Recommitted Liam Baker [re-signed until 2021]

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Can't blame him really. You've got a ridiculous amount of players who can play that small forward/half forward role.

Seems like a good fit for Carlton...we have a dearth of those kinds of players. We're probably offering more money and a longer term contract than Richmond, and he'd get more opportunity with us. Gets to stay in VIC if that's what he prefers and still play for a traditionally big club that still pulls big crowds (4th largest home team crowds in AFL in 2019) and would be seen as on the rise.
So what would your offer be ? chances are we dont need later picks with our 1st , 2nd,and gold coast 3rd all intact as well as the possible pick for ellis compo
probably an upgrade on 1 of our picks would be about what would get it done.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
So what would your offer be ? chances are we dont need later picks with our 1st , 2nd,and gold coast 3rd all intact as well as the possible pick for ellis compo

I don't think you can expect much for Baker if he's OOC and requesting a trade for more opportunity.

Probably something like our third rounder.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
He should never have been dropped, outside of Bolton, he's our best small forward option to play midfield and super clean at ground level, doesn't waste it, has insane work rate and is tough as nails.

Cant begrudge him wanting more senior opportunity, but would like to see him back himself in for atleast another year or 2.

Wouldnt get much for him sadly but having watched him closely the last 2 years (wanted him in last year) he is worth a pick in the 30's IMO

All that said, we can afford to lose him and Butler as we just have too many of this type.
Mid 30s, bit optimistic?

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Can't blame him really. You've got a ridiculous amount of players who can play that small forward/half forward role.

Seems like a good fit for Carlton...we have a dearth of those kinds of players. We're probably offering more money and a longer term contract than Richmond, and he'd get more opportunity with us. Gets to stay in VIC if that's what he prefers and still play for a traditionally big club that still pulls big crowds (4th largest home team crowds in AFL in 2019) and would be seen as on the rise.

I would blame him. he is only 21 and is getting a game. He should try and fight for a spot at Richmond (flag favorites) instead of taking the easy road.

I was skeptical on Baker given how small he is but he is tidy and skilled player - hope he stays

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Is he still on your rookie list?
I don't think you can ask for anything, maybe a future fourth Rd.

You guys have too many good players. That is essentially the problem.

Side note: would you prefer Lynch, or definitely holding all your fringe players and talents like Baker and Bolton?
Lynch all day.

He’s a star and really embarrassing a lot of nay sayers the past month.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Yep, I can see why Carlton would be interested. Would be a great fit for them. It’s these sorts of rookies and late draft picks Carlton need to get better at drafting for themselves.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Your dealing with Richmond supporters remember , every player on their list is “best 22” but for injuries, form,personal issues,global warming , North Korea etc and worth nothing short of a 1st/2nd rd pick....(depending on how well they played the week b4 of course)

He is keeping Caddy, Mcintosh, Townsend, Batla etc. out of the side currently

talented kids and premiership players. Baker would be a significant lose, more so than Miles, Llyod, Stengle imo.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
He is keeping Caddy, Mcintosh, Townsend, Batla etc. out of the side currently
Is this serious??

So let me get this straight a 173 cm midget who has the “odd” run on the ball is keeping out caddy(a third tall/sometimes 2nd tall (b4 you got lynch )or big bodied mid??, Macintosh the 190+wingman?? and the best of the lot Noah balta, your 197 cm kpd/kpf who is also played back up ruck??... these are the players bakers keeping out???.....

Well clearly I’m totally underselling him then cause if a 173 cm fwd pocket is keeping all these 6’2 plus types then clearly he’s worth nothing short of s top 10 pick!!!????

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Is this serious??

So let me get this straight a 173 cm midget who has the “odd” run on the ball is keeping out caddy(a third tall/sometimes 2nd tall (b4 you got lynch )or big bodied mid??, Macintosh the 190+wingman?? and the best of the lot Noah balta, your 197 cm kpd/kpf who is also played back up ruck??... these are the players bakers keeping out???.....

Well clearly I’m totally underselling him then cause if a 173 cm fwd pocket is keeping all these 6’2 plus types then clearly he’s worth nothing short of s top 10 pick!!!????

iirc Baker isnt playing forward much since he has come into the side; played back

forward line: Riewoldt, Lynch, Bolton (mid too), Rioli (ditto), George, Stack, Lambert, Martin, Chol, Edwards...

yeah - he is pretty much keeping McIntosh out atm. Baker is currently best 22 and Richmond are flag favorites , he should have decent trade value surely

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Is he still on your rookie list?
I don't think you can ask for anything, maybe a future fourth Rd.
Makes no difference if he is on the rookie list and you can ask what you think he is worth, He has a 2 year deal on the table and if he decides to leave the team who has approached him will have to trade. Not sure what the club would ask for but considering they rate him and have offered him a contract i would imagine it would / should be better than 4th

I agree. Has played hbf and done alright recently. would make a decent hb line with newman and him. He has exceptional hands brings a touch of class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Same for most people on this board, whatever the player/club.

But also look at those wanting a player...people keep thinking that their target will be a clear best 22 player for them for years to come, but in the same breath insist they're only worth a late pick that nobody would use.
Whilst agree with your first part and understand where your coming with your second reality is it often doesn’t work out that way.

Plenty of players who end up b22 or as seen as potentially b22 for one club are not at another/original club.
We’re not talking top 10 players or recently highly rated draft picks that clubs would consider untouchables, we’re talking fringe22 players and no matter how much certain fans may rate said player (in this case baker) the reality is that’s not going to change

And if their original club can’t gaurantee them (within reason)of b22 spot it’s a bit remiss of that club to hold the player back from more opportunities elsewhere just because they’d “like” a bit of depth/think he’s worth a few extra spots up the draft ladder

I ll give you just one example from my club(there’s countless others) Hayden crozier.
Was in and out of our side (much like baker) even when we were carp 2016.
Bulldogs were keen and could offer more opportunity(croz was happy to stay ) but acknowledged career wise was better to take the bulldogs offer.

No haggling just traded for a pick in the forties (and he’d shown as much if not more than baker throughout his career)

He’s now a we’ll established member of the bulldogs side vying for finals.
That’s just how these things sometimes work

Not sure if he'll want to go. He's playing AFL and quite likely is happy with that.

If he wants to leave - OK good on him. But the Tigers obviously want him cause they value him. He's a damn good player. So his value is that of a genuine first team top 4 team player. Not a star, but something more than pick 88.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Really like what I have seen lately from Baker, would love him at the Lions, certainly would be a better option than a speculative 2nd round selection at the draft.

Whilst agree with your first part and understand where your coming with your second reality is it often doesn’t work out that way.

Plenty of players who end up b22 or as seen as potentially b22 for one club are not at another/original club.
We’re not talking top 10 players or recently highly rated draft picks that clubs would consider untouchables, we’re talking fringe22 players and no matter how much certain fans may rate said player (in this case baker) the reality is that’s not going to change

And if their original club can’t gaurantee them (within reason)of b22 spot it’s a bit remiss of that club to hold the player back from more opportunities elsewhere just because they’d “like” a bit of depth/think he’s worth a few extra spots up the draft ladder

I ll give you just one example from my club(there’s countless others) Hayden crozier.
Was in and out of our side (much like baker) even when we were carp 2016.
Bulldogs were keen and could offer more opportunity(croz was happy to stay ) but acknowledged career wise was better to take the bulldogs offer.

No haggling just traded for a pick in the forties (and he’d shown as much if not more than baker throughout his career)

He’s now a we’ll established member of the bulldogs side vying for finals.
That’s just how these things sometimes work

Agreed, but it also depends on WHY the player is in and out of the team.

With Baker, it's because he's a young kid who is still developing and has plenty of upside, so may well establish himself.

As opposed to, the likes of Lloyd, or Miles, who was in a similar situation last year, but being older and their situation being clearer (like Crozier), they was allowed to leave for cheap deals, with the support of most Richmond fans. (somewhat grudging in some cases because they were well liked), and we even take pleasure in their success with their new clubs.

If Baker is in a similar situation in 3-4 years (ie, at around the Crozier/Lloyd/Miles age), I dare say most Richmond fans would accept his leaving for a low pick just to help him get where he wants to go....but while he's still got plenty of upside, I don't think it's unreasonable that we want the price to reflect that potential.

We wouldn’t get that for him but that’s where I see his value based on how much I’ve seen of him, what he’s produced at senior level and his potential.

Here's a mid 30's from a draft several years back.
Yes, he would likely go for something later, but if he's something a team wants, then pay it.

It's not always about finding the best possible player, but for the type you need.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Agreed, but it also depends on WHY the player is in and out of the team.

With Baker, it's because he's a young kid who is still developing and has plenty of upside, so may well establish himself.

As opposed to, the likes of Lloyd, or Miles, who was in a similar situation last year, but being older and their situation being clearer (like Crozier), they was allowed to leave for cheap deals, with the support of most Richmond fans. (somewhat grudging in some cases because they were well liked), and we even take pleasure in their success with their new clubs.

If Baker is in a similar situation in 3-4 years (ie, at around the Crozier/Lloyd/Miles age), I dare say most Richmond fans would accept his leaving for a low pick just to help him get where he wants to go....but while he's still got plenty of upside, I don't think it's unreasonable that we want the price to reflect that potential.
He is on your rookie list, if he don't extend his contract isn't it automatically delist.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep, I can see why Carlton would be interested. Would be a great fit for them. It’s these sorts of rookies and late draft picks Carlton need to get better at drafting for themselves.
With Gibbons ( taken as a replacement rookie) stepping up in the last month I don't think Baker who is not big goal kicker is a priority. Play a similar role.

He is on your rookie list, if he don't extend his contract isn't it automatically delist.

If any player on any list doesn't extend their contract they're automatically delisted.

Rookie list means almost nothing these days. The only real difference is that their contracts are only 1 year.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Bahaha look at all the lions fans 1 good year in how long and they turn into Billy big bollocks 😂 have u seen the kid play? Gets kicks averages 17 possessions in a team sitting 5th fair to say he would be a great pick up for 90% of teams

Brisbane are last years Melbourne wouldn't surprise me if they have a poor year in 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back