Traded Liam Jones to Carlton for pick 46

Remove this Banner Ad

Not playing on top forward but third forward
I thought he was going to succeed as the third forward behind Levi and Lachlan?

Well, that's what you were saying all pre-season, anyway.

The issue with Jones is consistency, He has never ever been consistent, he can get six goals one week and a single handball the next, his defensive game is described as lazy at best and his marking is clumsy at best (although he has taken some spectacular marks at times, he gets destroyed in one on ones way to much). The blues wont pay him out after one year as he might improve (Grant has improved for us under the new coach) but I doubt it.

The issue with Jones is consistency, He has never ever been consistent, he can get six goals one week and a single handball the next, his defensive game is described as lazy at best and his marking is clumsy at best (although he has taken some spectacular marks at times, he gets destroyed in one on ones way to much). The blues wont pay him out after one year as he might improve (Grant has improved for us under the new coach) but I doubt it.
Carlton would be wrapped if he could kick 6 in a game, s**t they would be wrapped if he could just get 6 kicks in an AFL game.

A very talanted VFL footballer who isnt good enough for the AFL, I cant believe the Blues gave this bloke a 3 year deal

I actually feel sorry for the guy - he is clearly a cut above VFL level but will probably never make the grade as a consistent KPF at AFL level. His best season was with Hall attracting most of the attention and a gold class midfield giving him silver platter service.
He is icing, not cake, and can't play well in a developing side.

He was a spectacular failure in the one game in played in defence, but wasn't that the coaches fault? You couldn't really expect anything else from someone who has never played there before.

He needs half a season playing CHB in the VFL to try to work out what defenders are supposed to be doing.

We have also picked up a cult hero that will see many people tune in, become members just to watch this little fella play. You can sense the excitement in the crowd every time he gets the ball.

Football & Marketing department at the Dogs equally happy about this trade!

Blues media & marketing started well with Jonesy but turned to disaster as soon
as they realised you can't polish a turd.

3rd round pick down the drain - he is not going to come good.. has all the attributes to be a good solid footballer but is simply not good enough.

He can?

This has to be the stupidest thread on BigFooty
Cannot believe it has 23 pages dedicated to it

It's not a stupid thread give it's based on a factual event of trade week and it's on the drafts and trading board.

You'd be making sure it went for longer if Jones played well. Remember telling everyone they had egg on their faces and Liam was proving them all wrong?

It's natural a player's fortunes will be discussed post being traded

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren't you the bloke who said you can't wait to bump the thread about him on the main board and rub it in our faces when you flog us and Jones plays a standout game?? Who has "egg on their face" now.

Last edited:
Big setanta was half a spaz and twice as good as Jones.
Really should have given him one year. Baring injury you usually can tell if a recycled player has got what you need in that time. With the pick traded to get Jones blues could have gotten a young forward prospect and in the same amount of time Jones will have been at the club the draft prospect would be better than Jones ever will be. If it was a bust then you walk away with the same result. A wasted pick.

He was a spectacular failure in the one game in played in defence, but wasn't that the coaches fault? You couldn't really expect anything else from someone who has never played there before.

He needs half a season playing CHB in the VFL to try to work out what defenders are supposed to be doing.

I think he may have played CHB in juniors.

You're somewhat of an expert when it comes to stupid threads. So I bow down to your judgement on this matter.

Liam does well at VFL level for both Footscray and Preston but struggles at senior level. I think he should just spend all his training in the gym and and running on the track and stuff all skills and kicking drills

If he can get his fitness and strength at another level I think can get it together. Hoping 2016 is a good year for him as he can take marks and can kick goals
The bloke spent the preseason break doing crossfit 4 times a week, I know cause I was going to the same place for a little while. His issue is his reading of the play and leading patterns and once has it he cracks under pressure.

3rd round pick down the drain - he is not going to come good.. has all the attributes to be a good solid footballer but is simply not good enough.

When the footy club is trying to delist you and put both of his remaining 2 years of his contract together in one year you know it's bad.

The bloke spent the preseason break doing crossfit 4 times a week, I know cause I was going to the same place for a little while. His issue is his reading of the play and leading patterns and once has it he cracks under pressure.

Well just have to play him in VFL until he shows merits games at senior level and hope once he breaks back in can play consistent and have a good career.

I actually think Jones would have been solid contributor for us if he stayed and Beveridge was given the chance to work with him. Wouldn't trade Caleb Daniel for him though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back