Recommitted Liam Baker [triggered an extension until 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

WA boy out of contract at years end.
Would have to be a chance to go home or even to any other team willing to give him a pay day as an attacking hbf

I’d expect him to be one of many underpaid Tigers.

Underpaid probably, but its the wishful thinking by a supporter of another club. Not going anywhere soon.

There should be plenty of money to upgrade his contract with Houli, Riewoldt retiring and Rance coming off the books.

Also, given the club was in talks with crouch this offseason has to be an indication that we have some reasonable coin available.

There should be plenty of money to upgrade his contract with Houli, Riewoldt retiring and Rance coming off the books.

Also, given the club was in talks with crouch this offseason has to be an indication that we have some reasonable coin available.

Professional list management by old hands like Neil Balme plus the Benny Gale team. :thumbsu:

Fair but also a few young guys out of contract, Bolton, Balta, Baker, Vlastuin etc that would all be demanding a lot more now then 2-3 years ago

That’s not necessarily true at all.

You have no idea whether Baker feels compelled to return home at any stage through his career.
And you have no idea that it doesn’t at any stage

but he’s out of contract so we hypothesise until a contract is signed

And you have no idea that it doesn’t at any stage

but he’s out of contract so we hypothesise until a contract is signed

I never said it wasn't, but you've been definitive that it is despite having absolutely nothing to support the claim.

"Home is a lure for everyone" is just not correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only thing wrong is your statement

shall we keep going in circles?

What you said was incorrect in the first instance - not everyone wants to return home to some extent. There are plenty who move elsewhere, settle there and don't entertain moving back to their original state.

'Home' is also open to interpretation, and isn't necessarily their state of origin. Baker has been in Melbourne since he was a teenager, and has now been a part of two premierships with the Tigers. There's every chance he now considers Melbourne his home.

I'd say he is more likely to leave for money, and given his improvement over the past 12 months I think they will be plenty of teams willing to give him a payrise and some extra on field responsibility.

Played his last season as a teenager at Subi.

WA kids who have been at boarding school are less prone to home sickness & jump at returning home at the first opportunity.

He got drafted and started living in Melbourne when he was 19.

Where are these scores of ex WA kids returning home at the first opportunity?

Mitchell and O'Meara certainly didn't want a bar of Perth.

Blues fans are sensitive .... will Patrick Cripps go home.

It's West Coast supporters who are strangely twitchy.

I guess they're up against it with only two established stars in the past two decades wanting to return to WA, but you never know.

He got drafted and started living in Melbourne when he was 19.

Where are these scores of ex WA kids returning home at the first opportunity?

Mitchell and O'Meara certainly didn't want a bar of Perth.

It's West Coast supporters who are strangely twitchy.

I guess they're up against it with only two established stars in the past two decades wanting to return to WA, but you never know.

As a West Coast supporter with Subi roots & living in Vic (by choice), I think of guys like Mike Fitzpatrick or the South Melbourne 'foreign legion' of the late 1920s, even my own choices.

I think of Tyson Stenglein, Subi boy, Crows for 100+ games, drawn home for 2 x Gfs including a flag. now in Melbourne with his own business.

Going home is an alternative for the likes of Patrick Cripps, the family ties of not seeing his kid brother developing (including footy), what he wants to do post footy, then the AFL now considerations, a flag & then money imho. These decisions arent only about money.

As a West Coast supporter with Subi roots & living in Vic (by choice), I think of guys like Mike Fitzpatrick or the South Melbourne 'foreign legion' of the late 1920s, even my own choices.

I think of Tyson Stenglein, Subi boy, Crows for 100+ games, drawn home for 2 x Gfs including a flag. now in Melbourne with his own business.

Going home is an alternative for the likes of Patrick Cripps, the family ties of not seeing his kid brother developing (including footy), what he wants to do post footy, then the AFL now considerations, a flag & then money imho. These decisions arent only about money.

This thread isn’t about Cripps, so there’s no use labouring the point. You can make the exact same post in the corresponding Patrick Cripps thread.

Maybe you’re insecure, but if you’re alluding to Mike Fitzpatrick, B-grader Tyson Stenglein (who was playing at another interstate club), and referring to the 1920’s we can truly see how rarely star players born in WA return.

It’s a genuine aberration.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back