Retired Liam Picken (#936)

Picken articles are always my favourite :thumbsu:
Twins on the way! Hope they're boys ... he will pass 100 games this year.

Good profile of him, too. When people poo-poo the idea of "quality" people we should just point them at Liam Picken. Give me a Liam Picken over a Jason Akermanis any day. You build a Team (with a capital T) around blokes like this.

Footscrazy

Team Captain
Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
If he has boys we could potentially have 3 sets of twins drafted as F/S. Rhylee and Cooper West, Mitch and Jordan Croft and Liam's.

Sep 1, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Glory
Fellow midfielder Liam Picken has also been valuable port of call for Lower, as he adjusts to the intricacies of the new position.

“Picken has been fantastic for me as well, a lot of the guys I have played on, he’s done jobs on as well and done them really well - he’s one of the people I ask for advice on opposition players,” he said.

“He’s one of those guys that when the game gets hard - and there are those moments that my opposition possibly gets a couple of touches – he’s one of the first to pat me on the back and tell me to keep my chin up, which is really great.”

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-05-17/lower-reaches-50

Man, I love Liam Picken. You could forgive him for blaming Lower for losing his spot in the midfield. Such a team player.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Champ. Never lowers his colours, fights and scraps and never crosses the line. Rarely disappoints with ball in hand, either.

Don't think I trust any player on our list as much as Picko. Loved his work on Sunday, in particular. ;)

I love the way Picken goes about his job, one of our silent warriors you rarely see getting a lot of the ball, kicking goals etc. It is often though that you dont see much of his target tag opponent in the game. IMO an underrated tagger

Flash86

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Clippers
I love the way Picken goes about his job, one of our silent warriors you rarely see getting a lot of the ball, kicking goals etc. It is often though that you dont see much of his target tag opponent in the game. IMO an underrated tagger
There is a nice article on the age about Picken about all the players he has frustrated. Harvey isn't the only one.
His one big weakness when he was first a tagger, was that players that he tagged would take him forward and make him play as a defender and he struggled against them.
Now that Picken has played as a small defender for pretty much all of last year and half of this year, as a tagger, it isn't a issue going back and stopping them. It will be now playing to Picken's strengths, as he can beat the small forward types really well. Has a pretty good success rate.

Picken's toughness and work rate is unbelievable. Would be one of our first players picked. A very underrated player, not just a underrated tagger.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Sneak peek at the jumpers we'll be wearing on Sunday.
#saveboomer.png
You may want to click on it, damn Paint.

Back