Free Agency Liam Stocker - signed by St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Be interesting to see how it turns out. Was he done no favours by the Blues?
Obviously Blues fans would know more than me but it's interesting that he was voted their best young player in 2021 and then delisted a year later.

Clearly Voss doesn't rate him.

Apparently been injury free this preseason which has made a big difference for him and he says he’s not playing as deep. Much more of a rebounding role off HB, with Sinclair and Wanganeen-Milera.

No shortage of competition for spots in defence (Sinclair, Clark, Coffield, Wangmil, Webster and Paton all shorter options who have generally played when fit in the last two years), so will be interesting to see if he gets a look in.

Apparently been injury free this preseason which has made a big difference for him and he says he’s not playing as deep. Much more of a rebounding role off HB, with Sinclair and Wanganeen-Milera.

No shortage of competition for spots in defence (Sinclair, Clark, Coffield, Wangmil, Webster and Paton all shorter options who have generally played when fit in the last two years), so will be interesting to see if he gets a look in.

St Kilda have better options creating off half back, particularly those who can break lines. You’d be best playing him as a traditional nuggety back pocket who can lockdown a small and move the ball long by foot.

Or better yet, give him an extended run on ball (the position he was drafted aa and excelled in). He still has an average tank by AFL standards but some players don’t need to run 16km a game to have a positive impact. Suspect he may be one of them. He’s a smart footballer.

St Kilda have better options creating off half back, particularly those who can break lines. You’d be best playing him as a traditional nuggety back pocket who can lockdown a small and move the ball long by foot.

Or better yet, give him an extended run on ball (the position he was drafted aa and excelled in). He still has an average tank by AFL standards but some players don’t need to run 16km a game to have a positive impact. Suspect he may be one of them. He’s a smart footballer.
I haven’t paid much attention to him, so what’s his speed like? Both Webster and Paton have been in the team back there to play those lockdown roles (on the Charlie Cameron types) and they’re both very quick.

And what’s his kicking like?

We’ve now got quite a lot of guys pushing for a spot in the midfield, with Bytel finally looking like he might start to live up to the potential he showed in the juniors, Clark apparently training there and looking good, Windhager expected to continue playing there and then young Owens another eventual option, plus of course Phillipou.

So there’s a bit of a queue forming. A likely changing of the guard over the next couple of seasons.

I haven’t paid much attention to him, so what’s his speed like? Both Webster and Paton have been in the team back there to play those lockdown roles (on the Charlie Cameron types) and they’re both very quick.

And what’s his kicking like?

We’ve now got quite a lot of guys pushing for a spot in the midfield, with Bytel finally looking like he might start to live up to the potential he showed in the juniors, Clark apparently training there and looking good, Windhager expected to continue playing there and then young Owens another eventual option, plus of course Phillipou.

So there’s a bit of a queue forming. A likely changing of the guard over the next couple of seasons.
not fast and kicking was with us, patchy, could execute difficult kicks with ease then miskick an easy one directly to an opponent.

best traits were attack on the ball, attack on the player and effort. reckon his speed and endurance aren't great but in a more suitable environment his kicking will clear up and he'll look like a tidy get, especially for free.

Yeah really glad for him. Was worried when he left he was gonna disappear into the sunset, maybe play for some grass roots league or something, as it happens with some players. Now he's strutting his stuff at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needed a kick up the bum and a delisting + pre season with Ross has clearly done that. Great stuff from the young man putting in a mountain of work to get himself fit enough to show his wares, always had the ability to play, just never had the tank. Apparently set a few of his teammates offside because of it which was the reason for the abrupt exit.

Hopefully goes on to have a good career and maybe one day we'll get to see him in the middle where he dominated in juniors

I will ask again.

Plowman had a contract, more runs on the board at the level, seemingly fits in well with the playing group, or at least better than Liam did.

Very happy for Stocker, I think this is the change he needed. He’s a footballer first and sometimes that gets lost in todays game. He can be a long term player for the Saints.

The fact there's no real expectations on him and every game isn't under a microscope (because of what Carlton gave up for him, which is fair) could be giving him some freedom to just enjoy football again, playing for the club he supported growing up probably helps.

Plowman had a contract, more runs on the board at the level, seemingly fits in well with the playing group, or at least better than Liam did.

Very happy for Stocker, I think this is the change he needed. He’s a footballer first and sometimes that gets lost in todays game. He can be a long term player for the Saints.

Another great game by Stocker still bemused how he was let go.

Another great game by Stocker still bemused how he was let go.
He was overweight, lazy and we had too many ahead of him - Saad, Docherty, Newman, Williams and Boyd. He's turned things around since and looks noticeably fitter, probably just needed a bit of a kick up the ass and a shock delisting will certainly do that, but in his years at Carlton it consistently held him back.

Every Carlton fan I know including myself thought he was a natural footballer but if you can't keep up with your direct opponent because you're gassed by the 3rd quarter u simply can't continue being selected.

Think nearly all of us are quite happy to see him doing well. Great kid and always treated the fans with respect and spoke about the pride and expectation of representing them when he went out on field. Wish him well for the rest of his career.

He has had a great start to his career.

As much as I loved Ben Long, it’s a clear upgrade and great list management.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back