Free Agency Liam Jones - [Joins Dogs as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t have an issue with Carlton receiving compensation. At the end of the day it should be treated as a free agent signing imo.

In saying that. They didn’t receive compensation for Jarrad Waite who signed for two years at North. I imagine the overall contract size in terms of dollars would be similar.
Why? They delisted him. If anything it should be treated as a delisted free agent...ie no compo.

Delist the bloke when they had the option to keep him on the list then go looking for compo? Didn't want to fully support the player but happy to put their hand out now. Doesn't make any ******* sense to me. Will be an absolute farce if they get any compo.

Why? They delisted him. If anything it should be treated as a delisted free agent...ie no compo.

Delist the bloke when they had the option to keep him on the list then go looking for compo? Didn't want to fully support the player but happy to put their hand out now. Doesn't make any ******* sense to me. Will be an absolute farce if they get any compo.

It was Jones choice to retire.

Anyway I'm not sure why some people care so much about us being thrown a pick likely in the late 40s / early 50s for what was a pretty unique and sh#tty situation

We didn't delist him. He retired. After the Final List Lodgement.

He still took a list spot up if memory serves me correctly as he retired.

Either he is reverted back to being a free agent and therefore Carlton get compensated or his retirement is treated as such and he won’t play until mid season next year.

I don’t get why it’s either a hard concept to grasp or a big deal for those that can. It’s not going to be a high draft pick. It’ll likely be a third rounder at the very most and given where Carlton sit on the ladder we are talking a pick in the mid to late 40s.

Did Carlton want him to hang around? Or did he 'retire' because they didn't want to carry the dead weight?

Force a bloke into retirement and then ask for compo :$
He could have gone onto the inactive list, but he chose to retire.
We didn't force him to retire, he chose to, due to a (very reasonable) rule that only applied for 8 months.

He still took a list spot up if memory serves me correctly as he retired.

Either he is reverted back to being a free agent and therefore Carlton get compensated or his retirement is treated as such and he won’t play until mid season next year.

I don’t get why it’s either a hard concept to grasp or a big deal for those that can. It’s not going to be a high draft pick. It’ll likely be a third rounder at the very most and given where Carlton sit on the ladder we are talking a pick in the mid to late 40s.
Nah. They freed up a list spot with his departure - Carlton's train-on players vying to replace Liam Jones officially joining training

If he retired, why would he have to wait until mid season to play? Surely he can just enter the draft?

I believe it's 12 months and pretty sure that only applies to the SSP and MSD. Anyone can nominate for the ND or PSD.
Carlton do not intend to recruit Jones, but they have argued for compensation because they have made list decisions to recruit and contract other players on the basis he had retired and therefore would not be able to play for another club for 18 months.
Under existing rules, players who retire can’t re-join the competition for 18 months.

Think a 2nd rounder is fair if free agency compo says an early 3rd is due. End of the day the AFL could be letting him play this week and hed be a chance to play deep into finals with the Blues... but they haven't. They prolonged it far beyond when the government eased their rules. The AFL forced him into this scenario and Carlton lost a reliable key defender in his prime for reasons entirely out of their control.

I know we won't get a 2nd rounder and will be lucky to get the 3rd... but they really should be compensating us for the year he was forced to miss while on our list. Absolutely shafted us.

Thanks, that's an odd rule. Didn't seem to apply when Hodge 'retired'? Or was it changed after that? Hawks didn't get any compo did they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think a 2nd rounder is fair if free agency compo says an early 3rd is due. End of the day the AFL could be letting him play this week and hed be a chance to play deep into finals with the Blues... but they haven't. They prolonged it far beyond when the government eased their rules. The AFL forced him into this scenario and Carlton lost a reliable key defender in his prime for reasons entirely out of their control.

I know we won't get a 2nd rounder and will be lucky to get the 3rd... but they really should be compensating us for the year he was forced to miss while on our list. Absolutely shafted us.
If we got a 2nd rounder for Ellis who got a 5 year, $600k per year deal @ 25 years old, no ******* way should Carlton get a 2nd for a 32 year old Liam Jones on a 3 year deal @ probably 300-400k for 3 years.

You should be compensated because Liam Jones didn't want to play by the same rules 99.9% of other players did? That was his choice, now you want the AFL to compensate you for it? The only one doing the shafting was Liam Jones.

If we got a 2nd rounder for Ellis who got a 5 year, $600k per year deal @ 25 years old, no ******* way should Carlton get a 2nd for a 32 year old Liam Jones on a 3 year deal @ probably 300-400k for 3 years.

You should be compensated because Liam Jones didn't want to play by the same rules 99.9% of other players did? That was his choice, now you want the AFL to compensate you for it? The only one doing the shafting was Liam Jones.
Impossible to go into the reasons without starting a covid debate. Afl kept their policy for months after the government recommendations, if they didn't take an eternity Jones would likely be in our best 22 heading towards finals

Impossible to go into the reasons without starting a covid debate. Afl kept their policy for months after the government recommendations, if they didn't take an eternity Jones would likely be in our best 22 heading towards finals
Yeah but that's their right to do so. If Liam Jones wanted to play AFL he had to comply. The afl has plenty of policies that differ to government law that decide whether a player is eligible to compete or not.

At the end of the day Jones had to either get vaccinated or Carlton had to keep him on the inactive list - as that AFLW club did with their anti vaxer - for them to be eligible for compensation. Neither of those things happened. Too bad.
Hodge didn't really 'retire'.
He announced that he would, and played out the year. He was traded to Brisbane before the List Lodgement.
He retired. That's why hawks weren't eligible for compo for losing him and why Brisbane's compo for losing Roclliff wasn't affected as it would have been had hodge been a free agent.

Yeah but that's their right to do so. If Liam Jones wanted to play AFL he had to comply. The afl has plenty of policies that differ to government law that decide whether a player is eligible to compete or not.

At the end of the day Jones had to either get vaccinated or Carlton had to keep him on the inactive list - as that AFLW club did with their anti vaxer - for them to be eligible for compensation. Neither of those things happened. Too bad.

He retired. That's why hawks weren't eligible for compo for losing him and why Brisbane's compo for losing Roclliff wasn't affected as it would have been had hodge been a free agent.
Hodge was traded

McCartin was delisted and spent two years out of the game.
Also well over 18 months out of AFL club land.
2019 was his last year at St.Kilda

2020 and 2021 out of AFL system

A player off an AFL must be off a list for at least 12 months if they’re to be selected in a mid-season rookie draft or pre-season supplemental selection period.

He was put on Swans list in 2022 pre-season supplemental selection period.

He’s 31 and won’t be on much money, extremely unlikely to generate any compensation.

Depending on the size of the contract, Carlton would therefore be entitled to draft compensation for losing a free agent. The Dogs are set to give him three years to accommodate his wage under the salary cap, spreading the money out over three seasons rather than two.

Especially because the money is spread over three years for cap reasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back