Recommitted Liam Shiels

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Template for Geelong or Sydney supporters posting on a trade thread involving Hawthorn. Just strike out terms that don't apply.

<<Hill/Shiels/Sicily/Howe/Schoenmakers/Smith>> is so overrated by Hawks fans. He's <<a potato/very ordinary/a front runner>> and would be exposed playing for a poor team. Would be worth <<a third rounder to/absolutely nothing for/a seat on the bench for>> a team like <<insert club that came in the bottom 4 this year>> who desperately need a <<name any role or position that the selected Hawks player isn't suited to>> not an average <<name any role or position that the selected Hawks player excels at>>.

Garbage.

According to Hawks posters their entire team is underrated.

Only spuds will be traded for O'Meara.

If this is challenged then Hawks poster say that GC will have to take it or leave it.

Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

carndapies

All Australian
Nov 5, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
O'meara, Mitchell & Vickery will be Hawks....And we won't be losing any of our gun kids for them....Deal with it guys.

I don't think you have any gun kids tbh, your team has been carried by hodge Mitchell Lewis etc for awhile now these kids will be shown for the spuds they are when your actual good players retire

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Shiels value just fell through the floor..

Huh? Strange thing to say...Shiels was probably Hawthorn's best player and in a final where they were beaten (also puts doubt on your call that he can't play in an average side as Hawthorn were average last night and Shiels stepped up).

He ended up with 20 disposals (24 was the most by any Hawk), 70% efficiency, 12 tackles (most on the ground) and 2.1 (only Stringer kicked more). Also put plenty of pressure on and curtailed some of the Bulldogs best players when they were having a field day.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The only player worth a first round pick on Hawthorn's list is Gunston and maaaaaybe Cyril, although he'll be 28 next year and you could argue no 28 year old is worth a first rounder. The thing that hurts Hawthorn is all their stars are in their 30s and none of their youngsters have had a chance to show they have any value, this is why I can't see them getting both Mitchell and even JOM on his own.

You MASSIVELY overrate draft picks. You do realise that about HALF of all first round picks don't even play 50 games! Take last year's trade period for example. Jack Redden was traded for a first round draft pick (dime a dozen mid about the level of Shiels). Jake Melksham was traded for a pick just outside the first round. Jake bloody Melksham! Hell, Hawthorn even traded into the first round with Jed Anderson, a guy who got 10 games in 3 years and didn't look like getting another.

Yet you reckon Rioli, a triple All-Australian, Norm Smith medallist in the best form of his career (with a recent survey revealing at least 3 AFL coaches rate him the best player in the comp) is "maaaaaaybe" worth a first round pick - in other words, you rate Cyril Rioli about the level of Jake Melksham? No other player in the reigning triple premiers is of higher value than Melksham? Take Breust (whose name has been thrown up a bit) - he averages more of the ball, more marks, more tackles, more goals and more goal assists over his career than Eddie Betts. He is 25 and is on track to kick 500+ goals in his career, which would put him in the top handful of small forwards for goals kicked EVER (He is also top 3 all time for goal assists on average). As I explained to a Sydney supporter already he would be their 8th Highest goalkicker ever if he was a Swan and will likely end up kicking more goals than any Swan ever has. Yet you think he is not worth a first rounder - i.e. the equivalent of Jake Melksham.

Hawthorn fans tend to overrate their players but you have gone MILES the other way.

NICE1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Which gun kids? And not being smart either I'm not too aware of whl are the best prospects coming through

We have very little in the way of "guns" coming through. The only kids who have the potential to be A Grade ATM are Sicily and Burton. No one else has shown enough to suggest they are capable of being guns.

Dan12

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2011
Albury
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Seems odd that a club would have a player tell them he wants to leave, then ask for his destination club's captain in waiting. But then again, maybe O'Meara and GC's first rounder will be enough to get Shiels over the line :drunk:

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Seems odd that a club would have a player tell them he wants to leave, then ask for his destination club's captain in waiting. But then again, maybe O'Meara and GC's first rounder will be enough to get Shiels over the line :drunk:
Simple, O'Meara's your captain in waiting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dan12

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2011
Albury
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Simple, O'Meara's your captain in waiting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Oh, okay so the current captain in waiting will happily depart and the new guy is born to do it?

In all seriousness though, I really doubt JOM`s character, leaving a club that has supported his recovery for 2 years while he hasn't contributed, for a powerful, successful Melbourne club.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Oh, okay so the current captain in waiting will happily depart and the new guy is born to do it?

In all seriousness though, I really doubt JOM`s character, leaving a club that has supported his recovery for 2 years while he hasn't contributed, for a powerful, successful Melbourne club.
I think you should leave the recovery part alone, bennell, swallow, o meara all got long term injury and take forever to recover.

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I'd say a fair bit of him wanting to move partiularly to Hawthorn is because of our good run with working knee injuries. Getting players like Burton and Burgoyne who had apparently shot knees and then Burgoyne playing regularly and Burton looking healthy so far.

Back