Free Agency Liam Jones - [Joins Dogs as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Three years seems...odd. He'll be 32 by the time he plays. Imagine it'd be a heavily trigger-based contract
One would think, ponying up 3 guaranteed years would be worrying.
So what compensation, if any, should Carlton receive? 3rd-round pick?
3rd round seems steep but no precedent for this really.

I don’t have an issue with Carlton receiving compensation. At the end of the day it should be treated as a free agent signing imo.

In saying that. They didn’t receive compensation for Jarrad Waite who signed for two years at North. I imagine the overall contract size in terms of dollars would be similar.

I don’t have an issue with Carlton receiving compensation. At the end of the day it should be treated as a free agent signing imo.

In saying that. They didn’t receive compensation for Jarrad Waite who signed for two years at North. I imagine the overall contract size in terms of dollars would be similar.

I think it's bizarre that at his age and a gap year in between the Dogs are offering Jones a 3 year deal.

Wish Him all the best anyway, absolutely got no ill feeling towards him, don't agree with his anti Vax stance but I respect his choice to do it. Everyone should have autonomy over their body and choices whether to get jabbed or not, unless it's a job that requires being around sick/frail people etc (hospitals etc)

I think it's bizarre that at his age and a gap year in between the Dogs are offering Jones a 3 year deal.

Wish Him all the best anyway, absolutely got no ill feeling towards him, don't agree with his anti Vax stance but I respect his choice to do it. Everyone should have autonomy over their body and choices whether to get jabbed or not, unless it's a job that requires being around sick/frail people etc (hospitals etc)
It’s a bit weird but I’m not too fussed. I’d say it’s more likely to be two with an option for a third, I dare say given there was interest from Gold Coast and Essendon we would’ve had to do a little extra to secure him.

As far as the vax stuff is concerned (and I don’t want this thread to be about it) I think it plays a part in the AFL both giving Carlton a compo but also giving Liam the chance to return from retirement early.

Carlton got screwed on Waite.
Hawks got a 3rd rounder for Isaac Smith (same age then as Jones is now) who signed a 2 year deal.

No we didn't he retired. As per the current rules, he's not allowed to play for 18 months from that time.
The AFL will work something out, and Carlton should get compensation, likely as Free Agency Compo.
I think the AFL will turn him into unrestricted free agent so he can play next year and the deal being Carlton will probably get a compo pick in line with whatever that contract at Dogs would be.
I'm guessing a round 3 compo type pick will be where it lands.

I think the AFL will turn him into unrestricted free agent so he can play next year and the deal being Carlton will probably get a compo pick in line with whatever that contract at Dogs would be.
I'm guessing a round 3 compo type pick will be where it lands.
Yeah, most likely.
3 year deal should get us Band 4 (end of 2nd round) compo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if he'll even be able to play. Don't people have to wait 18 months?
At present, but the AFLPA, his manager, the AFL and Carton will all come to agreement in the circumstances allowing him to be seen to be a free agent is best for all concerned and compo in line with however his contract is done.
I cannot imagine any of the parties will disagree that is best way to do it.

At present, but the AFLPA, his manager, the AFL and Carton will all come to agreement in the circumstances allowing him to be seen to be a free agent is best for all concerned and compo in line with however his contract is done.
I cannot imagine any of the parties will disagree that is best way to do it.

Does anyone know where to find this 18 months rule?

I'm genuinely concerned over the reports of a 3 year deal, seems to long for someone of his age who has just spent a year or of the system.

I expect FA compo rules will be applied to Carlton for Liam's signature.

If the rumours turn our true of us getting a 3rd round pick in the deepest draft (apparently) since the 2018 superdraft, I would gladly drive Jones from the airport and drive him to the Kennel.

This would be a significant win and bonus for Carlton, especially now we seem to be nailing our picks in that range these days under Austin and Agesta aka The A (recruiting) Team

Confident we can find another gem like Corey Durdin with that pick

Yeah, most likely.

Years don't really count for much, it's more about the guaranteed $/year and age; incentive based components are excluded from the compensation calculation.

You'd imagine it'd be either a pick after Carlton's third round pick (band 5) or nothing.

Band 5 would mean he's paid in the top 70% of players aged over 25 (with younger players between 25-30 receiving additional loading for their age).

Last edited:
If the rumours turn our true of us getting a 3rd round pick in the deepest draft (apparently) since the 2018 superdraft, I would gladly drive Jones from the airport and drive him to the Kennel.

This would be a significant win and bonus for Carlton, especially now we seem to be nailing our picks in that range these days under Austin and Agesta aka The A (recruiting) Team

Confident we can find another gem like Corey Durdin with that pick
It’s all come full circle for the Dogs.

The pick we received for Jones to begin with got us Caleb Daniel. Hopefully you draft someone just as good (or better).

Yeah, most likely.
Pretty sure length of contract doesn't have much bearing on compensation. It's primarily based off annual salary. That's why eyebrows were raised with Daniher. A shorter contract on bigger dollars earns more compensation than a longer contract on slightly less money.

I wouldn't be to concerned about a 3 year deal if I was a dogs fan. Is pretty durable and will be their best KPD by a mile. He is exactly what they need and there isn't really anyone else better available.

I imagine there would have been a few clubs keen on his services so a 1 year contract on minimum salary wouldn't have got it done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back