Traded Lewis Taylor [traded to Sydney for #48]

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be ironic if we got him considering we gave Brisbane Pick 28 for Elliot Yeo and they used it to draft Lewis Taylor.

It would be sort of ironic if we wanted him in the 2013 draft and Brisbane having negotiated for pick 28 over pick 31 then took him 3 spots ahead of us only to trade him to us down the track... even better if it was for Malcolm Karpany (pick 31, since delisted).

I definitely think he has what we lack. I’d be keen for sure if he didn’t cost a heap at the trade table. Would be a handy fringe outside mid who would no doubt get some games.

What might he be worth? Pick in the 40s?

What does he have that we lack? He's not the worst player on an AFL list but he's not tall, not quick, not a long kick, doesn't kick a huge amount of goals, doesn't tackle a lot, isn't a clearance winner...

So far it looks like we have Masten and Rioli out for 2020. Taylor isn't an upgrade on either. Outside our semi final 22 we had Jarrod Cameron, Oscar Allen, Liam Duggan, Tom Cole, Dan Venables, Josh Rotham, Francis Watson, Jarrod Brander who all played this season.

If we get Tim Kelly then great he comes in. If not then I'd just be playing Petruccelle on the wing where he can use his pace and Allen/Cameron up forward. I don't see an obvious spot for Taylor.

What does he have that we lack? He's not the worst player on an AFL list but he's not tall, not quick, not a long kick, doesn't kick a huge amount of goals, doesn't tackle a lot, isn't a clearance winner...

So far it looks like we have Masten and Rioli out for 2020. Taylor isn't an upgrade on either. Outside our semi final 22 we had Jarrod Cameron, Oscar Allen, Liam Duggan, Tom Cole, Dan Venables, Josh Rotham, Francis Watson, Jarrod Brander who all played this season.

If we get Tim Kelly then great he comes in. If not then I'd just be playing Petruccelle on the wing where he can use his pace and Allen/Cameron up forward. I don't see an obvious spot for Taylor.

I see him as immediate depth when can play wing. Smith is probably our second best wing. Althing I agree we can shoehorn someone else in there.

This is incorrect. At his best he bursts through lines and is extremely damaging and creative with his disposal. His problem is consistency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I definitely think he has what we lack. I’d be keen for sure if he didn’t cost a heap at the trade table. Would be a handy fringe outside mid who would no doubt get some games.

What might he be worth? Pick in the 40s?

Willie will miss half or all of 2020.

Someone needs to take the wing spot / rotate through there now Masten has moved on.

So that's two players and two roles we need to fill in 2020, who will do it? Gaff back to the wing is one answer.

Cripps, Ryan and Cameron cover the small forward spots but players get injured so you need four decent options there to cover injury and form.

If we do land Kelly then 2020 we are a big chance for top 4 and a crack at a flag so we don't want 18/19 years olds with less than 20 games playing important roles.

If he cost a 3rd or 4th he's worth having a chat with. Feel other clubs will offer more $$ though.

I'll try to sum up Taylor's strengths and weaknesses

Strengths:
- clever and creative ball user
- good off both feet
- evasive
- runs hard offensively
- clean hands
- composed
- finds space and links up play well

Weaknesses:
- not overly quick for a player his size
- struggles 1 on 1
- can't stick tackles
- poor defensively
- kicking lacks penetration
- isn't versatile
- lacks contested ball winning

Would be good for a team that needs a playmaker type.

Last edited:
Huh?

This is very misleading. How often have you seen Lewy blast clear of someone? He can't keep top speed for long so he ends up running in a circle or trying to evade. He really isn't that quick.

Put him next to Charlie Cameron in a gameday situation and Charlie will make an absolute mockery out of that article.

Lewy can rest in the F50 as a small forward in short bursts(does not apply enough pressure for that to be his permanent role) but his primary role is as a gut running winger who works his backside off to provide options out of our D50 and has pretty good disposal.

I would prefer to keep him than move him on for a speculative very late 2nd round draft pick at best, we had a magnificent run with injury this year, without that Lewy would have been one of the first ones called in to the seniors.

Errr, pretty much his whole game is based on his speed, agility and capacity to break lines.

He is not Charlie Cameron elite level fast, but he is one of the quickest players in the senior team.
Disagree with that. Yes he's very agile and has good acceleration, but I think close to half our list would keep up with him im a foot race.

I think Essendon should give him a go.

If Fantasia leaves as expected, he would be a decent replacement. Same type of player, and Essendon's quick game plan would probably suit him.

What lets Lewy down in the Lions system is his inability to tackle. Our gameplan relies heavily on forward half pressure, which he cannot provide. Guys like McCarthy, Rayner, Cameron, Zorko, Robinson and Christensen are all good pressure players and are keeping him out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back