Player Watch Liam Holt-Fitz (Academy Prospect)

Remove this Banner Ad

I know how far it is, I've lived in Darwin for years (only moved back to Melbourne a year and a half ago) and made the drive a few times myself. If he doesn't have family there he certainly has friends there (he's not the first person to move from Tenant Creek to Darwin). You'd be surprised how family orientated the indigenous culture is in the NT. To the extent that I wouldn't be surprised if someone from his family made the move with him to Darwin if he didn't have any family there already. For example, it's pretty normal for family members to move to Darwin just to be closer to their relative if they are in jail there. Even if by some remote chance he has no family or friends in Darwin, the culture shift from Tenant Creek to Darwin is far less of a shock to the system than making a move to Melbourne.

I have no doubt the club would be willing to make arrangements for the move if he's willing but it's no slight on him if he doesn't want to move yet. I have stayed in Tenant Creek a couple of times on the way though and I couldn't imagine living there. I dare say the culture shock I experienced when staying there is much the same feeling he'd have when making the move to a place like Melbourne.

Be nice to find out if he's going to adjust to a move to Melbourne before we draft him though rather than after. Be totally up to the kid. He (and his family for that matter) may or may not want to improve his educational opportunities and enhance his draftability. If the club are keen then you'd imagine they'd be having these types of discussions, ensuring he has options.

Be nice to find out if he's going to adjust to a move to Melbourne before we draft him though rather than after. Be totally up to the kid. He (and his family for that matter) may or may not want to improve his educational opportunities and enhance his draftability. If the club are keen then you'd imagine they'd be having these types of discussions, ensuring he has options.
Honestly, if he's unwilling to accept an offer to move to Melbourne to enhance his chances of being drafted the club should be extremely wary of drafting him in the first place imo.

Has anyone considered
We have 16 players out of contract next year
Therefore We will be delisting and trading ,looking at free agents! (Which has already been confirmed)
We will be making massive changes(predict at least 6)
We won't need great picks only points as ISSAC & FITZ HOLT will be drafted and both will be bid on.
Discounts will assist if we want Kelly
WANTED PACE Sam Murray
WANTED CRUMBER. FITZ
Lock down back issac

LOOKING GREAT

Just out of curiosity who is the Issac fella you've mentioned here? Haven't heard the name mentioned before, is he potentially one of ours?

Just out of curiosity who is the Issac fella you've mentioned here? Haven't heard the name mentioned before, is he potentially one of ours?
Isaac Quaynor would be the player being referred to as "Lock down back issac'. He's in our Oakleigh region and available to us as he has a multicultural background. He goes very well from all reports. There's a thread on him on the "front page".

ISAAC QUAYNOR | OAKLEIGH CHARGERS
DEF | 180CM | 77KG

Another Charger not eligible until the 2018 draft, Quaynor impressed across the backline for Oakleigh. His reading of the flight was superb, and his work one on one was sensational, using his body strongly to take four contested marks. The best of these was a beautiful one hander while fending off his opponent. He used the ball cleanly and demonstrated good vision and decision making when exiting the defensive third. Has some good traits to work with.

http://footyprophet.com/tac-cup-scouting-notes-chargers-dominate-depleted-knights/

Honestly, if he's unwilling to accept an offer to move to Melbourne to enhance his chances of being drafted the club should be extremely wary of drafting him in the first place imo.

You're probably right there, he is only 17 though.

I personally think that the draft age is too young and that we should be drafting 19 or preferably 20 year olds.

I personally think that the draft age is too young and that we should be drafting 19 or preferably 20 year olds.

It's a time limited career and losing that year would be a concern.

This article from a couple of years back (when he was only 15) says they were thinking of sending him to SA or WA and he was quite keen on the idea:-

http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/tenn...e/news-story/3f2b4b3770082683b953f9ee8d7cfc2e

His son’s future may be outside the Barkly and the Territory however with the family considering sending Holt-Fitz to a Clontarf academy down south.
“There are a lot of options for him, we have not had a good chance to nail it down,” Tiger said.
“We want to try and potentially get him out of Tennant Creek so he can go and play somewhere.”

School, football and life in SA or WA sounds good.
“I would love to go away for school, maybe out of the Territory to South Australia or Western Australia,” Liam said.
“There is a big Clontarf academy in Perth, there is a few boys I know that go there.”

It's a time limited career and losing that year would be a concern.
I'd say the fact that kids can leave school and walk straight into a job where they're able to earn very decent money (playing AFL) gives our sport a big edge over rival sports when it comes to luring talented young athletes. We lose the odd tug-of-war but seem to win the majority of them against the likes of cricket and basketball. I don't think the AFL would want to give up that advantage by making players wait another year or two before they can be drafted.

I'd say the fact that kids can leave school and walk straight into a job where they're able to earn very decent money (playing AFL) gives our sport a big edge over rival sports when it comes to luring talented young athletes. We lose the odd tug-of-war but seem to win the majority of them against the likes of cricket and basketball. I don't think the AFL would want to give up that advantage by making players wait another year or two before they can be drafted.

I also think that depression in AFL footballers is on the rise and part of that is to do with putting undue pressure on them before they have the emotional strength and resilience to cope with the ever increasing pressure and demands of the job.

I also think that depression in AFL footballers is on the rise and part of that is to do with putting undue pressure on them before they have the emotional strength and resilience to cope with the ever increasing pressure and demands of the job.
That's probably all true, and no doubt plenty of people would like to see the draft age raised. Yet players don't have to nominate at 18 if they don't think they are ready. I suspect that not too often would there be good young prospects who choose to take a "gap year", but the option to wait is there for them.

I think that's more a general issue across society rather than a football related issue. Kids generally seem less resilient. Social media a bigger issue.

I think that's more a general issue across society rather than a football related issue. Kids generally seem less resilient. Social media a bigger issue.

Agree 100%, would add general technology addiction as well. So whilst I do some definite benefits in waiting a couple of years to draft them, the structure of AFL footy may actually help a fair few kids who get picked at 18 and wouldn't have gone straight into the workforce and would have probably gone if the rails if they hadn't have had AFL to slot into.

Why is that likely? Tennant Creek is a bloody long way from Darwin.

Aside from that, the club could probably provide him with a boarding scholarship at Scotch like they did for Edwards back in the day. It would be a good opportunity for him. Obviously nobody’s gonna force the kid to do it but the club would be mad not to provide him with the opportunity.
Tenant Creek to Scotch.
That would have to be one hell of a culture shock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tenant Creek to Scotch.
That would have to be one hell of a culture shock.

Every time I've been to Tenant Creek I've needed more scotch...

Yep, would be different if we had a University system like the Septics but we don't.

I watch Liam on a weekly basis as I'm a commentator on NTFL footy.

He's still a fantastic prospect and is probably leading the Nightcliff best and fairest after 3 rounds. Great defensive pressure and can turn it on and score goals quickly as well. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Last Nightcliff player to dominate at such a young age was Brandan Parfitt - Tigers very good at developing youngsters in the last few years.

I watch Liam on a weekly basis as I'm a commentator on NTFL footy.

He's still a fantastic prospect and is probably leading the Nightcliff best and fairest after 3 rounds. Great defensive pressure and can turn it on and score goals quickly as well. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Last Nightcliff player to dominate at such a young age was Brandan Parfitt - Tigers very good at developing youngsters in the last few years.
Got any more news on how he's going?

I thought he was going to St Johns College in Darwin. Same School as Long, Rioli's, McLeod and Bucks.
A kid shouldn't be written off because he doesn't move to a Southern State at 16/17 years! Let him enjoy his footy, see his family and develop...and if we are lucky we get a 10yr player that doesn't resent the club.

i have never really payed much attention to this thread and havent read into it, so what's with this kid? do we get access to him or something, how does it work?
Yeh is in our "development" zone Barkly in NT.
Check his highlights gotta a bit of X. Love to rookie him.

Notionally I like the idea of drafting them at say 19 years of age.

But yeah, what do they all do for a year? Work at woolies in hopes of being drafted? Start degrees, tafe training or apprenticeships they may or may not continue to pursue if drafted? Where do they play? Local footy? We don't have a feeder system tied to education like the US does.

Seems like a pretty difficult system to unravel just to give them an extra year before they get into the AFL. And I'd say it would only be a matter of time before we'd end up with some kind of restraint of trade case from an 18 year old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back