Liam Picken retires

Remove this Banner Ad

A sad day for us fans, but clearly the right decision for Liam and his family.

Came to the club when it was at such a low ebb financially that Williamstown paid his rookie wages so as to get him his shot. At the time he seemed like such a long shot to make it and was initially pegged as a dour stopper devoid of much in the way of skill. That he defied those early characterisations and proved to be much more than the pigeon holing would've had it and be a lynch pin of our astonishing rise to a premiership speaks volumes not only to his dedication and skill but to his character.

He always left it all out there and has nothing left to prove.

Forever A Bulldogs Immortal.

* me! This vision only reinforce how much he reminds me of my late brother.

Last edited:

The right decison, but a sad one that he can't end on a better note

He has nothing left to prove though, a Bulldog premiership player and long servant. Take care of yourself and family now.

Fantastic player. Picken always gave you 110% week in week out. He was finally let of the leash and allowed to play a my natural attacking game after years of been given negating / shut down roles either in defence or onballer.

His move to the forward line late in 2016 was the key ingredient to our premiership. Unlike many others, followed up with a good 2017.

Sad end but will always be remembered very highly. Let hope his condition improves.

Possibly my favourite opposition player along with Eddie Betts. Just loved how he carved us up in 2016. Then the Hawks. Then Giants. Then the Swans. I thought he'd win the Norm Smith in 2016. Amazing skills. Kicked some unbelievable goals.

Players like Liam are one of the main reasons I love AFL. You've got your big ruckmen. There's strong marking forwards. You have athletic runners in the midfield. And then you've got small, exciting dynamic players like Liam Picken (and Eddie Betts) whose skills and instincts seem to defy logic.

Basketball players are mostly tall. Soccer players are mostly lean and short. League players are 119 kg fridges. But just about any size and shape can play Australian football.

Thanks for everything you brought to our game Liam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The king of the Bullgods. As sad as I am, I am relieved that he will not risk his health any further.

He overcame so many barriers to be able to play, overlooked by Collingwood who could have taken him as a father son, and turned down by every other club, he sucked it up and became Williamstown’s best player. We took him as a rookie and he repaid the faith ten-fold.

A legend on-field, a model citizen and good clubman off field. A tough, versatile, fair player that let his footy do the talking.

Enjoy retirement Liam, we will never forget you, and that amazing finals series in 2016.

Not sad at all. Liam has a lovely young family that needs him more than the Doggies do. He has finally made the right decision and all the best to him.

As good as Tom Boyd's goal in the GF was, this speccy was the moment I turned to my daughter and said "We've won this".

3a7794ed5e067d7842ce38910544ece8.jpeg

View attachment 646181
It's Over.....

Thanks for everything Picko...a tough competitor, a true champion and an all round nice guy too

My seat buddy from Aisle 34 always had you to kick the first goal and she loved the little xmas video message you did for her at the SC Christmas party a few years back

Enjoy retirement mate..you've earnt it
This is an iconic photo and very much the way I want to remember him. A moment of glory for a player who was not the most talented or skilled but who was peerless in determination and courage. Well played sir!

Pardon the intrusion, but I am absolutely gutted for Liam. I really hope he goes on to have a good quality of life, I remember Justin Clarke saying after the knock that retired him that he had a lot of problems with his memory. All the best for you guys and Liam.

Very very sad for us as supporters, but he leaves an absolute legend of not just the club but the AFL. His 2016 final series goes down as the pinnacle of his career and, without a doubt every doggy fan owes him as many plaudits as they can give. We wouldn’t have won the flag without him, he was pivotal in breaking our drought...

I hope he recovers completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So sad to see this bloke go out that way what an absolute warrior. Will alway be one of my favs.

But it’s a disgrace that the club didn’t make this call last year now leaving us one short on the list. Everyone that had any connection with the club knew he was always struggling and was unlikely to get back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back