Free Agency Liam Stocker - signed by St Kilda

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
That’s a big wrap on Stocker, but also an indictment on the list. I’d have him in the best 22 but to have him even close to your top 5 picked is laughable.
He isn't in our top 5-10 players based on talent, but rather his attitude to the game and wisdom is something you would expect from an AFL captain.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
He isn't in our top 5-10 players based on talent, but rather his attitude to the game and wisdom is something you would expect from an AFL captain.

Ahh right, one of the first few picked in the team if we are using attitude and wisdom as the criteria rather than talent.

I’m going to have to back your judgment on your assessment of him based on that then.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Stocker wouldn’t have been one of the first picked at the start of the season (wasn’t even picked…), but he’s now entrenched in the side.

Has always had talent, it’s been about developing his all-round game, building his fitness and finding a role for him.

What has become apparent this year is not only his ceiling as a footballer but his capabilities and suitability as a leader of the club. It might sound OTT to an opposition supporter but I’d comfortably lump him in with Walsh, McKay, Weitering and Cripps as a stakeholder of the club and wouldn’t be surprised to see him elevated into the leadership group in the next couple of years.

He is an awesome prospect on a number of levels.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Idiocy has no time limit. To be honest, your reply to the original post probably wasn't warranted either, as 'one of the first picked' pretty much implies that there would be some others picked first.

I actually didn't notice the date until after I responded.

How many others?

Walsh
Weitering
McKay
Cripps
Saad
Cerra
Hewett

All those are clearly ahead of him. I mean, if by one of the first picked you mean, in the middle group of players, then sure.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
It’s a weird Bigfooty idiosyncrasy, but teams aren’t selected like lunchtime footy. The majority of your team are auto-selected every week and that’s done deliberately.

But in terms of importance going forward Stocker is easily on the same level as Cerra and Hewett and (IMO) as as important if not more important than Cripps.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
It’s a weird Bigfooty idiosyncrasy, but teams aren’t selected like lunchtime footy. The majority of your team are auto-selected every week and that’s done deliberately.

But in terms of importance going forward Stocker is easily on the same level as Cerra and Hewett and (IMO) as as important if not more important than Cripps.
That’s a big wrap.
As an opposition supporter I would much rather Cripps be a late withdrawal to the team to play us than Stocker.

Will watch him with interest next year.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
How many others?

Walsh
Weitering
McKay
Cripps
Saad
Cerra
Hewett

All those are clearly ahead of him. I mean, if by one of the first picked you mean, in the middle group of players, then sure.
Mate, it's Thursday. That post was way back on Wednesday...
But in all seriousness, I'd pick him ahead of Saad, Cerra and Hewett. It's not just purely about talent or statistical contribution. One of the first 5 picked from a list of 40 odd is pretty good.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
That’s a big wrap.
As an opposition supporter I would much rather Cripps be a late withdrawal to the team to play us than Stocker.

Will watch him with interest next year.

I don't think he's as good as Cripps (or Cerra or Hewett for that matter) but in terms of his importance going forward as a player and leader he's in the same bracket as Weitering, McKay or Walsh.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Stocker will gain midfield minutes in time and the recruitment of Cerra and Hewett won't effect Stocker's game time.
Zero chance he is going anywhere

With the level of of confidence in this post ..............................he'll be playing somewhere else next year.

It's just how Big Footy operates.............. ;) :thumbsu:

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
I don't think the addition of Cerra and Hewitt have made Carlton's midfield that strong that I'd be looking to move elsewhere to get midfield time. it's still one of the weaker midfields right?

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Thank god they hired Voss instead of you then!
Yeah, classic.
I have no doubt that you have similar type players at Essendon that you would consider one of the first players picked despite not necessarily being considered as good as some of those you would pick after him (as I'm sure all supporters of all clubs would), but please, continue being deliberately obtuse. You're quite good at it, so you might as well lean into it.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I don't think the addition of Cerra and Hewitt have made Carlton's midfield that strong that I'd be looking to move elsewhere to get midfield time. it's still one of the weaker midfields right?
I think it's probably mid-range. Still a few too many mids with one string to their bow and they all seem to have similar strings (Ed, Cripps, Kennedy, Dow, Setters). Slow, big bodied, inside players with questionable disposal.
A few more of the Walsh, Cerra, Hewett types can come through to add more flexibility, or the LOB, Fisher, Cuningham, Stocker, Kemp, Carroll types can either stay healthy long enough to get a good run at it, or push some of the others out, then things will be looking better.
We've got some speed, outside run and quality disposal type players on the list, but they just haven't made a name for themselves yet for various reasons (injured, out of favour, still developing). They obviously won't all make it, but we can't keep trying to squeeze Ed, Cripps, Kennedy, Dow and Setters into the same side.
Better than quite a few midfields, but obviously not at the level of the best teams. Could change quickly though and I'd like Stocker to be part of that midfield group that takes the next step.

Weird how this thread exists just to take thinly veiled, passive aggressive jabs at the blues.

Stocker going really well. Looks to love the club and appears an important piece going forward. /thread.
He’s out of contract. If he loves the club and is as important as you say he is, he’ll be quickly re-signed, the thread archived in the sub-board, and the thread starter will have egg on their face. Until then people are welcome to speculate, as they do with players at all clubs when they are out of contract.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Think he will wait re sign half way through the season to see if his form can up his contract value

But to add to the discussion over first selected, he seems to have a huge ceiling as a player but one who values playing the team role first and foremost, laying a lot of blocks and putting his body on the line when someone desperately needs to.

If he can improve his output this season I could easily see him becoming someone who oppo supporters bundle in with as a profiled Carlton player, in the same sense Simpson or a Bachar Houli was - largely unassuming and perhaps not an out and out superstar but someone every oppo player respects and points to for their attack on the footy and committment to the club they play for.

Think he'll end up a solid contributor whos above average without being elite - not the top shelf type but still someone who would never be questioned for his efforts towards trying to win a game.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
He’s out of contract. If he loves the club and is as important as you say he is, he’ll be quickly re-signed, the thread archived in the sub-board, and the thread starter will have egg on their face. Until then people are welcome to speculate, as they do with players at all clubs when they are out of contract.
Speculate...sure.

Speculate...sure.
Feel free to report anything that is breaking the rules. 🤷‍♀️ Otherwise head back to your club board if you don't like talking to supporters of other clubs about your players.

Depth wise yes but in terms of pure starting centre square mids it’s one of the strongest

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think it's probably mid-range. Still a few too many mids with one string to their bow and they all seem to have similar strings (Ed, Cripps, Kennedy, Dow, Setters). Slow, big bodied, inside players with questionable disposal.
A few more of the Walsh, Cerra, Hewett types can come through to add more flexibility, or the LOB, Fisher, Cuningham, Stocker, Kemp, Carroll types can either stay healthy long enough to get a good run at it, or push some of the others out, then things will be looking better.
We've got some speed, outside run and quality disposal type players on the list, but they just haven't made a name for themselves yet for various reasons (injured, out of favour, still developing). They obviously won't all make it, but we can't keep trying to squeeze Ed, Cripps, Kennedy, Dow and Setters into the same side.
Better than quite a few midfields, but obviously not at the level of the best teams. Could change quickly though and I'd like Stocker to be part of that midfield group that takes the next step.
What about Zach Williams and Jack Martin.
Weren't they recruited to play 50/50 mid forward?

Back