Roast Liam Ryan racially abused on Instagram

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
As alluded to on one of the footy chat tv shows this evening … why is one of those usernames even allowed on Instagram? Utter negligence on their part IMO.

As alluded to on one of the footy chat tv shows this evening … why is one of those usernames even allowed on Instagram? Utter negligence on their part IMO.
I’ll have you know the niggac ant walk is a beautiful and necessarily tradition vital to the continuation of that species.

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't see anything wrong with the original question. Perfectly valid discussion topic IMO.

I do agree with your sentiments - the initial question was fine if we see it consistently asked over the course of the season.

In saying that, where was the monitoring of responses for 'suitability' thereafter. After Tayla Harris I would have thought 7AFL would have been more responsible for their own text and any follow up responses to it.

I guess it is a symptom of the 'quality' of media and the interweb currently masquerading as news and dialogue.

all our players reposting the screenshot is why i love this football club and its players
To be fair, players right across the entire league have been good with this IMO. Same with Harris and Betts

Fair play to the club, they’re actually doing quite a bit that could actually be seen as helpful and educational rather than just condemning the behaviour and leaving it there. Ignorance is no excuse, especially when videos like this are being made.

I see why people would say ‘ignore the trolls, the attention is all they want’. However, the behaviour you walk past is the behaviour you accept.

They don’t want this level of attention, they want to be noticed by a few people and ruin their day. They don’t want to be contacted by the newspaper, or have their name made public and potentially impacting their work etc etc.

They’re in it to be assholes and ruin someone’s day, not to have it flipped back on them. Keep calling it out.

Last edited:

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I see what people would say ‘ignore the trolls, the attention is all they want’. However, the behaviour you walk past is the behaviour you accept.

They don’t want this level of attention, they want to be noticed by a few people and ruin their day. They don’t want to be contacted by the newspaper, or have their name made public and potentially impacting their work etc etc.

They’re in it to be assholes and ruin someone’s day, not to have it flipped back on them. Keep calling it out.
Could not have said it better

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea

Fair play to the club, they’re actually doing quite a bit that could actually be seen as helpful and educational rather than just condemning the behaviour and leaving it there. Ignorance is no excuse, especially when videos like this are being made.

This is very good and very educational. Great work WCE. Now take the rage into the game against the giants.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles

I hope the WCE/AFL understand that whoever wrote those racist comments towards Liam did it knowing full well how offensive they were. It wasn't written out of ignorance or racial prejudice, it was written to incite a reaction and inflict insult.

While videos like the one above are great to educate the greater community why the terms used were especially hurtful, the only way this can be stopped from happening again is if there's real life consequences for the perpetrators. Laws that are applied in real life need to apply on the internet, and only the police and our law makers can make this happen.

People also need to pull up their mates at the footy if they step over the line, whether it's racism or threatening behaviour like what we saw at the MCG fight. I've done it to my father in law who blurted out a racist comment at the footy in the heat of the moment (he's not racist, which you would appreciate if you knew his family dynamic).
I've pulled a mate up who has the social skills of a brick and didn't realise his "jokes" towards a group of females was making them uncomfortable/feel threatened & ruining their night.

We can all make a difference.

Woobla Stainz

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2014
Perth NOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Real Madrid

Really well said, very proud of the club. People have killed themselves over comments and harassment by trolls. About time something was done.

SirKarl0s

Team Captain
Jun 10, 2018
C-137
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Photo now down from the article but......

1553580065013.png

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx

First of all, bravo to the Tigers.

I saw in the paper this morning that one of the offending instagrammer had come forward and apologised. He did sound embarrassed and apologetic, so I am ok with 2 years in this one instance. Hopefully it's a lesson learned for him, and for everyone.
Next person should get 10 years, and preferably all clubs across all sports should share a database of banned people.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
It's easy to be 'remorseful' after you have been caught. If anything he is probably feeling more sorry for himself than anyone else.

Also, just saw on the news this guy was a Richmond member and the club has revoked his memebership for 2 years. So good on the Tigers for getting on the front foot.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-26/twoyear-ban-for-tigers-member-over-racist-taunts

In case anyone is after the article.

Great job by the Tigers and the AFL community. People need to think twice before being abusive online.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
So incredibly proud of the way the club has responded to this incident.

Also incredibly happy to see how many of the other clubs have re-posted our video and got on board with this campaign. Even the Melbourne Storm have jumped on board.

Disappointed that Richmond saw 2 years as a suitable punishment, should've been a life ban.

Moments like this make me proud to be part of this great club.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Also incredibly happy to see how many of the other clubs have re-posted our video and got on board with this campaign. Even the Melbourne Storm have jumped on board.

Disappointed that Richmond saw 2 years as a suitable punishment, should've been a life ban.

Tigers fan also responsible for the MCG brawl.

Fold the club plz

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

I think 2 years is fair. It was a s**t act but the punishment acts as a solid deterant for people who think they have impunity online. People fck up and should be given at least 1 chance to make restitution without having a life ban.

To think, only 3 years ago Tigers fans were lining up to be rid of their.membership, now it is seen as a punishment. CRAZY!

Koopa

Senior List
Jan 6, 2018
Spiral Mountain
AFL Club
Essendon

Forgive the intrusion, but that is an incredibly direct, powerful message and a very measured response.

Lets hope that this message continues to gain traction and together with other Aboriginal initiatives, helps raise awareness and education on Aboriginal affairs while overall hopefully stamping these sorts of actions out of the game.

I hope that as a requirement for reclaiming their membership, the person in question must attend a cultural awareness training session or two and/or have a conversation with someone from the Korin Gamadji Institute about their actions. (Richmond have a partnership with them)

Well done Eagles and to all involved in putting that together.

Back