LG or Song OLED

Remove this Banner Ad

mike91

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Getting a new t.v and trying to decide between the LG GX or the Sony A9G (65).

I'm useless when it comes to technology, but I love the look of both. I'm aware LG is far superior when it comes to gaming. I like to game, but nothing full on, not even the main titles either.

Main purposes would be - Sport, Netflix, General Viewing and PS4.

Which t.v. would be better for sport?
Which would be better for Netflix?

Thanks in advance legends!

ESKIE

Keeping it Cool.
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m in the market for a new TV as well.
55” QLED or OLED....what ever is good for general viewing, sport, on demand TV ie Netflix, IView. SBS not into gaming
any input is gratefully accepted, thanks

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Bought a CX last night (essentially the same as GX which is designed for wall mounting and has a little more beef in the sound department; you're paying +$500 for side HDMI ports + 20 extra watts of audio). Inscrutable assembly instructions that had me looking up YouTube videos to clarify, and at the end of it all the bastard wouldn't switch on. Calling the support line tomorrow but I fear the worst. I wanted another Panasonic but they recently bailed out of Australia, and all stock had been gobbled up. LG has never been one of my brands and won't ever be again unless the phone tech really knows his stuff!

I've got three smaller Sonys but the last one I bought was underpowered, rendering e.g. the inbuilt Plex app useless for high-res wireless transfer. I get the feeling you're paying for the Android apps with Sony, whereas LG is more barebones in the app department. The only other quality alternative is Samsung with its QLED technology, which is not quite a match for OLED.

There's a ratings system at the bottom of this page https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

Mostly previous years' models, but picture/sound quality has not changed much across the board in the 2020 models.

Last edited:

ESKIE

Keeping it Cool.
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I purchased an LG OLED BX 55” yesterday and working fine, SBS app need to be updated as slightly buggy need to fiddle with settings to familiarise Set up was easy, hardest part was attaching the stand. Has an amazing picture quality, this is a massive improvement For us from the cheap soniq we had so very happy....

hope yours gets sorted out Ron

Last edited:

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Set up an online chat session and was quickly advised a tech would need to visit (or I could return the unit to place of purchase. Advised that the panel was too large, heavy and thin for me to manage this myself without damage to the panel. I'd be very concerned that it would snap).

Tech will call "within 48 business hours", so instead of getting to grips with my new TV's features over the long weekend, it'll be Tuesday/Wednesday before I even have an appointment scheduled. "If you don't hear from them, give them a call and remind them about the appointment"... first world problem I know, but I'd read comments about LG's outstanding customer service and this falls short of expectations. I had kinda hoped they'd deliver a new one and take this unit away. Not impressed at paying $4K for a TV and beginning with a refurbed unit.

ESKIE

Keeping it Cool.
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Well that’s very disappointing Ron, surely a swap at place of purchase would be a better solution

I’m going to have a play with ours soon, gotta get my chores done first 🙂

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Well that’s very disappointing Ron, surely a swap at place of purchase would be a better solution
Could possibly wheel it down on a hand trolley but again, I’d be concerned that the sheer weight of it would cause it to snap (think the panel alone is 23kg). I’ve got a nasty scar on the inside of the elbow from a large glass panel snapping and never forgot the lesson.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't want to turn this into a service thread, but I shot Harvey Norman an email yesterday to let them know what was going on just in case e.g. the repairman couldn't fix the TV and it had to go back.

A HN rep called me unsolicited and offered to deliver a new TV on Tuesday (drivers not working until then), which is what I'd hoped for from LG. I don't normally shop at HN but am pleased with their service level. Service from LG wasn't exactly bad, but rather perfunctory in a "take a number" fashion.

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
I've been looking at upgrading a 4k TV (LOL)

This model seems okay for gaming and everything else.

Does anyone recommend anything in the 48-50inch range?

Remove this Banner Ad