Recommitted Liam Ryan [OOC 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

How does Hawthorn get a deal done without throwing in Brockman ?
Probably doesn't get done, unless WC are still keen to acquire DGB or if Ryan forces a trade and they reluctantly accept future 2nd or something like that.

Honestly if WC dig their heels in it doesn't get done he is contracted. So I think they need to be motivated to move players on for this to go anywhere.

I see him as the exact perfect person to move on. Why would you have him as the last person to move on?
The point of a senior player is to take the better opponents and let the younger guys play on the lesser players

With Maric/Long/Hopefully Harley Reid as forwards, having Ryan up there lets them take a lesser opponent and not the best mid sized defender.

We need senior players who can well attract a bloody opponent and not ones like say Dom Sheed who dont

The point of a senior player is to take the better opponents and let the younger guys play on the lesser players

With Maric/Long/Hopefully Harley Reid as forwards, having Ryan up there lets them take a lesser opponent and not the best mid sized defender.

We need senior players who can well attract a bloody opponent and not ones like say Dom Sheed who dont
You dont thinkAllen, Darling and Cripps is enough Senior body experience? With Ryan, I see a contracted, weak trainer. injury proneish, talented, over 25 player that would be perfect to turn into picks for a rebuild

Not sure a historically uncompetitive club can afford to let anyone move on.

Their sole focus should to get a competitive team on the park ASAP.

Liam Ryan for a market value draft pick does not achieve this.

If the Eagles turn over all their senior players at the end of the year for draft picks they should be relegated to the WAFL.

You dont thinkAllen, Darling and Cripps is enough Senior body experience? With Ryan, I see a contracted, weak trainer. injury proneish, talented, over 25 player that would be perfect to turn into picks for a rebuild

Not the same players as the above in terms of opponents and playing style

I kind of see Ryan as the person who lets Jarmaine Jones go into defense full time also

Picks into a rebuild isnt much good when the picks being talked about our late 2nd rounders/3rd rounders. You need good picks, not terrible ones. If Barass is going and likely to attract 2 picks then why do we need to move on Ryan and get another pick? We could very easily be going in with say Pick 1,9,19,22,36,38.56,58

Do we really want to trade Ryan away for our 7th taken pick in the draft?

Not the same players as the above in terms of opponents and playing style

I kind of see Ryan as the person who lets Jarmaine Jones go into defense full time also

Picks into a rebuild isnt much good when the picks being talked about our late 2nd rounders/3rd rounders. You need good picks, not terrible ones. If Barass is going and likely to attract 2 picks then why do we need to move on Ryan and get another pick? We could very easily be going in with say Pick 1,9,19,22,36,38.56,58

Do we really want to trade Ryan away for our 7th taken pick in the draft?
While compo for Barrass would depend a lot on where Sydney finish, if you did Sydney's first pick AND more, that that more would almost definitely be in next year. Additionally, you said it yourself, you want better picks and you'd move 56 and 58 into next year upgrade with another club so they get points. Add in a Brockman and/or other younger player trade in and suddenly your draft hand is 1, 9, 19 and 38 and another pick in the top 30 is nice

While compo for Barrass would depend a lot on where Sydney finish, if you did Sydney's first pick AND more, that that more would almost definitely be in next year. Additionally, you said it yourself, you want better picks and you'd move 56 and 58 into next year upgrade with another club so they get points. Add in a Brockman and/or other younger player trade in and suddenly your draft hand is 1, 9, 19 and 38 and another pick in the top 30 is nice
Pick 30 is pick 40 odd after the mountain of academy picks. If anything Liam Ryan would be the one traded for a future pick. Sydneys 2nd rounder next year isnt better then pick 22 so why would we want their future 2nd rounder.

You think no one will be offering up a pick 30 odd next year either? Why would we let him go a year early when the same offer will be on the table 12 months later anyway.

Pick 30 is pick 40 odd after the mountain of academy picks. If anything Liam Ryan would be the one traded for a future pick. Sydneys 2nd rounder next year isnt better then pick 22 so why would we want their future 2nd rounder.

You think no one will be offering up a pick 30 odd next year either? Why would we let him go a year early when the same offer will be on the table 12 months later anyway.
I said a top 30 pick, I think WC could get that pick reasonably close to 20 and next year would probably depend where he went and if he stayed on the park while every year is one year further away from his AA year. I'm trying not to turn it into a Barrass discussion but assuming they miss finals, Sydney's top pick is already pretty good for Barrass given his age and injuries this year. If WC did con a 2nd out of Sydney, I'd think there is no way Sydney give up a 2nd this year as well but Sydney often do silly things in trade so maybe they do.

I said a top 30 pick, I think WC could get that pick reasonably close to 20 and next year would probably depend where he went and if he stayed on the park while every year is one year further away from his AA year. I'm trying not to turn it into a Barrass discussion but assuming they miss finals, Sydney's top pick is already pretty good for Barrass given his age and injuries this year. If WC did con a 2nd out of Sydney, I'd think there is no way Sydney give up a 2nd this year as well but Sydney often do silly things in trade so maybe they do.
Top 30 pick = Pick 40 odd still

Sydney have zero concept of getting a "pretty good" result in any Barass trade. They will pay overs and Eagles will help by paying some of Barass wages.

Pick 9 for Barass is never gonna happen. We just keep Barass

Stevie J dropped on the radio over the weekend that Liam Ryan is in talks with Hawthorn.

He and his family were also spotted at the North v Hawks game a couple of weeks back in the Hawks area.

Has had a significant layoff with injury.

What’s he going to be worth?
We sure he wasn't simply attending the match to appreciate the quality of it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would West Coast do that if Ryan is still contracted for another year?
Because like most clubs if a player wants out contracted or not you still look after them!

Most likely deal will be brockman + our future second both clubs should be happy with that deal.

Because like most clubs if a player wants out contracted or not you still look after them!

Most likely deal will be brockman + our future second both clubs should be happy with that deal.

The most reliable source in this whole speculation about Ryan has said he doesn't want out.

Would be a pointless move. No different then if say the Demons offered you guys a future 2nd for Jarman Impey. Would you take it?

But Brockman is involved in the trade proposal as well isn't he?

Wouldn't a comparative trade be something like James Jordan and a future second for Jarman Impey?

That hasn't always been the case in recent years with contracted players.

kelly, Papley ect

Can,t see how the above trade is in West Coasts advantage at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back