Delisted Liam Dawson (2014-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reserves Wrap - Southport - 05/03/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Dawso played off half back, he took about three or four marks from opposition on the weekend, which is a strength of Liam’s – and then to flow the ball pretty quickly. He’s still working on locating his opponents when the footy leaves his area defensively, rather than get caught ball watching, it’s what he’s doing next. Those little gaps there he is looking to improve on but overall a solid first game for the year.

Liam Dawson Extends His Contract

The Brisbane Lions have re-signed another member of their 2014 draft class with Liam Dawson extending his stay at the Gabba until at least the end of 2018. Dawson was nominated by Brisbane as an Academy Selection in the AFL National Draft, pick 44 overall. He had an impressive 2015, playing 10 games in his debut season (11 career), and contributing to the development of the Lions' back six.

He joins Harris Andrews, Jaden McGrath and Josh Clayton as 2014 draftees to have inked new deals in recent months. "It's a fantastic result to have Liam recommit to the Club," said Brisbane Lions CEO Greg Swann. “Liam is a graduate of our Lions Academy and is one of 13 Queenslanders on our list. It’s wonderful to see football continue to develop in this state.”

“We thank Liam’s management McDonalds Sports Management who have always been good to deal with and in particular, Liam’s manager Dave Trotter."

429593_nl.jpg

Reserves Wrap - GWS - 17/07/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments?)

Liam played as an inside mid – a new role. He was going to probably start forward. We didn’t tell him until the day before about the new role with Benny Keays going out. 24 disposals, 9 tackles – that’s two weeks in a role he’s had 9 tackles. It’s part of his game we’ve been focussing on with him. He had six clearances, pushed inside 50. He didn’t hit the scoreboard as much this week as a mid. He probably ran out of gas as the game wore on, but as a first up opportunity as a mid, he was really good.

Reserves Wrap - GWS - 20/08/2015 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

I played Liam as an inside mid also on the day. We tried to put more of our listed bigger bodies in and around the ball just to be combative with the GWS mids. Liam was terrific we thought – 22 touches, 18 of those contested, a game high 14 tackles and 7 clearances. He had five inside 50s and finished off with a goal so Liam was probably one of our best players, if not the best player for us on the day. He’s still got some work to do in transition but certainly his effort and listening to instruction to surge the footy forward was really good.

Player Reviews: No. 21 - 25

Playing seven games in 2016, versatile Liam Dawson kicked a career high two goals against St Kilda in Round 23. Used in roles between half back and half forward, the 20-year-old Queenslander will continue to improve with experience. Dawson re-signed with the Club in April until at least the end of 2018.

Coach’s notes:

Liam Dawson played seven AFL games for the season, mainly as 3rd tall forward. He played 10 NEAFL games. In his seven AFL games, he kicked 5 goals straight and took 20 marks. Dawson played 10 NEAFL games most of them across half back before moving forward. He’s a young player who will come into his 3rd season in 2017.

dawsonsoninarticle.jpg

Breakout year in 2017. His kicking will become an asset for our side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to learn how to get a lot more cheap ball...barely touches it at senior level.

I think that's what needs to happen. It just hit me this morning that his kicking unlike 90% of our squad would be up to Hawthorn standards. I'd expect him to be in our round 1 side.

Whether it's playing as a high half forward or a wingman or down back we would greatly benefit by him getting 8-10 marks a game and 15+ kicks.

I think there are a quite a few in our squad that need to learn how to get more of the ball, cheap and contested. He is a good example because his better than average disposal and ability to play tall make him a valuable commodity.

I think Dawson is best suited to playing half back on an opponent that won't expose his lack of pace. I wonder if our recruiting this year will mean that we have to play him elsewhere.

I think Dawson is best suited to playing half back on an opponent that won't expose his lack of pace. I wonder if our recruiting this year will mean that we have to play him elsewhere.

That'd work well if teams had slow forwards that didnt require a lot of close checking...I still see him as a Gunston type forward myself.

I'm probably of a different opinion to most but I wasn't all that impressed with him last year. Mind you, I think our game plan and structure hindered our players more than anything. I'll be tracking him closely. I see him as a HFF type going forward, not a defender.

hes another whose been stitched up being moved back and then forward literally every week

I'm probably of a different opinion to most but I wasn't all that impressed with him last year. Mind you, I think our game plan and structure hindered our players more than anything. I'll be tracking him closely. I see him as a HFF type going forward, not a defender.
Agree, in comparison to his first year he went backwards IMO. Without knowing his skinfolds he looks a bit pudgy as an AFL footballer. He looks to have put on some size but think it has hindered him a bit. Sounds a bit harsh as it was only his second year in the system but it might just be symptomatic of the expectations within the club and this will hopefully change. If you watch his draft compilation he looks a really likely type. Hope he is able to reach the heights he should.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back