Free Agency Liam Stocker - signed by St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on where Voss decides to play him and if he's but the tank up.

He's probably 8-9th in the pecking order for midfield spots as it stands though.

Walsh
Cripps
Cerra
Hewett
Kennedy
Curnow
Dow
Cunningham
Fisher
Stocker/Lob/Setterfield

Stocker will gain midfield minutes in time and the recruitment of Cerra and Hewett won't effect Stocker's game time.
Zero chance he is going anywhere
You don’t actually believe this to you?

It’s very obvious that Stocker’s midfield career at Carlton is in serious jeopardy.

If he’s unable to role swap and insists on playing midfield, it will be at another club.

It’s very obvious that Stocker’s midfield career at Carlton is in serious jeopardy.

If he’s unable to role swap and insists on playing midfield, it will be at another club.
I mentioned "game time". Not time in a certain position.

He will have stints in the midfield over the next few years and adding Cerra and Hewett won't hurt Stocker having time to grow in the midfield. His engine isn't there to be a full time mid.

So yes, I do believe exactly what I first wrote.

Doesnt have the tank for it and hes been pretty open to admitting that in interviews. He does very good things with the ball and without it so if he could build on his endurance I could see him earning a spot in a starting midfield. Hes more of a Cripps/Kennedy in and under type so Cerra and Hewett likely wouldnt worry him re midfield minutes - Would be competing with Dow, Setterfield, Kennedy and Cripps.

Cant see him going given his personality but hed be a good pick up if someone were to convince him to leave. Built like an absolute brick sh%thouse and has great skills to match. Could see him becoming one of the better versatile role players in the league, seems to love playing as a bit of an enforcer and puts his body on the line every time its needed.

Despite playing good footy there I don’t think he’ll ever reach his full potential as a HBF. He’s not quick or strong overhead and while a good user he’s not quite at that level where you want him to be your main distributor.

I like him more then plenty of the other Blues young mids so you’d expect he gets an opportunity through their soon.

Can’t see him leaving Carlton though.

shocked if he leaves tbh

Stocked...if he left...?

Dr-Evil-GIF-source.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite playing good footy there I don’t think he’ll ever reach his full potential as a HBF. He’s not quick or strong overhead and while a good user he’s not quite at that level where you want him to be your main distributor.

I like him more then plenty of the other Blues young mids so you’d expect he gets an opportunity through their soon.

Can’t see him leaving Carlton though.

He's a potentially very good back pocket. People who talk about him as a midfield are wishful thinking.

Says who?

He was recruited as someone they thought had football talent.

I don't think they really knew how his game would translate to the AFL.

He's now found his best position at this level.

Not disagreeing with his positioning now, he was 110% recruited as an inside mid tho.

Don’t really see it given his limitations athletically and size wise. Pretty much committing him to being a Duryea type. I’d expect the Blues would want more from him then that.

Thinking he has a Luke Hodge type of half back general potential written all over him.

The club rates his potential leadership abilities very highly internally, I know that

Thinking he has a Luke Hodge type of half back general potential written all over him.

The club rates his potential leadership abilities very highly internally, I know that

Hodge was great overhead for his height though and took apart games with his reading of the play and intercept marking. He was never tasked with playing on the opposition small forwards like Stocker has been so far in his career.

Hodge was great overhead for his height though and took apart games with his reading of the play and intercept marking. He was never tasked with playing on the opposition small forwards like Stocker has been so far in his career.

Stocker has courage by the bucket load, after Cripps, i would say he is the most courageous player at the club.

He is the type of player that will physically take a hit/crunched for the team, which is something all coaches, especially Vossy love.

Yeah he is not endowed with a lot of pace or athletic player, but he is a tough little *****rd with a strong football IQ.

We are building some solid midfield depth now, so like the idea of putting him either on the wing or the hbf.

Stocker has courage by the bucket load, after Cripps, i would say he is the most courageous player at the club.

He is the type of player that will physically take a hit/crunched for the team, which is something all coaches, especially Vossy love.

Yeah he is not endowed with a lot of pace or athletic player, but he is a tough little *****rd with a strong football IQ.

We are building some solid midfield depth now, so like the idea of putting him either on the wing or the hbf.

Yeah I don’t mind Stocker as a prospect I just don’t think he’ll ever be a gun backman. If he is going to be a gun it’ll be further up the field.

That being said given where he was taken in the draft if he only has a Duryea level career it’s hardly a loss I’m sure there will be plenty of busts taken before him.

People forget just how mediocre the start of Luke Hodges career was.

Sure its unlikely Stocker will end up the player of Hodge's caliber, but who knows what his future holds. Not every player is going to be a plug and play instant superstar like Walsh. Plenty of the greatest Carlton players of all time spent time playing defense, or developing in the 2s, in the early years.

People forget just how mediocre the start of Luke Hodges career was.

Sure its unlikely Stocker will end up the player of Hodge's caliber, but who knows what his future holds. Not every player is going to be a plug and play instant superstar like Walsh. Plenty of the greatest Carlton players of all time spent time playing defense, or developing in the 2s, in the early years.

No where in this thread have I capped Stocker’s potential as a footballer I just don’t think he has a high ceiling as a backman.

Knightmare's assessment of Stocker in 2018

Liam Stocker (VIC)
Height, Weight:
183cm, 83kg
Profile: Prolific contested ball-winner with clean skills who runs all day. Awarded the Morrish Medal for the TAC Cup's best and fairest.

His tank wasn't too bad back then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back