List Mgmt. Lewis Young extends

You mean like Nathan Mullenger-McHugh, it's a dog eat dog business if you can get an extra two years
you take it don't you. If you are not best 22 this is the reality of football extend when ever you can.
There are a lot of skeletons in the closet when it comes to list management we have a possible rising
star in Sydney Stack who was not even drafted technically.

guess what - we have 22 21 players on our list who are not best 22

what are you suggesting - we turn over half our list every year? maybe we could have drafted all the rising stars if we did that

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
guess what - we have 22 21 players on our list who are not best 22

what are you suggesting - we turn over half our list every year? maybe we could have drafted all the rising stars if we did that
Do you have a list of the players who have gone since Luke Beveridge took over sure some have
retired, but it's a long list repeated at every AFL club. If you are not in the best 28 to 30 odd
players it is a survival industry where you are forgotten quickly. Every club is the same mate
every club has developing talent that is not ready and needs luck drive and continuity to survive.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He has been given a high number, perhaps indicating that they thought he would progress faster than he has.

But I think another couple of years building his game at our club is a good move. Could be anything and it's not like he would break the bank, anyway.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
I always thought the club would be keen to keep him but wondered if he’d be frustrated by the lack of opportunity. This is a thumbs up to our coaches and culture in that he sees a future here.
Yeah thought the same too. I know he will make it and become good, but was worried the lack of senior games would deter, listening to his interview tells me he knows why it's being done.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Young reminds me a lot of Wood in terms of strengths and weaknesses. Highly athletic and a good overhead, if he is allowed to run around the backline at will and get a free jump in aerial contests he is going to look a million bucks.

Said in his resign video he is going to be a defender and that they are playing him in the ruck occasionally so he can get better around the ball in congestion.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good news but I still see him as a second or third defender only, as is Cordy. In my opinion we're still missing a true key position full back and this is a problem we need to solve moving forward.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good news but I still see him as a second or third defender only, as is Cordy. In my opinion we're still missing a true key position full back and this is a problem we need to solve moving forward.
Spot on, ideally Young takes woods spot going forward, Cordy more than capable on most 2nd forward types, lachie young and Crozier to help out aerially but still keep a big focus on offense just need that big bodied defender to keep the number 1 forwards honest

adegrub21

All Australian
Sep 25, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Spot on, ideally Young takes woods spot going forward, Cordy more than capable on most 2nd forward types, lachie young and Crozier to help out aerially but still keep a big focus on offense just need that big bodied defender to keep the number 1 forwards honest
I dunno. He's 197 and 20 years old. He's still growing into his body. Go back and have a look at the photos of Moz when he was running out alongside Chris Grant. The term "bag of bones" comes to mind but now Moz is a bloody beast.

SharkMeister4

Senior List
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
was stoked to see this this morning. Showed so much in his first season, has great potential and plenty of time to grow into it all. Will inherit Woods spot in the backline when that time comes, just taller which in defence is great to have

CDBulldog

All Australian
Mar 31, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Very happy with this. Put on A few kgs last pre season and a few (4-5) more next will see him enter beast territory. Has a really good frame to add muscle. He’s athletic and a good mark. Has the attributes to be a good defender. Just needs experience and another season or 2 learning from Moz/Wood. Hang tight, I’m expecting him to be a monster defender in 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Back