Traded Lewis Young [trade to Carlton in three-way trade for #52]

Remove this Banner Ad

What is his trade value as an uncontracted fringe player?

Will our 4th rounder (currently #64) get it done?
Noting we don't have a current 3rd rounder, and WB need points for Darcy.

(Yes, i know pick 64 is f all points overall, but its all we got)
Ideally we'd try get slightly more. Once you've done the Cerra trade, you may get a late pick back that you can add to any Young trade, even if we had to send a future 4th your way.

Realistically, he's not worth much more than an early 4th at best.

I don't think he's a natural ruckman. He's played decent games as an intercepting defender but still needs to learn how to lock his opponent down. Only 22 so still a baby in development terms. Has played forward as well but wouldn't be the main man in the F50.

His best position is probably an intercepting defender that can plug some holes when necessary. I’d like to keep him on the list at cheap depth for a couple of positions but to me he lacks a few important qualities that will ever prevent him from becoming a regular best 22 player.

The talk has been that we are after Chol but I'd prefer Young given the asking price probably wouldn't be too large
Chol is a FA though, he'd only cost you cap.

Lewie seems the perfect depth option for us who can plug a hole anywhere even though he's not best 22. I'd want to keep him but can understand if a club came knocking.

Was tracking as a really good kpd from memory is that his best position? Or have I got the wrong player?

KPD but isnt a smart footballer. Is a great intercept mark but positionally just gets lost and we play a solid zone.

Has talent and one that I wouldnt like to lose as he can fill a role as a ruck/forward/defender.

Young was a key forward as a junior that dogs trained as a key defender because of his ability to read the ball. He has however played in all 3 areas in both AFL & VFL. His Kicking is his biggest weakness. Especially in front of Goal.

One analysis suggested he infringed 7 times in the ruck centre circle against Brisbane. Fair to say he hasn't really learned to ruck properly yet. More of a key position player.
True, but he hasn't spent much time there (he did play a few games at CHF/2nd ruck at VFL level a couple of years ago).
I think he's useful depth but we'll bring in a ruck at trade time who will instantly move ahead of him in the ruck pecking order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dropped for stef Martin
Track watchers mentioned he hardly trained this week. Surprised he wasn't named as injured rather than omitted.

Is he a chance of being delisted by the dogs? I thought he looked very good on debut but that's 5 years ago now and he has treaded water, if not gone backwards since. Still pretty young but haven't seen much this season that suggests he'll turn into a quality AFL player, and can I say he's a tad soft?

Is he a chance of being delisted by the dogs? I thought he looked very good on debut but that's 5 years ago now and he has treaded water, if not gone backwards since. Still pretty young but haven't seen much this season that suggests he'll turn into a quality AFL player, and can I say he's a tad soft?

With our KPD stocks we'd be in gaga land to delist any of our potential KPD players

No chance. I'm indifferent as to whether we keep him, but no way would we delist given our poor KPD stocks and his potential upside

Fair, just weird he hasn't re-signed yet. He sure as hell isn't a ruck that's for sure.

Not a ruck, a good intercepting defender and that's about it. He needs more development time and to be able to string some games together in that position instead of being shifted literally everywhere on the ground.

I believe the club will move him to the rookie list.

Another club would offer him a senior list spot

in that case he’d go
If that's the case he'll go but there hasn't been any word of interest at the moment. Dogs may probably find a way to keep him on the senior list if Wallis, Martin & Lipinski are moved off the list.

Another club would offer him a senior list spot

in that case he’d go
You do realise that you can get paid the same on the rookie list as on the senior list?
Only difference from a club perspective is that a portion of a rookies salary can be outside the cap.
If anything, it’s a benefit him staying as a rookie, could be paid more, without it affecting the TPP

Yes I’m aware

He’s currently on the senior list so he would have to get delisted then relisted come rookie draft as you can no longer just automatically move to rookie list anymore

another club could pounce first

also more to my point is he would know he’s clearly more valued elsewhere and would choose to go
Not anymore. You can shift him without delisting arnd re rookieing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back