forward if given the option.

Taylor showed 1 or 2 good moments in red and white but rocking up seemingly unfit to a new club is a bad, bad look. Easily could have been in contention with Stephens, Bell, Ronke and an injured Warner for that half forward role but wasn't

He has 1 year to change that but otherwise who went at pick 48? Couldn't have been worse

I will never forget that David King campaigned for him hard across all of his platforms to win Rising Star ahead of Bontempelli and then was revealed to have bet on Taylor to win. Bont should have won and history would have looked better for it.

I will never forget that David King campaigned for him hard across all of his platforms to win Rising Star ahead of Bontempelli and then was revealed to have bet on Taylor to win. Bont should have won and history would have looked better for it.
Who cares about 2014, though?

The real question is who do we think will have the better 2022? 🤔

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
Whats happening with Taylor? Had a fairly decent season playing vfl.
Can't fault his effort and commitment, generally up there in the bests at reserves level. Just not been good enough in past opportunities to warrant senior selection. I'd imagine we delist him this year. Happily have him as a VFL signing.

Back