Politics LGTBQIA+ community

Remove this Banner Ad

To me, this is a function of some of the overly simplistic ideology on both sides of politics. Anything taken to its extreme will seem ridiculous.

There is a need to balance the rights of the all female yoga class members against the rights of this non-binary 6"4 bearded person to self-expression. Common sense and basic etiquette would say that the non-binary person should just attend another yoga class and not inconvenience everyone. Nothing is being gained for civil rights by making a scene (if, as the OP says, it isn't a troll).

If that person got fired from their job for refusing to state their gender (despite being competent), however, it would then be a completely different story. It would be silly to bang the drum about the other employees' and the employer's rights to self-determination, given the disproportional impact it would have on that person's rights to employment and participation in society.

The problem is that the extremes on both sides seem to control the debates these days, which leaves us with these ridiculous situations with one or more persons failing to exercise basic judgment.

Last edited:

Why are there so many numbers, letters and symbols assigned to the 1 group who apparently want equality? Seems to me they are strengthening their numbers to promote their own agenda

What agenda is that? Awareness of their existence? Freedom from persecution? Equal rights?

They all have to hide under the one banner even though they are different. Why not identify as what you are under its own stand alone title? Seems like a gang mentality

More like a siege mentality, which tends to happen when many of those elements have faced various kinds of persecution throughout the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it funny how the I's and T's just get lumped in with the L's and G's. Those terms aren't even like for like. The term LGBTQIA just throws sexual preferences, a psychological condition and a type of birth defect in the one basket. A gay person has no idea more of an idea what it's like to be intersex or transexual than a straight person does.

I find it funny how the I's and T's just get lumped in with the L's and G's. Those terms aren't even like for like. The term LGBTQIA just throws sexual preferences, a psychological condition and a type of birth defect in the one basket. A gay person has no idea more of an idea what it's like to be intersex or transexual than a straight person does.
I tend to agree. If they're gonna be bundled into one package based on discrimination, perhaps indigenous Australians should be included.

And yet they have faced similar measures of persecution in thoughout history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet they have faced similar measures of persecution in thoughout history.

Many of the tactics that are used to by those who wish to delegitimise or disempower trans people are exactly the same ones used to attack gay people twenty or thirty years ago. We're kind of like consultants, and given that the gay rights movement is one of the most successful in history, why wouldn't you look to us for a few hints on winning.

Many of the tactics that are used to by those who wish to delegitimise or disempower trans people are exactly the same ones used to attack gay people twenty or thirty years ago. We're kind of like consultants, and given that the gay rights movement is one of the most successful in history, why wouldn't you look to us for a few hints on winning.
So much winning that you have to keep 'recruiting' from the abnormal spectrum of society. I guess the more letters you add, the better the news for the original letters. They don't seem as abonormal now

So much winning that you have to keep 'recruiting' from the abnormal spectrum of society. I guess the more letters you add, the better the news for the original letters. They don't seem as abonormal now

If you think they're abnormal do you consider it fair to treat them as such?

It used to be the gays that were abnormal, now it's the trans people. We're not seeing anything new here.
At the end of the day, humans are just part of the animal world. Are there any examples in nature of species thriving and remaining by turning to one of the letters under the alphabet of acceptance?

At the end of the day, humans are just part of the animal world. Are there any examples in nature of species thriving and remaining by turning to one of the letters under the alphabet of acceptance?
Are there examples of animals thriving who spend all their days whining on big footy?

Must not be any animals you can link to
Was just relating your question back...
Can you give us examples of these animals that whinge on bigfooty?

So it's a persecution community?

It's a community that as a collective has a lot in common - from being told they're abnormal, to being ostracised by their loved ones, to being told they can't get married. Oh yeah, and refusal of service in some shops too. So in that sense yes, they are a persecuted community.

Every group has been persecuted through history. Some get over it, others whinge about it.

There is very little evidence that the remainder of the acronym have suffered persecution.

What is Q? If it isn't part of GLB what does it mean, and how does it earn persecuted status?

What does persecution mean? Systematic deprivation of liberty by the state or a bit of bullying at high school?

Why should we care about the latter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back