Society/Culture Liam Neeson: Should we be condemned for thinking the wrong thoughts?

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm constantly murdering people in my head because they're idiots. The thought of choking someone out and watching consciousness slip from their terrified eyes while I grin from ear to ear, staring straight back at them gets me through every day at work.

But it's cool - I'm not a racist like Liam Neeson.
Once a soldier, always a soldier, eh?

twotooto

late bloomer
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, what was he thinking bringing it up on the record like that.

Regardless, I listened to the original interview and it seemed that his point was merely that he was consumed with thoughts of vengeance and that those thoughts surprised him and made him uncomfortable once he was able to examine them with a rational mind.

I think that him sharing those thoughts(and I'm only surmising) his intention was to be instructive about the all consuming, irrational and toxic thoughts -and potentially violent outcomes - that arise from being hell bent on revenge.

Unfortunately for him the offender in his example happened to be black. If the offender was not black the visceral reaction we are seeing would not have occurred - it would have slipped straight through to the keeper.

People will say "but he was black, therefore it's racist" but it really wasn't so much about racism as it was about the irrational nature of vengeance.

People will say "but he was black, therefore it's racist" but it really wasn't so much about racism as it was about the irrational nature of vengeance.
We're too quick to judge someone who at least has the courage to admit weakness and mistakes but the fact is we're all in the same boat.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Might I add people all over the world think a lot worse every day but don't admit to it
True that. I was contemplating running over Smurfs for years. Good thing I didn't do it and opted to * up Batman. He took out the Joker the stupid campaigner.

* him.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm constantly murdering people in my head because they're idiots. The thought of choking someone out and watching consciousness slip from their terrified eyes while I grin from ear to ear, staring straight back at them gets me through every day at work.

But it's cool - I'm not a racist like Liam Neeson.
Pissed myself laughing reading this. For more than one reason.

Good and Bad I suppose.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
It was silly. But should he be seriously punished for it.
He's admitted that at a time he wanted to kill people. How does that sound?

Personally I could give a * seeds, especially as his friend was raped. But again you can't blame everyone for one's person action. A lot of people, especially a judge or Pysch would rule them dangerous/insane at that particular time.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He went out looking for a person that matched the description of a rapist.

It's only by chance that it happened to be a black man, so that would narrow his scope of target somewhat.

Again, spewing he didn't find the prick.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Haha no, still finishing the degree. Will be qualified and registered after July.

As long as I don't kill some kids in my last placement...

Hopefully you have picked up some "old school" training

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haha no, still finishing the degree. Will be qualified and registered after July.

As long as I don't kill some kids in my last placement...
I see now why you accepted the largely thankless role of being an SRP mod. There is nary a better way to accrue experience in dealing with childish individuals who can't play nicely.

As one of the key offenders, I say this: you're welcome.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Ahhhh haaaaa!!!!! That's what it is, I knew it! This was Liam Neeson in disguise looking like Bruce Willis.

I knew something was fishy about this scene. Explains it all now.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
He's admitted that at a time he wanted to kill people. How does that sound?

Personally I could give a **** seeds, especially as his friend was raped. But again you can't blame everyone for one's person action. A lot of people, especially a judge or Pysch would rule them dangerous/insane at that particular time.
Yes they would rule them dangerous if they knew their thoughts. But only at that time. So why is he being punished now. And its not like he is getting a fine, we are talking potentially career ending punishment. Completely life changing. For thoughts. Decades ago.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes they would rule them dangerous if they knew their thoughts. But only at that time. So why is he being punished now. And its not like he is getting a fine, we are talking potentially career ending punishment. Completely life changing. For thoughts. Decades ago.
I didn't know it was decades ago. But you know how it is mate, especially in this day and age. Any weak campaigner and their missus will cry about s**t just for the sake of it. The internet gives these fools easy access to criticise and create controversy. Even off the net, same deal. And you know what the States are like.

He went out looking for a person that matched the description of a rapist.

It's only by chance that it happened to be a black man, so that would narrow his scope of target somewhat.

Again, spewing he didn't find the prick.

it thought the reaction was to the "any" black man part. Not that he noted the colour of the rapist.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I didn't know it was decades ago. But you know how it is mate, especially in this day and age. Any weak campaigner and their missus will cry about s**t just for the sake of it. The internet gives these fools easy access to criticise and create controversy. Even off the net, same deal. And you know what the States are like.
So how do we fight back against it. We should not have to just sit and accept the views of the irrationally outraged.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
So how do we fight back against it. We should not have to just sit and accept the views of the irrationally outraged.
utensil suckers like that will always bitch and moan about something. It's who they are, nothing better to do and they will not change. They will inevitably find something else to whinge about, rinse repeat.

Let them waste their energy Seeds. It hasn't got them far, and never will.......

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
The question is, why are the studios (or anyone else) listening to the tiny minority of flogs whining on twitter? I don't see anyone here suggesting that he deserves any significant punishment, yet his movie premiere was canceled / postponed. Is it because the clickbait media give the loudest of the outraged a platform?

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The question is, why are the studios (or anyone else) listening to the tiny minority of flogs whining on twitter? I don't see anyone here suggesting that he deserves any significant punishment, yet his movie premiere was canceled / postponed. Is it because the clickbait media give the loudest of the outraged a platform?
For sure. Media will always need/find a scape goat and milk it as far as they can. Innocent, or guilty.

* the Media.

Back