Toast Liam Shiels Retires

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
This guy was the perfect ingredient for a champion team, did all the hard stuff, didn't need plaudits. Just played a selfless role each week for years that allowed others around him to reach optimum levels. Well done pup a well deserved retirement.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Always sad to see a triple premiership player call it a day, but I have a feeling it may have been a relatively easy choice to make. A wonderful servant of the club who, along with Cam McPherson, the great Peter Hudson, and Rodney Eade wore the #26 with great distinction in premiership teams. Enjoy your retirement Liam :thumbsu:

Incidentally, Liam played more games for Hawthorn in the #26 than any other player.

Last edited:

Klem

Team Captain
Dec 4, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Hate this. Deserved better. Hope another team offers him a couple of years. Love him the player you’d love to have been.

burton5

Senior List
Sep 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hate this. Deserved better. Hope another team offers him a couple of years. Love him the player you’d love to have been.
He wasn't getting a game with us despite our midfield being one of the worst in the league. No chance to get a gig elsewhere.

Jul 22, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Didn’t Liam choose to play Box Hill late in the year to help them make finals?
Yes. "It's been a tough decision, and a decision I was always going to leave until the end of the year as I made the commitment to my teammates and staff at Box Hill to play out finals with them," Shiels said.

Yes. "It's been a tough decision, and a decision I was always going to leave until the end of the year as I made the commitment to my teammates and staff at Box Hill to play out finals with them," Shiels said.
Thanks. I knew I saw/read that somewhere.

WillowSF

All Australian
Jun 2, 2009
California
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If he is seriously considering coming back to the AFL we should bring him onto the list. We have lost so much experience this off season we know that we can rely on Liam for 100% effort and commitment.

Dewwwww

All Australian
Sep 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With the impending departures of Both O’Meara and Mitchell….would it be worth trying to convince Liam to take up a Rookie list spot next year for 12 months? With the amount of experience which is departing the club we are going to need to bring in a little bit of experience to help the kids

barbster

Team Captain
Jul 4, 2004
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
With the impending departures of Both O’Meara and Mitchell….would it be worth trying to convince Liam to take up a Rookie list spot next year for 12 months? With the amount of experience which is departing the club we are going to need to bring in a little bit of experience to help the kids
I always thought he’d be good as a permanent Medical Sub.

Back