Delisted Liam Dawson (2014-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reserves Wrap - GWS - 17/05/2015 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

Probably one of his best games for the year, kicked four, and had a bit of an impact as a forward for us. I thought his work rate improved as the game wore on, playing as a high forward, played him a bit deeper at times. It was good to see Liam respond from the previous week, certainly his illness a couple of weeks ago affected him but he’s been working really hard on his goal kicking at training and it’s good to see him get some rewards from it.

Liam Dawson is ready to make his AFL debut after coming through Brisbane Lions Academy

BRISBANE debutant Liam Dawson was not exactly dressed for success when he found out his football dream had come true.

The homegrown 19-year-old will play his first AFL game on Sunday when the Lions tackle Essendon at Etihad Stadium.

He was dragged out of an ice bath and into the coaches room at the Gabba on Thursday afternoon where, draped in nothing but a towel, he was told he had made the big time.

719698-fd81a7d6-0138-11e5-a51d-261bba26395a.jpg

Nice little story in the Brisbane Times about Liam Dawson's debut through his mum's eyes:

Whenever Brisbane Lions first-year player Liam Dawson plays football he searches for his mum, Bev, on the fence.

She gives him a reassuring thumbs up and he goes on his way.

When Dawson made his debut for Brisbane on Saturday, Bev and his younger brother, Kyle, were in the club corporate box.

But Liam still looked for them in the warm up before playing Essendon and this time it was Kyle who gave him a wave.

We spoke with Bev the day after Liam made his debut, completing a pathway that started at the Redcliffe Tigers as a seven-year-old.

Bev found out Liam was going to debut when he called her first, because he always calls her first.

A family of football fanatics, the Dawson boys have always played footy and Bev umpired and played football as well.
"If there was a word that was bigger than proud, that would be it," she said of hearing the news.

The plans for the weekend went out the window as Kyle and Bev prepared for a trip to Melbourne.

Reserves Wrap - NT Thunder - 04/07/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Gaining a lot of confidence, played again down back. He had 22 disposals and 13 marks, probably six or seven of them were intercepts from opposition. Used the ball well, probably the best I’ve seen him kick the footy this year to date with his compliancy and efficiency by foot. Still now working on the next part of his game, around stoppage and how he gets the drop positioning and working on opponents in that area.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney Uni - 19/07/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Probably one of our best players again on Sunday. Four weeks now where Liam’s been consistent. He took another eight marks, he was very consistent in that area and is really starting to push for senior selection. He was a little bit untidy with his disposal by foot on the weekend and probably lacked a little bit of organisation behind the ball, that’s something he has to work on for the next level.

I've been really impressed by his form in the backline. Looks really comfortable at this level and I can see him being a consistent and reliable defender not to dissimilar to a player who use to wear the number 24 for the Lions. It is exciting to have two quality defensive prospects from Queensland in Andrews and Dawson.

I've been really impressed by his form in the backline. Looks really comfortable at this level and I can see him being a consistent and reliable defender not to dissimilar to a player who use to wear the number 24 for the Lions. It is exciting to have two quality defensive prospects from Queensland in Andrews and Dawson.
apologies, who was the other 24 youre referring to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions Academy Product Sings Loud

“It was a great feeling, I couldn’t sing the song loud enough”, he told LionsTV on Tuesday following the team’s victory over the Blues.

Dawson, a Hyundai Help for Kids Lions Academy product, was taken in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft as an Academy Selection at pick 44.

“The Academy has been a big help for us."

“To have that elite standard and a team to fall back on at Coorparoo as well. Going there and training with the best in Brisbane has been great for our development”, Dawson said.

“I was stoked to come to the Lions and stay around family and friends up here.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-28/the-inquirer-just-for-kicks

Great effort in your first season to make the list for kicking efficiency, factoring in Distance, Direction, Target type and Pressure

Highest ranked as a General Forward (even thou he's been playing back lately)
Ranked 4th in the competition, behind Ablett, Duncan and Krakouer

Brisbane boy Dawson living his dream with the Lions

Lions defender Liam Dawson can thank his mum Bev for his footy career.

If not for her, he may never have played a second game as a kid growing up in Brisbane.

"I cried the first time I went out on to the field," the 19-year-old admitted to APN.

"I think I just got a bit scared of the footy coming towards me. But Mum said 'stick with it', so I did."

Player Reviews: Part Five

Youngster Liam Dawson had a fairy-tale debut season at the Lions, playing 10 games and combining with fellow Hyundai Help for Kids Academy product Harris Andrews to form an integral part of the Lions’ back six. After kicking a goal in his debut match against the Bombers in Round Eight, Dawson again impressed in Round 18 against the Cats, where he collected 19 possessions. Providing run off half-back, the 19-year-old Queenslander will continue to improve with experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back