Liam Picken retires

Remove this Banner Ad

So sad to see this bloke go out that way what an absolute warrior. Will alway be one of my favs.

But it’s a disgrace that the club didn’t make this call last year now leaving us one short on the list. Everyone that had any connection with the club knew he was always struggling and was unlikely to get back.

We can sign a replacement player under the new rules

It's sad we won't get to see Picken take the field again, but I guess health and family must come first :'(

We'll never forget his efforts in the 2016 finals. Thanks for the memories Liam and all the best :thumbsu:

I wonder what Billy Picken's thoughts were that Saturday in October 2016 when his son rammed home the sealer to deliver us a treasured premiereship.

Pride I reckon.

What a warrior Liam has been for this football club. We've asked him to play everywhere. Be everything. And he's done it without fanfare, without issue.

Every inch the player we needed him to be and then some.

Thanks Picko.

On ONEPLUS A3010 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Knew it would prob end like this but was praying it wouldn't. Been a favourite since the very beginning. Champion who was such a heart and soul player. Focus on your health and beautiful family Liam and thanks for the memories.
Always a premiership hero.

Liam was a great defender & tagger however when he was released into midfielder & then forward even a greater player

There was none better than Liam in the 2016 final series which proved he was a big occasion player

When he run into that goal, what a moment a moment that will go down in history & never be forgotten

He deserved every chance of coming up; unfortunately it was not to be

Well done Liam on a great career, a true champion

Straight into my best-ever side

Chapeau Liam, it's all been said above and much better than I could do however a huge thank you must go to the club for managing the situation since 2017, giving clear air to Liam today and continuing his support. In today's sport franchise mix, it was fantastic to see that Liam and his family were number one at all times.

I am never going to see anything better than the four 2016 finals, thanks to Liam, Clay and mates. Both will never be forgotten.

So sad to see this bloke go out that way what an absolute warrior. Will alway be one of my favs.

But it’s a disgrace that the club didn’t make this call last year now leaving us one short on the list. Everyone that had any connection with the club knew he was always struggling and was unlikely to get back.
I've got to disagree with you on that one MD. Not a disgrace at all. A fine gesture, IMO.

You only need to read the tributes in this thread and in the media to know that he was a remarkably dedicated and courageous player throughout his career and his performances in the finals were critical to our premiership in 2016. I'm pretty sure you'd agree with all of that.

I agree that the club pretty much knew the score with Liam. We all did. But holding off and allowing him to arrive at the decision himself, letting this driven player know that he'd given himself every possible chance of returning, was in my view entirely the decent thing to do. It was recognition that sometimes respect, sentiment and loyalty towards revered club servants (especially one who has endured more than his share of injuries for the club) count more than the hasty addition to our list of a young player who would have been ranked well over 100 in last year's drafts (ND+Rookie).

That recognition of loyalty and respect ahead of winner-take-all, business-as-usual is increasingly rare in the AFL. Kudos to the club for that, and for promising to continue to look after him in retirement.

It's really not that big a sacrifice anyway. I think you were unaware of it, but we do get a chance to top up our list in late May. Some of the players we've had our eye on may still be available when we get to call out a name.

I found out that Picko was retiring when my daughter texted. A tear almost fell down my cheek, but then I remembered the amazing GF goal and had a great smile. thanks for the memories. you made us all suffering doggies supporters so happy!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was hoping he'd be able to return healthy and fit. I was afraid the lure of reaching the 200 game plateau would push him to play and take dangerous risks to his health. But I expected we'd come to this result in the end. I loved watching Picken play and was rapt with his performance in the 2016 finals. And to Liam I say don't feel bad about not making it to 200 games, us Bulldog fans already know that you have given us 300 games worth of heart over your years in the Red White and Blue.

Absolute legend, Picko!

I recall your debut like it was yesterday. Given the massive task of tagging Brent Harvey and doing a reasonable job. A week later, you had the role on Deledio and did well on him too.

His true footballing prowess was demonstrated in 2015 when Bevo came to the club. He was transitioned from a hard nosed tagger into a crafty offensive weapon with a nose for finals success.

Joins Morris and Cross as probably our hardest working and training players since I started watching properly in the mid 2000's. Also a great example on and off the field character wise. I know he says he is okay with retiring, but deep down he will still be hurting and wishing he could be out there again.

Almost 200 games, and a Premiership, both achievements that a majority of players won't get to experience in their lifetime, I doubt he can have any complaints. Seeing him rise from the rookie list has no doubt been one of my favorite player journeys to watch.

Thanks for everything, you gave it your all, and achieved a lot. The team wouldn't have been able to win that flag without your part. All the best in retirement and hopefully see you around the club again in some capacity in the future.

If you are going to climb that mountain , its blokes like Liam Picken that get you there !
Bit misty eyed posting this , felt the same way when Hawk , Grant , EJ retired .
No need to say anymore , that sums up what we all think about this wonderful footballer and man !

His career win/loss record stands at 99 wins and 99 losses.
We end up with weird stats sometimes.
Brian Royal finished on 199 games, 299 goals.

I wasn't going to say any more as it's mostly been said but I couldn't resist this one as it seemed so appropriate, especially for us in our BF tower pontificating all the time how the game should be played and coached at the highest level without ever shedding blood or getting our hands dirty.

I was driving home just now and switched on the radio. It was federal parliament (which I normally switch off instantly) but there was Michael Danby, MHR for Melbourne Ports, giving his valedictory speech as he's retiring after 20 years in office. He quoted Teddy Roosevelt and I thought it was very timely, coming the day after Picko announced his own retirement:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
Now there's something to reflect on.

Wishing you happy and healthy days ahead, Picko.

Thread posted by his wife. Pickens top 10 moments. He's a dead set legend.

I put a fairly simple post up on Instagram & Annie liked it, was quite shocked :) I have probably just reached peak Instagram with that, although she probably went on a like spree haha

This was the moment where I knew we had found ourselves a gun - just wish Johnno flushed the next shot...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back